Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

Result of a day's work: Stone Golem, the Maulotaur replacement. Character design and the sprite itself.

59068916_StoneGolem-Maulotaur-design.png.c2597735093c7913e8ffef29a3a64236.pngStoneGolem.png.c52a69a470e956af2b0deaee10686ce0.png

If that quality is acceptable, I will keep working on other frames. If not, I'd appreciate feedback so I can improve, this is first Doom sprite (well, Heretic but you get the point) in my life.

That looks really awesome!!

Thank you, it's great to see progress in Blasphemer.

Did you check to keep it within Heretic's color palette?

I used the palette I found in the Experimental branch of the Blasphemer Github. It appears to be slightly different from Heretic (for example, pink tones appear to be replaced with lilac).

The concepts looks very good!

22 hours ago, Ferk said:

That looks really awesome!!

Thank you, it's great to see progress in Blasphemer.

Did you check to keep it within Heretic's color palette?

The palette is slightly different, but was tested to be compatible

Your Stone Golem looks very nice, please keep it up!

Do you draw by hand straight away or did you make a model first?

Am I the only one who thinks the design is too close to Shovel Knight or something?

Spoiler

5a4199056d54b75c6d3193ec8539f955

Edited by Danfun64

Armors with horned helmets are not shovel knight exclusive property. Golden Axe anyone?

image.png.6742c988c947b7eb8488984abb45c6f0.pnglatest?cb=20190519142832images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlRbKjGRwzzcZgURTvkby

On 9/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, MrFlibble said:

Your Stone Golem looks very nice, please keep it up!

Do you draw by hand straight away or did you make a model first?

Actually first I made a digital painting with a tablet, shrunk it down to about Maulotaur size, converted it to Blasphemer palette with automatic dithering in GIMP, and then I proceeded to touch it up by hand manually. From what I've tried, Doom engine artstyle uses a bit too many colors at once to bother doing the smooth gradients by hand by literaly placing every single pixel, like you would do with most spritework.

But I considered making a 3D model, if work will be going too slowly, I will probably do that.

As for Shovel Knight - I imagine the similarity is because such horned helmets did exist in real life. I assure you that Shovel Knight was the last thing on my mind when designing him.

image.png.2890d71a1bb77468563fb5d90dcaa36b.pngEFDCXH.jpg.ce9277f086df49b8902e941c3d3f56fd.jpg

The lack of activity in the thread may also have been an issue.

Definitely approve of Wereknight's weapon sprites so far, although would have to see them animated to know for certain.

Blasphemer is unlikely to get finished soon anyway. Freedoom's been going for a really long time and there's still clear signs of unfinished jank.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, Tartlman said:

Blasphemer is unlikely to get finished soon anyway. Freedoom's been going for a really long time and there's still clear signs of unfinished jank.

Well, that's a given, but i was a little disappointed when it happened, especially when we were so close to an SP release :\

Also, i second DooMad sentiment, the sprites looks very good.

On 1/12/2020 at 2:18 AM, Wereknight said:

Also, would you be interested in such things?

R8kjdtz.png

j8xfKuG.png

It's great to see how your artistic skill has grown over these years, you're producing amazing looking art :) Both weapons definitely look lovable, would you be willing to take a stab at some monster designs too?

Wish I'd have more mapping practice to help this project. Even so, I hope you continue. This is a great project and the textures you already have are way better than the originals.

It looks like it was last updated 3 years ago. From what I can tell most of what needs to be done is maps(it's got alot of placeholders), a bunch of projectile sprites and a few other things.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's on hiatus but I'd love to hear from one of the devs.

I should probably re-do or make newer sounds for some of the lower quality crap I've thrown in for placeholders honestly.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:07 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Is this project (and Zauberer for that matter) still maintained or is it in limbo?

Well, i'm here. I still log in semi regurarly and while i'm not active on the discord server, i always make sure to log in once in a while. I do plan to merge in the "experimental" branch soon, i'd hoped to merge it once we had enough submissions to reach DM ready or even SP-demo, but alas it never happened.
I do have some maps "in progress", but it's been a while since i've mapped consistently.

@Cacowad

Well, I would offer any/all of my map layouts as libre/open source if you have use of them.  I guess for the ones that went into group releases you might want to ask the project leads if there'd be any problem with that but I'd think my maps are still my maps to offer.  I also have one map that's basically complete and playable but that I never got around to releasing anywhere, not even on my site.

Most of them probably need a little tweaking to be usable (swapping out texture edits or contributing adjusted versions for the ones I drew myself to work with the project palette/iconography) but I can poke at that if it's of interest.

https://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/heretic-addons.html

"Valley of Saints" and "Mountain King's Domain" are probably my favorites if you want suggestions of what to look at first.

That's quite generous, thank you! I'll get some free time starting next week, so hopefully i'll get a good look then.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:25 AM, Cacowad said:

I do plan to merge in the "experimental" branch soon

BTW, what happened to @Wereknight's Skullflare replacement that was repurposed as the Gargoyle sprite sheet? If I remember correctly he pulled out (some of) his art made for Freed∞m when he moved over to The People's Doom development (but some of his props are still used in FD I think). Would be a shame to lose that work because it's pretty cool and shouldn't clash with either the theme or other assets in Blasphemer.