Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noshutdown

Is BTSX the best vanilla-compatible megawad so far?

well, talking about "best" can always be controversial, but in terms of map design, visual effects, and difficulty, i havn't seen any vanilla megawads matching it yet. there are many other great megawads, but most of them use boom features and require limit removing.

maybe the only drawbacks are not filling all 32 level slots, and the end of episode2 remains dubious.

In some ways I'd consider it the most impressive, or at least in that tier, but "map design" and "difficulty" remain points of contention. Quite a few players would rate other older and newer vanilla-compatible megawads higher on those two items alone. Being the best matters less than bringing some valid and unique approach or theme/set of themes to vanilla which hasn't happened yet.

I still waiting for Episode 2 to get a final release (how does this take so long!?) so I cant really judge it much, but it does seem to the biggest one out there in, errr. production values?

It depends largely on how you define "best", that's a highly subjective topic.

In terms of visuals and atmosphere, BTSX is certainly one of the most impressive vanilla-compatible wads I've played, but there's other great wads that were made for vanilla, with classics such as HR, AV, and especially Eternal Doom (honestly, considering the complexity of the maps and the visuals, ED is easily one of the most ambitious things to come out in the '90s).

Edited by seed

@Jaws In Space There are also The Darkening E1 (1999) and E2 (2000) which are 2 really good wads imho (though they are not megawads as they only have 11 and 12 levels respectively).

I do love me some BTSX. Episode 2 especially is impressive to me, with large detailed maps like Speedtraps, Unstable Journey, and Fireking being vanilla compatible. Looking forward to when it gets a final release (and Episode 3 releasing, too!).

I still have a soft spot for the Memento Moris though.

The two BTSX WADs are unquestionably among the very top of vanilla compatible mods, but my favorite, even after 19 years, is still The Darkening Episode 2.

What Graf said. The Darkening Episode II is a wad I tend to go back to when I feel like playing something well designed, is a joy to play and an inspiration in the level design department.

Not the best for me, but one of the most memorable and alongside E2 one of the most impressive vanilla compatible wads, but still not worthy of being the best, that would be Plutonia 3.

I would nominate Kama Sutra 2 for its impressive vanilla-compat work, but it's unfinished so no one can play it :(

Personal favorite vanilla-compatible?: Memento Mori 2

Technical standpoint?: BTSX/Plutonia 2/NEIS(minus 4th episode)/Plutonia Revisited are about even.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:17 AM, Roofi said:

Nothing beats Kama Sutra for me.

Words to live by...