• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memerz1

Doom Megawad Survey (2019)

Doom Megawad Survey (2019)  

50 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What kind of Doom Megawads do you typically enjoy currently?

• "Vanilla" Old-School style Megawads (Use little to no custom assets)
    • Modern Megawads made for source ports like GZDoom and Doomsday (Push the game to it's technical limit)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/30/19 at 07:50 PM

Self explanatory; I'm thinking about starting work on a Megawad, but I'm not sure on what direction to take it.

Edited by Memerz1 : Edit: I messed up the way the poll was formatted.

Everything @Pegleg says is good advice.  Make what you enjoy making, and keep in mind that you're excluding a huge middleground with your two options.  Even bigger than Pegleg suggests actually, since "little to no custom assets" would even exclude projects like Requiem or MM, since vanilla or not, they have lots of custom patches and textures.

I donno, I think you're offering a bit too simple a choice. I tend to enjoy things that have a strong, retro-flavored creative vision that works well with the particular "affordances" provided by whatever Doom-related tech the author uses. I adore Going Down and The Given, which use strictly vanilla textures and 90s engine tech (Boom and limit-removing Doom, respectively) but nonetheless have very distinct visions for look, feel, gameplay, etc. On the other hand, I've really enjoyed Shadow/Rise of the Wool Ball, Mayhem Mansion, Void and Rainbow, and other modern- and highly customized stuff that has a strong (and usually wacky) authorial point of view.

When it comes to modern stuff, what turns me off are mods that seem to be frustrated attempts at modern, professional games (like the authors consider Doom-related tech a second-best option and are simply making do) or alternately "Doom with lots of kewl shit dude," i.e. people just adding stuff onto the core Doom gameplay without really having a strong, motivating vision. Doom is a wonderful canvas, but its core design is also incredibly rock-solid, particularly the gameplay and weapon/enemy dynamic. In my experience, it's often much, much trickier to augment or even just vary the fundamentals than you first expect. Plenty of people succeed, but it seems to take a certain clarity of intention and discipline.

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

you're excluding a huge middleground with your two options

I really didn't think of that when intentionally making this poll. I typically like vanilla-like wads; because I can throw in as many mods in as I want without worrying about things getting mixed up and corrupted. But I also think making certain types of subtle/minute texture changes that require GZDoom Builder specific tools won't hurt either. Example: Rotating a vanilla texture to look less janky.

13 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

I'm still holding out for a megawad with nothing in the wad but maps.

In my experience of doing something very close, people then complain about the lack of a new title screen, level names, and music.

2 hours ago, Memerz1 said:

I'm thinking about starting work on a Megawad, but I'm not sure on what direction to take it.

And I'm hopefully going to keep you from making the mistake of going for a megaWAD right away, for the very same reasons I (and others) have stated multiple times in other threads already...

You have little to no hands on experience with making maps, so any map you make to begin with will take you a rather long time to produce. Also, because you have so little experience under your belt, your mapping "style" and the quality of your maps will develop quite fast early on, meaning once your megaWAD is finished, it will be an entirely incoherent jumble of maps that differ in quality to a great degree.

Before you even think about building a megaWAD, try building just one decent map with a play-time of 5-10 minutes that plays properly and doesn't cause for example softlocks. When that's done, and you have received some feedback on your work, you can start thinking bigger, by which I mean episode replacements, and ultimately megaWADs.

And no, I'm not saying this because I'm underestimating you, I'm saying this because you underestimate the amount of work that goes into a single decent map, let alone 32.

On DoomWorld, I think you're gonna see most people leaning towards vanilla, limit-removing, Boom, and MBF WADs. GZDoom is cool, but this community consists of mostly purists. That's my take on it, at least. I started on GZDoom, but have since gotten away from it and haven't used it in months.

2 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

I started on GZDoom, but haven't used it in months.

I started on GZDoom, but haven't used it in months for years. That's me ;P  It's because someone posted a PrBoom+ config file that turned off the filter for me, so I could enjoy PrBoom+ from then.

While I like more modern megawads. I decided old school because they usually end up being better wads. That might be because theres a limited number of assets so you can streamline your focus on those and not get carried away with said assets.

10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I started on GZDoom, but haven't used it in months for years. That's me ;P  It's because someone posted a PrBoom+ config file that turned off the filter for me, so I could enjoy PrBoom+ from then.

I went from 1080p GZDoom to 640x480 PrBoom+. Why did I buy a gaming monitor again? lol

Just now, NerdyButLazy said:

I went from 1080p GZDoom to 640x480 PrBoom+. Why did I buy a gaming monitor again? lol

Lol, you're more "extreme" than me. I was used to 1920*1200, so it's difficult for me to switch now. Maybe you should set a CRT or something to be more pure ;P

46 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Lol, you're more "extreme" than me. I was used to 1920*1200, so it's difficult for me to switch now. Maybe you should set a CRT or something to be more pure ;P

Lol! I'm trying not to cling to the past tooooo much. :P I already have a massive CRT in my basement for retro console gaming. She's turning green.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

On 9/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, Capellan said:

In my experience of doing something very close, people then complain about the lack of a new title screen, level names, and music.

I would ignore those people, because I'm the sheriff of these here parts

pikachu.png.1ceb4161866ea957b7d3c06c242285c2.png