Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

I had it on DOSDOOM comp level, I thought that would be fine.  I switched it to ULTIMATE DOOM and I was able to go through.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

I have encountered a strange glitch in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 where when I watch back demos for some reason all the sound except the game music isn’t played and my controls like pausing the game or stopping the demo are locked and I have to alt F4 to exit or I can click my mouse and that seems to fix the game sounds and demo controls. I haven’t had this problem until recently.

As far as I am aware (that is, after testing playback of all available Dosdoom .47 demos), the only difference between complevels 3 and 5 occurs if there is a spechits overflow. All available demos recorded with Doosdoom .47 play back OK when -complevel 5 is forced, and all without overflows play back OK when -complevel 3 is forced.

more info

Sector 147: That sounds like something that can happen if two instances of the program have been started.

On the subject of using complevels for general play (as opposed to recording or playback), I shall quote myself, as I suspect this point is not widely known:

If you're just playing normally or practicing stuff, then the simplest way to make sure of getting -complevel 2 behaviour (or any other complevel) is to set it via the "default compatibility level" in the in-game menus.

OPTIONS -> GENERAL -> (second page) -> DEFAULT COMPATIBILITY LEVEL

Set it to "DOOM/2 V1.9"

Then exit the program and restart.

It will then apply -complevel 2 behaviour every time you run Prboom+ until you change this setting and unless you override it from the command line or by playing back a demo.

If you only set the complevel from the command line, then I don't think it preserves that setting upon loading a save or if you start a new game, etc. The distinction doesn't matter so much if you are recording a demo, since if you fail you'll just restart the program in any case. But for casual play or practice, it makes a difference.

Remember that as long as you have this setting, it will always try to play maps as if you are using Doom2.exe. So Boom maps won't work right, and Ultimate Doom won't have episode 4 and there will be a few more subtle differences too. Any individual compatibility settings will also be ignored.

Edited by Grazza

Why does GLBoom+ have a nice textured automap but not PRBoom+? Is there some kind of technical limitation in Software mode?

26 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Why does GLBoom+ have a nice textured automap but not PRBoom+? Is there some kind of technical limitation in Software mode?

There's nothing pre-existing in Doom's renderer for it, no.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

I suspect that textured automap need GL-Nodes.

9 minutes ago, Josuke said:

I know this has been answered quite a bit, but how do I load pwads?

With a command line argument, the easiest way.

Ex: -iwad doom2.wad -file av.wad.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

With a command line argument, the easiest way.

Ex: -iwad doom2.wad -file av.wad.

I dragged it over the exe and it loaded, so new question I guess: how do I remove keybinds?

2 minutes ago, Josuke said:

I dragged it over the exe and it loaded, so new question I guess: how do I remove keybinds?

You can't remove keybinds in 2.5.1.4. You can in the newest beta, though.

1 hour ago, Josuke said:

Not even via config file? (also, gonna need the link to said beta)

I'm pretty sure you can via config file -- just erase whatever is next to the action. It will read "junk" in the menus. I think I did this to unbind the weapon scrolling via mouse wheel.

@lazy91geek is likely referring to the 2.5.1.5 "test" version. A download link is at the top of this page: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

Is there anyway to prevent a wad from altering the menu? In Eviternity, selected options are no longer highlighted, which is annoying when trying to adjust settings quickly. I'm also having some serious framerate issues(Linux, nvidia, good pc, capped framerate: off, vsync: off) compared to other source ports, but I'm probably just setting things up wrong.

I seem to have run into a bit of an odd issue I'm hoping someone can help with. I just bought a new computer and copied over my prboom folder to run some demos to test it out on some slaughtermap demos, but when I run it the framerate is capped at 30fps. V-Sync was enabled, but I disabled it first thinking it might some weird issue with the 144hz screen, but that didn't have any effect, and UncappedFramerate was already enabled. I checked the ini and the only fps command I could find was the cap_fps for vid dumping, and I didn't see anything relating to refresh rate at all, so I'm kinda at a loss. PRBoom doesn't appear to have this issue. Anyone experience this before or just have an idea of what might be causing it?

okay nevermind seems to be some stupid thing related to running unplugged i guess

Edited by siteod

On 9/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, manmoth said:

Is there anyway to prevent a wad from altering the menu? In Eviternity, selected options are no longer highlighted, which is annoying when trying to adjust settings quickly. I'm also having some serious framerate issues(Linux, nvidia, good pc, capped framerate: off, vsync: off) compared to other source ports, but I'm probably just setting things up wrong.

I will echo the first point that it's super annoying when a wad's custom font breaks option highlighting in the menu. As for framerate; PRBoom+ does not like 32bit mode so switch to 8bit if you haven't. GLBoom+ is easily the fastest port and should not be running slower than anything else.

9 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I will echo the first point that it's super annoying when a wad's custom font breaks option highlighting in the menu. 

This is mostly fixed in the UMAPINFO fork now. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:36 AM, manmoth said:

In Eviternity, selected options are no longer highlighted, which is annoying when trying to adjust settings quickly.

The problem with highlighting stems from how it is done in the port. It uses special color tables that span the entire palette, with all the shades of red altered to whatever the new color must be. Thus, only red fonts will be recolored. This can be fixed by providing new tables with the wad that replaces the font, but no one really does that, in my experience.

I was thinking of making a new thread, but I will first ask on here, since I am a silly goose:

how does one get to command lines in the first place?

I just downloaded the latest PRBoom+ build, plus the ZDL launcher. I've tried the drag and drop method, but it always says "DOOM2.WAD not present." What does this mean (I have the Doom2.wad in the same folder.) If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, obake said:

how does one get to command lines in the first place? 

on windows 10 you can hold shift and right click in the prboom folder and there should be an option for "Open Command Prompt Window Here"

1 hour ago, kaleb. said:

on windows 10 you can hold shift and right click in the prboom folder and there should be an option for "Open Command Prompt Window Here"

That makes sense. Thanks so much for helping!

Edit: Darn, even knowing how to open the command console has not helped me get PRboom to work.

Edited by obake

well if it helps an example of running a wad thru CMD
if i want to play Speed of Doom with DOOM2.WAD as an iwad on GLBoom+ i'd type

glboom-plus.exe -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file SODFinal.wad

the wad file will need to be in the folder with GLBoom+ to work, of course.

Any plans for allowing multiple Custom pwads to contribute textures to levels?