Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pop13lolol

whats your favorite thing the doom devs did after doom?

Quake 2.

The first one is good of course, but I prefer the sequel for the integration of story elements into the gameplay/level design. It had a unique atmosphere similar in tone to "Out of This World" (the scifi side-scrolling game made by Eric Chahi). Half-Life and Q2 were the essentially the start of deeper interactivity and storytelling in mainstream FPS games.

EDIT: In addition, Sandy Petersen also worked on Age of Empires and AoE2.

my fave thing they did is publish hexen lol
the stupid jeff k columns about ion storm were pretty good too i think we can blame id for that

The original Quake, definitely.

And based on what I've seen so far in videos, Daikatana has a good chance of actually being quite good with the unofficial patch (I'm not being sarcastic here at all).

OG Quake, solely for the more powerful out-of-box modding and multiplayer support it gave to fans back in the day. I think Doom's combat design has more to offer, but there's a ton of ideas you can easily do with Quake maps by comparison. The last several years of Quake mapping/modding have really shown idtech2's potential, plus what crazy stuff a community of talented and experienced designers can produce even after relative lulls of activity.

Quake I definitely. I have spent a _LOT_ of time playing Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena online and liked it. But Quake 1 definitely had the best atmosphere, graphics style and singleplayer experience for me.

After that there was a bunch of irrelevant stuff. The latest Doom (2016) was cool, but not as groundbreaking as Quake was at that time.

Quake II, hands down. Quake III paled to Unreal Tournament, and while Quake 1 was impressive technically (and deathmatch was fun as hell according to all those old-timers), the inconsistency irked the hell out of me.

I've put more hours into quake and maybe even Doom 3, but if we're counting things they did after leaving Id I'm going to say Anachronox. If I didn't have quake, I'd still have Doom. If I didn't have Doom 3 I'd still have SS2 and thief 3 etc... But if Anachronox didn't exist where else would I get an American jrpg styled game made on the quake 2 engine set in an absurdist universe?

At least that's how I feel today. Tomorrow I might've said quake.

Quake 2 is really good. And not sure if it counts as it's not "after" Doom, but Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy is worthy of a mention too.

Quake 1 is okay, but it's just way too Doom-y except without everything i love from Doom (Modding was great tho).

Quake 3 is good, but i'll take Unreal Tournament 99 over it any day. Shame it isn't open-source though, so we can't see it in many other platforms like all the other cool 90's games.

About all the other things, i only ever played Doom 3 out of them since i really can't run the other things, and didn't like it much.

Quake 1 and Doom 3 for me. I really haven't played much of Quake II tbh but i did like what i have played so i don't hate that game. But i enjoy Quake 1 more for some reason.

I've only played Quake III Arena with bots so...it was still fun though. I have actually played Unreal Tournament GOTY against people (a huge lobby with my friends/fellow forumers from an old website a few years ago) and that i must admit that it was pretty fun.

I haven't gotten around to playing Daikatana yet so i can't comment on that game but i will definitely be using the patch whenever i do.