Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

4 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

My first thought was: "What? No, that's impossible, given everything I know about pacifist." So I watched the video (which I'd been meaning to for awhile). So, yeah, wow, it is technically possible. That's amazing that someone would even think of that mechanic with the arch-vile flames.

And, of course, it was ZeroMaster who did it.

4 hours ago, Pegleg said:

My first thought was: "What? No, that's impossible, given everything I know about pacifist." So I watched the video (which I'd been meaning to for awhile). So, yeah, wow, it is technically possible. That's amazing that someone would even think of that mechanic with the arch-vile flames.

And, of course, it was ZeroMaster who did it.

ZeroMaster's a god.

Zero Master also accomplished another Doom challenge thought to be impossible. Right after decino's video aswell.

What an absolute savage madman.

4 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Zero Master also accomplished another Doom challenge thought to be impossible. Right after decino's video aswell.

What an absolute savage madman.

Of course he did!

This is only a minor sprite detail, but after all my years of playing, watching and editing this game, I only just recently noticed that the zombieman and shotgun guy both grab their torso with their right hand as they fall in their death animations. To me it always looked like they lie on the ground with both arms down, so it's a neat little detail that I honestly never spotted before.

So only just now after looking at the thumbnail above did I notice that mancubi have blood at the back end of their cannons.

I've just found out, while working on a new map, that there is a big difference between zero-height sectors and actual empty spaces with regards to visplanes, and that even the actual floor and ceiling height values of those zero-height sectors seem to matter.

So, if you have two rooms each full of visplanes, but not enough to exceed the visplane limit respectively, you can still get a visplane overflow if

- between those two rooms, there is a zero-height sector instead of an empty space AND the two rooms (and the zero-height sector) make for a combined number of visplanes of more than 128 (or whatever your port has for its limit);

- the height values of the floor and ceiling of the zero-height sector, while being both the same, are non-zero.

In other words, this means that Doom renders everything, visible and invisible, that is part of a sector, as a visplane, without regards to the sector's height and visibility, while not rendering stuff that is behind an empty space.

Interestingly, even the Visplane Explorer does show that difference.

It's probably just a coincidence, but the ceiling in MAP30's main room pulsates in sync with the music. It's not perfect though.

The Chaingunner has a gibbing animation. How come i never noticed this while spamming rockets on them?

45 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

I've just found out, while working on a new map, that there is a big difference between zero-height sectors and actual empty spaces with regards to visplanes, and that even the actual floor and ceiling height values of those zero-height sectors seem to matter.

Doom's software renderer was designed to efficiently collect and process scene information, it doesn't have the capability, nor the intent, to do any kind of occlusion culling (frankly not even 3D renderers could do this remotely efficiently until relatively recently with occlusion queries).
Put simply, the renderer can't know in advance what cannot actually be seen. And because Doom collects this information based entirely on X/Y coordinates because of its BSP lookup, it can't even detect this by height either. "Empty space" is the only thing that stops it in the vanilla renderer because scene collection stops passed single sided lines, there's an explicit guarantee that nothing beyond a single sided line will ever be seen, so it stops scanning when it reaches one. This is expanded upon in Boom-based ports which do actually include zero-height sectors in this process, but vanilla Doom never bothered with that distinction.

20 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

The Chaingunner has a gibbing animation. How come i never noticed this while spamming rockets on them?

I think it has to do with the pseudo-RNG with how the rocket damage rarely exceeds the HWD's max health number.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:15 AM, kristus said:

I think it has more to do with how similar it is to the regular death animation

Oh yeah:

4kjqx5B.jpg

I've never really noticed the chaingunner's sling until now, perhaps because it blends in with the dark environment.

I might have discovered something while playing Dark Encounters. Unless this was added by the wad, GZDoom literally has an exit message saying "Try co-op in Zandronum." 1.0

Was recording video for celebrating Doom 2 25th Anniversary and THIS HAPPEN,entire question about quickload just gone and rest of message moved to the left

setup_036.avi_snapshot_02.40_[2019.09.23_16.05.26].png

Edited by D1m3

53 minutes ago, seed said:

I might have discovered something while playing Dark Encounters. Unless this was added by the wad, GZDoom literally has an exit message saying "Try co-op in Zandronum." 1.0

It is added by Dark Encounters. GZDoom by itself doesn't change the quit messages, or any other string.

It still has the strings about leaving to DOS even though I don't think GZDoom has ever run on DOS.

2 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

(Re: Doom 25 year message in vanilla)

Wait what? Is this a joke? Has no one ever uncovered that Easter egg in the source or IWAD or wherever it is until now?

That's the name of the savegame.

Lmao dammit, it's too early. I literally just downloaded 1.666 and fired up my hex editor to go searching for this string in case it had gotten lost during the open sourcing or something. I was so excited for some random datetime easter egg everyone had somehow missed and forgotten about

On 7/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, Gez said:

Also the next person who makes a Heretic or Hexen map has got to include an item called the Arch-Vial.

Don't you tempt me.

I already put "Tomb of Power" on my list of possible future map titles thanks to the perennial tome/tomb confusion from some people.

3 hours ago, D1m3 said:

Was recording video for celebrating Doom 2 25th Anniversary and THIS HAPPEN,entire question about quickload just gone and rest of message moved to the left

setup_036.avi_snapshot_02.40_[2019.09.23_16.05.26].png

2 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

Lmao dammit, it's too early. I literally just downloaded 1.666 and fired up my hex editor to go searching for this string in case it had gotten lost during the open sourcing or something. I was so excited for some random datetime easter egg everyone had somehow missed and forgotten about

It wouldn't have been the first program to have specific things happen or display different things on a particular date, but it would have been rather odd for it to have been specific to version 1.666 only.

I wonder if Carmack, Romero, and company even thought Doom would still be as popular it is 25+ years later (yes, it's relatively niche, but it's still a remarkably popular niche), especially after they had moved on to Quake and other things.