Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pioter

DOOM floppy v1.66

Hi, I found this in the attic. I have a question whether this doom episode one v1.66 has any value?

70730162_604009786797712_4751960268790038528_n.jpg

Shareware disks rarely have any real value, unfortunately. The very nature of the medium meant that anyone could print their own disks and distribute them, and there are countless varieties of shareware disks floating around.

Ebay/Amazon are full of inflated prices even for Shareware disks (IT'S RETRO BRO) so they possibly have some value to someone, although i'm not really sure if anyone is buying them. I'd just hold on to it if i were you. It'll look neat on a shelf.

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Ebay/Amazon are full of inflated prices even for Shareware disks (IT'S RETRO BRO) so they possibly have some value to someone, although i'm not really sure if anyone is buying them. I'd just hold on to it if i were you. It'll look neat on a shelf.

I wonder if anyone has actually bought any such discs. You would have to be ultra obsessed.

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

I wonder if anyone has actually bought any such discs. You would have to be ultra obsessed.

Especially since floppy drives are all but missing from modern PCs, though you can buy ones that hook up via USB of course.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Especially since floppy drives are all but missing from modern PCs, though you can buy ones that hook up via USB of course.

You could not even connect a floppy drive to a modern motherboard.

Are those floppies even readable after all these years?

I remember floppies becoming unreadable often after just a few months. Even some CD-Rs would suffer from that problem after a few years.

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Die-hard collectors me thinks. People who spend money on something like this likely don't do it because they actually want to play the said games, they just want something of supposedly reasonable value and rarity sitting in their collection.

Anyway, on topic, they might have some value, but it's shareware, and all versions ever released are available and collected on idgames. You can also get them here. The physical items themselves might hold some value, but not the actual contents on the floppies.

1 hour ago, Get Phobo said:

Are those floppies even readable after all these years?

I remember floppies becoming unreadable often after just a few months.

It depends on a lot of factors, probably most especially the storage conditions of the disk. If they were in a dry environment without extreme temperatures, that'd increase the chances significantly.

Quality of drives and disks themselves at manufacturing time factors into it, too. Though probably not an issue for 1994 disks, ones made in the late 1990s and early 2000s tended to be of very low quality that would die quickly, even while disks from the 1980s and early 1990s can still be perfectly good to this day.

13 hours ago, chungy said:

It depends on a lot of factors, probably most especially the storage conditions of the disk. If they were in a dry environment without extreme temperatures, that'd increase the chances significantly.

Storage conditions were always good. Room temperature, not too humid.

Quality of drives and disks themselves at manufacturing time factors into it, too. Though probably not an issue for 1994 disks, ones made in the late 1990s and early 2000s tended to be of very low quality that would die quickly, even while disks from the 1980s and early 1990s can still be perfectly good to this day.

But yes, 80s and early 90s disks were a lot better than the ones produced later. Similar thing with vinyls from the late 80s and early 90s. Sound quality was deliberately worsened by some labels to push CD sales. Today's vinyl have very good quality even though digital audio today is also a lot better than what we had in the 80s.

Edited by Get Phobo