Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

What are you reading now?

Like Katamoris' thread but for books and comics.

Solaris (Stanislaw Lem) - A sci-fi novel about a planet whos' ocean is one singular "living" creature, I'm only a few pages in and the way Lem writes makes the planet feel ominous and mysterious.

Vattu - A fantasy epic on an alien world. Although it has a protagonist the story takes its time to explore some the side characters and their cultures. One thing I really like about the characters is there aren't any characters that are pure evil, as we get to see from the perspective of most of them.

Paranatural - A fantasy/comedy about a group of middle schoolers investigating paranormal activites. The comic gets pretty creative with its' panels and art, and it's one of the funnier comics out there.

Edison Rex - A character study of a villain that succeeds in killing the hero and tries desperetaly to convince the masses he can be more than a bad guy. (now on an indefinite hiatus)

Marblegate - A comfy D&D themed adventure with some interesting characters.

Total Drama Shitshow - It's incredible how this shitpost made me so invested in these stupid characters.

TF2 Comics -

IoaFKSP.jpg

Edited by Rince-wind

I finished reading the manga adaptation of Makai Tenshou a couple of days ago. An entertaining slice of dark fantasy ultra-violent shlock. 

23.jpg

Edited by Ajora

3 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

What was it originally?

A novel written by Futaro Yamada in 1967. There are countless movie and anime adaptations (I highly recommend the 1981 action movie; 'Samurai Reincarnation' starring Sonny Chiba), and it served as the main inspiration for Samurai Shodown's story. 

I've been reading some olde sci-fi lately. Going through some of Andre Norton's Solar Queen books and I'm on what seems to be the worst in the series so far with Redline The Stars. The first novel, Sargasso of Space was a decent, fun space romp, with some mystery and derelict ships, etc.. but this one is pretty boring really. It's just a series of events that happens on some lackluster planet.

witPsns.jpgCsRvooh.jpg5o9SRJC.jpg

I'm also reading though some olde Heavy Metal magazines. I have a big stash of those and I read them years ago. Made it through 10 issues so far.

Also just started reading book four of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones. I completely avoided the television series somehow. So yeah, I'll watch that after I read the books. Thing is, after the first book, I took so long to get to the second that I had to reread the first one again. heh.

Most recently finished More Fool Me, by Stephen Fry, his third and most recent memoir (and yes, I've read them all now).
Currently reading Lies My Teacher Told Me, by James W. Loewen. This is actually the second time I read it. First time it was used as a textbook in my high school US History class. Now I'm re-reading it all the way through, and it's an updated edition with stuff from 9/11 and the Iraq War in there. Basically, it's about how much bullshit lies get told to US school children and how those lies turn them into adults with bad politics.

Also need to finish The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. Started reading it when I couldn't find other books I was reading at the time, so its next up to finish.
After that, I'm going to read The Martian, by Andy Weir. Heard its good.

I have a few that I've been trundling around in my Kindle that I need to get back to.

With help from Reddit's TOMT, I found the book I remembrered from childhood as Words of Stone by Kevin Henkes. I'm most of the way through.

Also planning to get into Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy

Also got most of the way through Early Retirement Extreme: A philosophical and practical guide to financial independence

it's incredibly dry in parts but the dude is super smart and has a very intelligent view on life

Currently reading Star Wars - The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I - Onslaught, pretty good so far. It's actually the first Star Wars novel I've read, and I have Dark Tide II for if I enjoy this once I'm finished. Good pacing, a bit of a slow start, but it doesn't take too long for there to be some engaging character interaction and scenarios.

reading sucks, i#ve been listening to some lovecraft audiobooks if that counts. My favourite so far are mountains of mandess and the thing on the doorstep

On 8/4/2019 at 3:43 PM, ([zen3001]) said:

reading sucks, i#ve been listening to some lovecraft audiobooks if that counts. My favourite so far are mountains of mandess and the thing on the doorstep

Wayne June, the narrator for the Darkest Dungeon, does audiobooks of Lovecraft's work on Youtube.

I was going to ask if they were Wayne June audiobooks. Not a fan of Lovecraft, but I love his voice.

'99 francs' by Frederic Beigbeder. I haven't read anything for a long while so I revel in this book.

Reading the directions on how to give yourself a saline enema.  Wish I was being a smartass, but I really am reading the directions from an enema kit.

I am reading Arch of Triumph and I almost done with it. Have anyone readd it before? or write any works about using this book? I am not a big reading fan but I was asked to read and write paperwork by using content and the main part of the book, use quotes etc... It was really hard enough for me so I asked professional essay writers for some help and after all I got what I needed. Now I can certainly say that this book worth reading.

Edited by mariopepper

The Divine Comedy. I've been reading it off and on for about 8 years now. Reading 14th century poetry is kinda hard to get into. But it's certainly imaginative work.

On 8/16/2019 at 5:49 AM, FractalBeast said:

The Divine Comedy. I've been reading it off and on for about 8 years now. Reading 14th century poetry is kinda hard to get into. But it's certainly imaginative work.

Dante is the greatest poet of all time, as far as I'm concerned. If not for his language and themes, then at least for the structure of the Comedy as a whole. It's autobiographical and fictional at the same time, all within a symbolic numerical framework. The companion woodcuts made later by Gustav Dore are also stunning. 

I've always liked the notes in the translation by Mark Musa, published by Penguin, if you haven't seen that I would recommend it.

15 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I wouldn't mind reading The Divine Comedy one day, but I have no idea which version is best. 

the Mark Musa translation is good for its technicality and notes, the John Ciardi version is more poetic

The Longfellow translation is kind of 'dry' but there's a large edition with the art by Dore which is nice to look at

I would also  highly recommend the book "Dante" by Thomas G. Bergin as a companion piece no matter what translation.  

I'm always reading Judge Dredd (via the Case Files), Savage Dragon, and catching up on X-Men (still in the 80s). Legendary comics.

On books, I've gotten about 50 used books via cool used books stores and ebay for 3 bucks a pop or so in recent months, my to-read list is endless. Lots of Vampire Hunter D books, crime, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.

Currently reading "Swag" by Elmore Leonard, cool crime book from back in the day.