Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P41R47

A.L.T. proper complevel?

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/alt

The (BoS) Clan recommends PrBoom+ in the wad .TXT saying that it is a limit-removing level set, but it had some game-breaking bugs in PrBoom+ (like having 0% health and still alive, but who know, maybe its a feature :S). I tried it in crispy-doom and it have graphical glitches (marine's death body at start is missaligned, and pirate flag in second map is missaligned) and also the health bug.
So, anyone knows? I tried/played heroes' tale, DaWill and Sacrament others russian megawads in crispy and they plays just fine.

(I tested it in G/L/Zdoom and DoomRetro and it plays pretty good , but right now i'm experimenting what others source ports had to offer).

16 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

0% health and still alive, but who know, maybe its a feature :S)

Yeah, that can happen in vanilla under certain conditions. ALT is supposed to be limit-removing, and while I've finished it in GZDoom, I didn't notice any major issues playing with PRBoom+ in cl2/Doom 2 v1.9.

37 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

DaWill

Thought this one required a boom compatible port, guess not? Sacrament only had one inaccessible secret if played on not boom. 

39 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The (BoS) Clan recommends PrBoom+ in the wad .TXT saying that it is a limit-removing level set, but it had some game-breaking bugs in PrBoom+ (like having 0% health and still alive, but who know, maybe its a feature :S).

The common causes of that are complevel-independent. Usually it's a voodoo doll that has been damaged until it 'dies', but the player picked up health during that sequence. 

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

The common causes of that are complevel-independent. Usually it's a voodoo doll that has been damaged until it 'dies', but the player picked up health during that sequence. 

Oh, no. Not at all. Just after starting the game, i've been rapped by the nazy gunmen and the bug happened, i didn't move at all and the health was 0% and after a while, i died. I didn't even had the time to take any health bonus. 

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Yeah, that can happen in vanilla under certain conditions. ALT is supposed to be limit-removing, and while I've finished it in GZDoom, I didn't notice any major issues playing with PRBoom+ in cl2/Doom 2 v1.9.

So, in any limit removing port (crispy, doom95) it should run fine? What about the miss aligned textures in crispy? I hear that boom has some port-only texture features, maybe that is miss aligning them in non-boom ports?

galileo31dos01 said:

DaWill

Thought this one required a boom compatible port, guess not? Sacrament only had one inaccessible secret if played on not boom.

yes, the txt said it need complevel 9, but i was checking some russian google translated pages and they said that DaWill was fully tested in complevel 3, so i assumed that it will play fine in crispy; i can't properly said it plays as intended, maybe i played it without some features :/

Same might apply to Whitemare 1.

Edited by P41R47

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

So, in any limit removing port (crispy, doom95) it should run fine? What about the miss aligned textures in crispy? I hear that boom has some port-only texture features, maybe that is miss aligning them in non-boom ports?

You'd have to post a screenshot of said misaligned texture so others can verify if it's port-specific or just a misaligned texture. Because a lot of the time, a misaligned texture is just a misaligned texture.

yes, the txt said it need complevel 9, but i was checking some russian google translated pages and they said that DaWill was fully tested in complevel 3, so i assumed that it will play fine in crispy; i can't properly said it plays as intended, maybe i played it without some features :/

Same might apply to Whitemare 1.

Complevel 3 would be Ultimate Doom so that does not sound right. Playing a Boom map in a port like Crispy which doesn't support Boom actions is almost guaranteed to softlock you or otherwise break the map. Boom isn't just adding some fancy extra stuff but core map functionality.

7 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

You'd have to post a screenshot of said misaligned texture so others can verify if it's port-specific or just a misaligned texture. Because a lot of the time, a misaligned texture is just a misaligned texture.

Complevel 3 would be Ultimate Doom so that does not sound right. Playing a Boom map in a port like Crispy which doesn't support Boom actions is almost guaranteed to softlock you or otherwise break the map. Boom isn't just adding some fancy extra stuff but core map functionality.

1398113469_missaligned.png.ec566ad78622d335201ef174af11b101.png

miss aligned2.png

I would say port specific (crispy), because in g/l/zdoom, PrBoom+ and DoomRetro it doesn't happend at all.
And yes, i was testing the russian wads with lzdoom and crispy, and there are a lot of differences between them in the different source ports. As the TXT said, they might indeed be fully boom compatible (complevel 9, i think).

I honestly have no idea what could be causing that because everything looks fine in PRBoom+ in complevel 2 on my end:

eFhKY4C.png

yCXprky.png

Mmm, strange, i will report this issue in the crispy git, maybe they know what might cause this.

As of now, with your help, guys, and with some research by me

this cleared the central question i think: A.L.T. and most other russian wads are best playes in boom-compatible ports even when they said to be just limit-removing.

Thanks for your help: Spectre01, rdwpa and galileo31dos01.