Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Which Alien Vendetta Version Is The Best

I know that, even for being a new user, I am probably annoying the heck out of you all with my endless questions... Sorry, just can't avoid it, like I said, I'm new to the community...

And so, I shamefully will make yet another one... Of the three versions of AV, which one is the best? Is it:

-the first one, with Valley Of Echoes;

-the second one, with Clandestine Complex;

-the third one, known as Black Label, which brings back Valley Of Echoes but replaces the first two levels.

Personally, I prefer the second release with Clandestine Complex. But, It doesnt hurt to download all 3 versions and play the levels your chosen version didnt have with Idclev

To be more specific, Black Label is an add-on file that contains two levels, that replace the first two levels in the main WAD. One of those levels was a reworked Valley of Echoes. I played a little of the first map when it came out; seemed pretty good but a little long. I'd say stick with the second release, play the Black Label levels after you're done, and if you're curious about the first release, go back and check out the old levels for historical value.

Second release

Valley of Echoes in the first release is such a horrible map, the reworked one for Black Label does improve a bit but it's still not a map I like

Do not ask me why, but I somehow managed to forget to put a poll in, and only now I noticed...

Anyways, it seems that the vast majority likes the second release better, which honestly does not surprise me that much, since they updated the game to be used in Compet-N. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd like an AV that keeps the Clandestine Complex (I like this one as it's very adventurous, the factory outside view, getting backdore from opened sewer manhole, etc) and keeps also Valley of Echoes from the original to replace map26. I know, unpopular opinion. I did enjoy Valley of Echoes (the new one from Black Label is totally different) as it's half resemblance of MAP15 of Plutonia and later it's a great epic Canyon section. I like Canyon levels and this one has tons of monsters you can shoot from above, and finally a dam. I know the original creator didn't like it but I do. Finally, map26 is slaughtermap style I don't like. I prefer slaughtermap levels like MAP25 in AV final, as it's epic with tons of monster but you clear enemies and there is no hot starts.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:17 AM, Optimus said:

I'd like an AV that keeps the Clandestine Complex (I like this one as it's very adventurous, the factory outside view, getting backdore from opened sewer manhole, etc) and keeps also Valley of Echoes from the original to replace map26. I know, unpopular opinion. I did enjoy Valley of Echoes (the new one from Black Label is totally different) as it's half resemblance of MAP15 of Plutonia and later it's a great epic Canyon section. I like Canyon levels and this one has tons of monsters you can shoot from above, and finally a dam. I know the original creator didn't like it but I do. Finally, map26 is slaughtermap style I don't like. I prefer slaughtermap levels like MAP25 in AV final, as it's epic with tons of monster but you clear enemies and there is no hot starts.

I think something like a Speed Of Doom style MAP33 would be the best. I personally definitly wouldn't remove Dark Dome, that map is a huge classic.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:17 AM, Optimus said:

The only change about Valley Of Echoes I would want is to fix a bug where once you leave the metal area, if you don't have the way open to the canyon area, you're screwed without noclip.

A custom version of AV with all 33 old maps in one episode, and the black label maps in another minisode would be ideal for me. Less files, less hassle.

I must have only played the 2nd version, kinda interested to check out the "Black Label" version despite the MAP01 I know and love being quite iconic. To me anyway.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:23 PM, Salahmander2 said:

The only change about Valley Of Echoes I would want is to fix a bug where once you leave the metal area, if you don't have the way open to the canyon area, you're screwed without noclip.

Hm. Could you specify this a bit, I'm not sure it's correct. You can return to the start area by a white teleport pad located in the first canyon with the yellow key switch (it will bring you to the open yard with the arch-vile right next to the starting area, and you'll need another teleport from there to get to one of the ledges and stroll through a secret passage that'll take you further back even). You'll have to illogically pass through a few grate / window textures in the map at certain points. A totally acceptable quirk back in 1998 when it was designed, unfortunately. :)

Overall there's very few parts of AV where you cannot backtrack, but some backtracking occasionally do require secrets.

On 2/7/2021 at 4:50 PM, VisionThing said:

I must have only played the 2nd version, kinda interested to check out the "Black Label" version despite the MAP01 I know and love being quite iconic. To me anyway.

I think there has been some confusement as to AV Black Label replacing the original maps, this was never the intent - it's just ment to be an additional set of expansion maps by one of the original authors. So feel free to enjoy both as separate entities. :)

5 minutes ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Hm. Could you specify this a bit, I'm not sure it's correct. You can return to the start area by a white teleport pad located in the first canyon with the yellow key switch (it will bring you to the open yard with the arch-vile right next to the starting area, and you'll need another teleport from there to get to one of the ledges and stroll through a secret passage that'll take you further back even). You'll have to illogically pass through a few grate / window textures in the map at certain points. A totally acceptable quirk back in 1998 when it was designed, unfortunately. :)

Overall there's very few parts of AV where you cannot backtrack, but some backtracking occasionally do require secrets.

Ahhh, I think I know where I went wrong there. I think it's because the way back seems to be a bit too obscure, never realised you had to interact with the torch to open the doors.

22 minutes ago, Salahmander2 said:

Ahhh, I think I know where I went wrong there. I think it's because the way back seems to be a bit too obscure, never realised you had to interact with the torch to open the doors.

Yes, it's too obscure for a required backtrack if you head in there with no keys - agreed. There should have been a simple teleport or lift solution to get back to the start area, immediately upon dropping down there.