Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

Framerate dipping in map?

Started this map today.   Was having some serious frame plummet so I made the three transparent red 3D sectors opaque and otherwise toned down the 3D transfer detail a bit.   I think I still caught the frames dipping a bit.  Typing fly in the console and going to extreme corners up high or down low seems to reveal a frame drop.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l0bv34lnbdc7nh9/frametst.zip/file

Anyway one else experiencing frame drop in this or have suggestions?   Goofy texture is a temporary exit.   Made this copy replace map01 and testing with Zandronum and GZDoom.

Screenshot_QuanChiFortress.jpg

Edited by Gokuma

Subdividing the large sectors into several smaller ones reduces the fps loss somewhat.

The greatest gain, however, would be with deleting the sloped 3D arches and simply replacing them with sloped sectors. After all, the arches are hanging just under the ceiling and not somewhere in mid space. If you wanted to go one step further, the inside arches, since they are hardly visible, could be replaced with a sprite representing an arch.

Thanks!   I split the large sectors up and simplified the inner arches you see less of and noticed some improvement.   Still gotta work some more on it, but it's getting better.   Hopefully I can get it so views from extreme ends don't cause a dip without sacrificing too much.

It runs at a steady 60 fps for me, which isn't surprising considering how simple the map it. If it's not fast you probably have either crappy hardware (like Intel integrated graphics) or terribly outdated drivers.

Thanks guys.  I'm using a 2012 laptop, maybe actually built in 2011.    Glad it's running that well for you guys.   I think another culprit for me is having the same 3D sector transferred to 16 different sectors, so I'll try making separate copies of that 3D floor each transferred to 2 to 4 sectors.   I need to get a new comp sometime so I can install Doom 2016, MK XL, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night I already own, as well as the new Doom Eternal.   But I suppose it's good to have this old machine for now to keep my maps reasonably efficient.   I use floor flats on walls and wall textures on floors sometimes, but so far have avoided doing that in this map, though I'm currently not happy with all its current texturing.   This map being designed primarily for Deathmatch and with single player/coop being secondary in it, so I want it to perform well for multiple players online.   I think I may have an alternate version with the higher detail though.