Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Is there a drag-and-drop method for adding new things?

If I'm on say, Realm667 and see stuff I want to add--new enemies, props, power-ups, etc.--is there a way to insert them directly into a map for use, or is it only feasible by manually editing the map in something like SLADE?

A few ways I can think of to do this:

• Make it drop from enemies.
  • Make it replace one of the existing actors.
  • Make a copy of the actor you wish to replace, and add a new actor to randomly choose which actor to spawn (the copy of the original actor you created, or your newly added actor) and replace the original actor with it. so when it spawns ingame, it would randomly select between the copied actor or the new actor.
  • Add a custom action to spawn it at any given time (eg: a custom KEYCONF binding that executes an ACS script) you can of course add conditions to this if you don't want players to just spawn it whenever they want.
  • A CustomInventory item that can spawn it at any given time when used, you can also use conditions here.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

A few ways I can think of to do this:

That's not at all what he meant. He means a way you can put custom monsters and stuff in your map without editing it in SLADE. No, there's no such way to do this.

You have to either use SLADE or XWE if you seriously, seriously don't want to go through the hassle of installing SLADE. You grab all the stuff that the Realm667 downloaded WAD has, and you put it in your wad in any place before the "MAPXX" markers.

I still recommend using SLADE much more than XWE, but if you haven't used SLADE because it's comparatively heavy or requires those stupid Visual C runtimes that force you to update Windows to the latest update, then it's an """okay""" alternative.

1 minute ago, -TDRR- said:

That's not at all what he meant.

Are you sure?

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

is there a way to insert them directly into a map for use

This makes it sound like he wants to insert it directly into the map without having to edit the map itself

6 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Are you sure?

This makes it sound like he wants to insert it directly into the map without using a map editor

-10 for reading comprehension, i thought you wrote ways that an actor could drop something, my bad.

In that case, using a RandomSpawner that replaces whatever monster you want with whichever other random selection of other monsters would work here. In a DECORATE lump, use this:
ACTOR RandomZombieman : RandomSpawner replaces Zombieman

{

DropItem "TypeActorNameOfOtherVariant"

}

And keep adding more "dropitem" lines for more replacements. By the way, have you tried Scalliano's 667 Shuffle? That might be what you are looking for, and it has many Realm 667 guns and monsters.

35 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

In that case, using a RandomSpawner that replaces whatever monster you want with whichever other random selection of other monsters would work here.

Yes that's what I suggested in the third option, except I also suggested making a copy of the actor he wishes to replace if he wants to keep it instead of outright replacing it.

Let me try to make this more clear: You know how you can just literally load a resource texture wad into Doom Builder, and use the "save map into" function to make it a single .wad containing the new textures? I want to do that for thing entities; specifically new monsters and especially props (such as trees, traffic cones, office chairs, etc.). Is there an equivalent for this or is it only possible through manual editing, even with a format like UDMF? 

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Let me try to make this more clear: You know how you can just literally load a resource texture wad into Doom Builder, and use the "save map into" function to make it a single .wad containing the new textures? I want to do that for thing entities; specifically new monsters and especially props (such as trees, traffic cones, office chairs, etc.). Is there an equivalent for this or is it only possible through manual editing, even with a format like UDMF? 

UDMF doesn't matter here, it's just something to store map data (originally separated in LINEDEFS, SECTORS, THINGS and a few others AFAIR), but stuff like custom monsters and props is definitely out of the scope of what it can do.

This could be done, but the editor needs to support it, and anyways adding new things is so easy that it's not needed at all. Literally all you need is like 5 minutes, something like SLADE/XWE and your required files, and that's it. Not like it takes a 5000 IQ and years of learning.

Actually, you can even do it without any of that, just Windows' integrated .zip file handler.

Create a new .zip file, then drop all Realm667 .wad files here (Yeah i know waste of RAM bla bla bla, but this is meant to be super simple so...) and then just rename the file to have a .pk3 extension, and that's it.

Whenever you want to pack it up for release, drop your map .wad in the .pk3 too.

You just install the files from realm667, you make a new wad with slade and put alll the files you got from there in your wad. use this wad as one of your resources when creating a map in doombuilder and you will be able to place all your monsters and weapons where ever you want. alternatively if you don't want to install slade just put the files you got from realm667 in a zip file(most of them will probably allready be downloaded as a zip file) and rename the .zip extension to .pk3 and use that as the resource for your map.

the following tutorial is a little outdated but most of the things still work the same way