Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

should tim burton direct the next doom movie if there is one?

i mean, come ON! listen to the theme songs of doom psx and doom 64 and tell me they don't sound like batman.

obviously, doom would not work as an action movie, as it would be very hard to get right.

BUT, if it was a dark gothic action ADVENTURE (or whatever genre tim burton's batman is), the film could focus on developing on the doomguy character and add new characters and add to them in a compelling and engaging way!

with tim burton's dark gothic art style, aubrey hodges' ambient/batman music, and feedback from the community, it could stand a chance of being an enjoyable movie!

what do you guys think?

also, i think the title should be called Tim Burton's ULTIMATE DOOM, and cover the events of doomguy's life before doom 1 psx (for about 5-10 minutes or longer) and during doom 1 psx. (the rest of the film)

1 hour ago, memes4lyfe said:

i mean, come ON! listen to the theme songs of doom psx and doom 64 and tell me they don't sound like batman.

haha. They do share some intervals.

Now you gave me the idea of recreating some songs from the Doom soundtrack in a Danny Elfman style.

I'll do it when I have some time

I have an idea how the movie should open. Basically the doom psx opening (20th anniversary edition of course) with a star wars crawl when the horns start.

i mean, considering the past two doom movies failed, it would be safe to assume it wouldn't work as an action movie. 1 whole hour of shooting would get stale after a while. if doom was more story-based with a few action scenes and character development, it would have a chance of being an enjoyable experience.

it would work if:

A: it stuck to the source material faithfully, and did it's own unique thing with it in a good way, tweaking it to account for the story focus.

B: it learned from the past two movies mistakes and took feedback from the community.

C: it had doomguy in it who rarely speaks, and when he does, it is usually a very simple sentence or a grunt. like, he might say "groovy..." and then nothing for the next half hour or so.

D: it has all the enemies from the original dooms and bosses, either in the original style, or the doom 64 style.

and finally E: posted short random clips and asked the community how to improve it, and fix accordingly without spoiling it.

with aubrey hodges and sukru gilman on board the project, and a theatrical release, it should at least be an interesting cinematic take on a heavy metal game. a little experiment of sorts.

Can we please just not have any more fucking Doom Movies?

None of the two we've had were any good. Both were cheaply made. Both were not faithful to the game, and it's not the protagonists gender I'm talking about here, for that matter...

Nobody in their right mind would risk their career to direct another piece of flaming hot garbage, especially not when you've got a portfolio similar to that of Tim Burton.

Besides, any movie that would focus on "developing the DoomGuy character" is destined to fail and disappoint. Doom was out there for so long, literally everybody has had enough time to develop their very own and highly specific idea as to who DoomGuy is, how he behaves, what he eats for breakfast, or - heck - what his voice may or may not sound like. It is literally impossible to give the fans of this game the DoomGuy/Gal that they could really get behind. Oh yeah, and character development with a protagonist who rarely even says a word? Good luck with that.

All these things put aside: Two movies that didn't garner a particularly high amount of acclaim also means that nobody is gonna be willing to throw a large enough amount of money at a third one in hopes of making that a AAA-success with all the bells and whistles.

Video game adaptations have historically sucked for more reasons than I can be arsed to list here. Put it to rest before anybody wasts any more money on another direct to video dumpster fire, that nobody's gonna care about anymore several weeks after release.

3 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

i mean, considering the past two doom movies failed, it would be safe to assume it wouldn't work as an action movie. 1 whole hour of shooting would get stale after a while. if doom was more story-based with a few action scenes and character development, it would have a chance of being an enjoyable experience.

it would work if:

A: it stuck to the source material faithfully, and did it's own unique thing with it in a good way, tweaking it to account for the story focus.

B: it learned from the past two movies mistakes and took feedback from the community.

C: it had doomguy in it who rarely speaks, and when he does, it is usually a very simple sentence or a grunt. like, he might say "groovy..." and then nothing for the next half hour or so.

D: it has all the enemies from the original dooms and bosses, either in the original style, or the doom 64 style.

and finally E: posted short random clips and asked the community how to improve it, and fix accordingly without spoiling it.

with aubrey hodges and sukru gilman on board the project, and a theatrical release, it should at least be an interesting cinematic take on a heavy metal game. a little experiment of sorts.

A. Stick to what exactly? The story of Doom is extremely loose and up for interpretation. it's basically a blank slate if we're talking the classics.

B. This is highly unlikely to happen in a Hollywood movie, especially one you believe Tim Burton should direct. If it's a big budget movie, then a board room of suits will be making most of the decisions, especially since Doom is a known brand. 

C. So you want an adventure film wherein the main character doesn't utter a single sentence? Dialogue is so important to developing characters, and Doomguy is so utterly basic that portraying him in film would be a waste of a protagonist, the man is designed to be, again a blank slate.

D. This is not something I see happening. Translating classic Doom designs to modern film would almost be laughable to a larger audience, I really can't imagine seeing a cg pinky on the big screen, it would be totally hilarious. 

E. Refer to B

I think the best thing you could do with a Doom film is make a schlock-y retro styled film that understands the absurdity of its concept, and plays into 90s B movies. That would be pretty nice, I imagine the best route to go in terms of protagonists is something like Aliens, where you have a group of marines all of which slowly die off. Perhaps Doom isn't good material to adapt to film. I'd stick to the games. Or the books if you like Salt Lake City.

I'd like to see Uwe Boll's take on a Doom movie. He hasn't had the best record with video game adaptations but he may just strike gold with Doom!

1 hour ago, insertwackynamehere said:

Johnny Depp Doomguy? Have we finally settled the perfect Doomguy actor debate?

NOPE. I think young Arnold Schwarzenegger would do that better. Or Sylvester Stallone. Shit, The Rock sucked in the first movie but I think he's a waaaaaaay better choice than Depp.

Even robert deniro would do better than depp.

If I'm 100% honest, I think Brain Steele should be doomguy. Either that or Thom Mathews

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

A. Stick to what exactly? The story of Doom is extremely loose and up for interpretation. it's basically a blank slate if we're talking the classics.

Fie!  I'll have you know that classic Doom has a plotline far more rich and involved than even such narrative heavyweights as Minesweeper.  Why, it is almost as deep and nuanced as that of Galaga!

I reckon it would be funny imagining different directors takes on the Doom movie. Imagine a Taratino version with Samuel Jackson or Michael Bay with many explosions and an American Flag painted on Master Cheifs armour shooting demonic foreigners.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Can we please just not have any more fucking Doom Movies?

Ya, please.

It's never going to work, they've already "tried" twice (well, to be fair, the team behind Annihilation actually tried to do something with the small budget they had), and the results were not satisfying at all. Video games to movies adaptions are destined to fall flat on their face, let games be games and movies be movies.

What about a horror movie director or an action movie director? At this point Doom probably needs a 150 million dollar budget to be seen as a hit between special effects and having actors people want to see.

A better question would be should the next Doom movie be animated?

10 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I'd like to see Uwe Boll's take on a Doom movie. He hasn't had the best record with video game adaptations but he may just strike gold with Doom!

That would be pretty awful. Eww Boll would have Jason Statham playing a dragon slayer that gets hired to kill demons. Instead of hell the demons would be in a castle somewhere in Europe and during the battle a bunch of ninjas show up to help him out just in the nick of time.

2 hours ago, geo said:

A better question would be should the next Doom movie be animated?

Actually that might be a really good idea.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

NOPE. I think young Arnold Schwarzenegger would do that better. Or Sylvester Stallone. Shit, The Rock sucked in the first movie but I think he's a waaaaaaay better choice than Depp.

Even robert deniro would do better than depp.

If I'm 100% honest, I think Brain Steele should be doomguy. Either that or Thom Mathews

N8X3hFG.jpg

3 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

how long should the movie be?

Following in the footstep of the highly successful Lord of the Rings trilogy with three films shot back to back, totaling in an epic story nearly nine hour in length. This way there is more than enough time for world building, character development, hell trips, and the appearance of more classic demons we know and love on the big screen.  

I think there should be no less than 7 more Doom films, each with half the budget of the one before it. The last one will just be one dude with a Doomguy marionette and someone playing the E1M1 music on spoons in the background and yet it will be the best film of all.

I don't see Tim Burton have something to do with Doom or something similar.

Maybe a director like Gugliermo Del Toro or Robert Rodriguez will be a better director for a possible Doom movie...

On 10/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Doom_Dude said:

That would be pretty awful. Eww Boll would have Jason Statham playing a dragon slayer that gets hired to kill demons. Instead of hell the demons would be in a castle somewhere in Europe and during the battle a bunch of ninjas show up to help him out just in the nick of time.

Actually that might be a really good idea.

I heard an interview with a guy that made a Netflix 30+ minute anime movie and if he could fund it... anyone with a few hundred thousand dollars to one million dollars could make a 90+ minute Doom movie. Then again, maybe lip sync might be more expensive. Anyway... the 30 minutes took a year, the guy only bank rolled it, got a director to oversee like 7 studios each doing different parts of the movie. Much like the last animated Dead Space movie which legend has it was super rushed. Thankfully animation studios use better tech than that second animated Dead Space movie. Now animation is just models, rigging, and sometimes live actors. So it's possible to do it on a budget if you go with Asian studios.

Anyway... back to Tim Burton...

I gave it some thought and one thing the Doom movies are missing is musical numbers. Doomguy can be the new freak in a colorful cast of quirky characters. Imp triplets, Pinky pet dogs, Mother Mastermind, Papa Cyber Demon. Lots of singing... and dancing. Dark colors with reds. Out of place pristine environments juxtaposed to Hell. Then no one sees it or everyone hates it because Tim Burton makes everything too weird and quirky. People that remember his movies aren't high or angst enough to take their kids to a theater to see an R rated movie.

Robert Rodriguez would be a great director.