Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

What was the first custom wads you have played?

Either Hell Revealed, Vile Flesh or Alien Vendetta. Not a fan of HR, but the other two are still some of my favorites.

It was back in the day before I got the internet around 99 and I had to resort to playing what I could find on either PC Gamer CD's or those SHovelware discs. The first custom levels I remember playing were Dr Sleep's Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate. First Megawad I played around the same time was Steve Long's Longwad.

i had a shovelware disc too and it had Trinity College and INVADE1 and some of the cooler efforts at mapping at the time, I still remember how to beat XENO11 and stuff. then years later I got online and someone showed me Alien Vendetta and i thought the difficulty was completely unacceptable lol

i never really got good at the game, I still think in trinity college terms

The first PWAD I played was Eternal Doom. With the amount of times I've played it since then, I think I could complete it with my eyes closed :P

That's a lot of people starting off with big and famous stuff! I just searched "vanilla" in the idgames search engine (because I only had Chocolate Doom and didn't feel like installing anything else at the time) and got Data Center. A real fun little thing.

Then I downloaded ZDoom solely to play Mock 2.

I don't remember which one was the first, exactly, but there are three that must have been among the first at least, as I do have recollection of them.

1. Aliens TC. This was placed as a special category in a shovelware CD, apart from all other levels.
  2. Unholy Trinity. This too had some "guest star" status which made it stand out from the rest which was just a huge bunch of files in several directories without any sort of curation or presentation.
  3. TUTGOOD.WAD. The example level from DoomCAD with a slight bit of added detailing to show how you can improvise and go beyond just what was listed in the tutorial.

I believe the first custom wad I ever played was one with the filename 0blood.wad. Never finished it.

Most likely something made by my childhood friend. Probably found wads online much later. Maybe the first wads I downloaded were some sound replacement wads: Simpsons, Aliens, Star Wars and something else I don't remember.

Oh, this goes really far back, to where I did not know source ports existed and spent a lot of time trying to make the original .exe work correctly on Windows. cydreams.wad was the one custom wad I remember trying to run like that. 

Hmm... casting my mind back to 1994, when I was 4, I'm pretty sure that penguin Doom mod had already somehow made it on to my dad's PC. Within a year or two I'd already seen stuff like Simpsons Doom, some of the old WolfenDoom episodes, UAC_DEAD, Doom in Tibet, a BUNKER.WAD, Clinton Doom and Yakworld. With such inspiration material, it was no wonder I went on to be a mapper myself by the end of the 90s.

Well, I was very young so I don't remeber which was the very first one. But among the ones that stuck out and stuck with me were INVADERS.WAD, BF_THUD!.WAD (Chrisk DOOM), ANGEL.WAD (Path of the Fallen Angel), PHOENIX3.WAD (DOOM Delft). All of these may seem pretty lame by todays standards, though.

It's a vague as i was young at was lke 2004.

It's was played on ZDOOM. It's a wad with custom textures from Counter Strike and counter Strike weapons (MP5, 12 leone shotgun, usp, etc) and the first levels was from a type of map style cs_assault.

My first wad with intentions to do full was in 2009 with Brutal Doom v18 or v19 and mapset was Sytech.

For me the first custom wad i ever played was the ghostbusters doom demo, at the time i had played doom before but i was too afraid of the game to go back to it, but i was quite obsessed with anything ghostbusters and eventually i found out about the mod existence, so i started to look how to play it. After that it was down the rabbit hole, it soon went from 'hey this ghostbusters mod is pretty cool!' to 'You know what, doom is actually quite fun to play' and eventually to 'Holy shit, wait, i can do something like this?'. It was many years ago and i was still a kid at the time, but i can still remember getting excited about it, sadly it never got completed. After that i played other TC's such as batman doom, twilight warrior and even aliens TC.

Sadly i can't remember what was the first non TC wad that i've played, it was probably Grove or ZDCM since at the time the 2004 cacowards was out and it caught my interest

You're asking me to remember back 25 years. First I played was probably Thud! though. It was pretty much the first megawad. I remember my dad had it on a disk before I ever started browsing the Internet for Doom wads.

i dont exactly remember, was likely either crossing acheron or bf_thud!.wad

... actually i know you probably meant levels but i went to my brother's friend's house and  they were playing that wad that replaced cacodemons with a photograph of bill clinton's head, i'm pretty sure that was the first mod i played lol.

First full megawad I played was Memento Mori, I was blown away by the maps and music. I thought everything about it was impressive.

I'm not sure what the first single-level PWAD was that I played; I was pretty sure I searched through the list of wads on the top 100 list on Doomworld, but I was pretty sure I remembered some level I downloaded that was a huge dark room full of candles/torches and no monsters, and I was wandering around in some closed halls along the sides of this open cave-like area. To this day I've no idea what wad that was but I wish I could remember more of it. Pretty sure I didn't play all the way through it since I was a bit confused as to what to do. I may also have played a level or two of Scythe through Doom95 and wasn't aware I had MAP11 selected for the starting point, so I didn't get very far...

Now that I think about it I'm sure "Null Space" was also an early map I had played. Pretty cool void map.

The first two custom maps I played were DOOMTOWN.WAD and ALL_E1.WAD, both of which came with the 3D Games Alchemy magazine, don't remember which of the two I played first.

Introduced to doom wads by brutal doom so naturally the first megawad I played was the Hell on Earth Starter Pack, then Alien Vendetta, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, Hell Revealed and I'm 2/3rds of the way through Eviternity right now.

...I mean, It's not much so I might as well list em' all, I'm only just getting into doom wads now.

Eternal Doom was my first, back in 2002 when I had just discovered fan-made megawads. I was astounded back then just how large a doom level could be with “dark dome” and “warheroes” especially sticking out to me.  

14 hours ago, DoomGater said:

FAVA BEANS, if anyone can remember this...

@Steve D may have mentioned the WAD once or twice ... a day. :)

Like many people here, I remember UAC_Dead and Aliens TC were amongst the earliest things I remember playing.

Basically it was whatever was on the CD that came with the Doom Construction Kit, as this was years before I got the Internet.

UAC_Dead, Crossing Acheron, and Fava Beans are all classics I remember from when I first started downloading Doom wads. There was some website that was basically a collection of the best Doom 1 wads.

I also just remembered one called "VW Temple" or something. IIRC the author made it in tribute to his VW that got stolen. :P

I think that Doom 32 was my very first custom wad that I played when I started using a PC with Doom95 launcher more than 15 years ago...

It was something off of a magazine coverdisc that one of the magazine staff made before I got on the Internet. An early version of DEU was on the same disc. It was accompanied by a basic tutorial, with the supplied level supposed to show you what could be done. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of either level or magazine.

Damn, most people played some great stuff for first checking out custom stuff.     I remember early stuff I played, but all I can remember for the absolute first is 11inhell.wad on the Deathday CD (Or "The Ultimate Addon Collection for Doom / Doom II") in 1995.   I don't recommend that wad though seeing the huge dimensions that were possible in a custom made map, I probably thought wow.

First cool patch I played was Werner's Spahl's Theme Patch, probably theme14, and got the latest theme17 off a later CD or at least theme16 from a CD.   I remember playing 16 the longest before getting 17.

Doom3 Smiley head's Safari back in 1995 I think, I liked it a lot, specially E1.

It influenced me somehow and I used the music of those levels many times for my own maps.