Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

16 minutes ago, Noiser said:

- The range limitation on Hell Razers are there to not cause sprite overflows on vanilla, but I will probably extend the range a bit. Also, I was thinking of make his charge faster. What do you think?

- About hitboxes - Hell Knights actually have a smaller radius and the Revenant was not changed at all. I would never make it bigger than vanilla. Maybe it's something related to their speed or a source-port thing.

- BFG is almost the same. The spray was not changed, so the tracers will spawn as expected.

1. Ah, because of the intercept overflow where things go all ghost if something cross 128 linedefs IIRC? I think I tend to have the projectiles fly faster which is closer to hitscan. Personally I just like to have them more threatening than right now, or at least as threatening as their vanilla counterpart.

2. I think it's the reason of their speed. I'm so used to vanilla feeling, so adjusting any of those will make me think too much to misjudge things, so yeah.

3. I probably need to try again with the BFG. I can 2 shot a Cyber when I'm directly in his face (you'll see that in the next video), but it seems I can't do the wall trick properly. I'll practice a little bit before Part 6 and try to have a better judgment, so basically you can ignore my confusion for Part 5.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

1. Ah, because of the intercept overflow where things go all ghost if something cross 128 linedefs IIRC? I think I tend to have the projectiles fly faster which is closer to hitscan. Personally I just like to have them more threatening than right now, or at least as threatening as their vanilla counterpart.

Nah, the common sprite overflow - when they turn invisible. Only happens on vanilla\chocolate. I'm aware that it's an unavoidable problem and I don't mind if it's quick and subtle, but when you have to face three or four beams from far-far away, you can't see anything more.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

3. I probably need to try again with the BFG. I can 2 shot a Cyber when I'm directly in his face (you'll see that in the next video), but it seems I can't do the wall trick properly. I'll practice a little bit before Part 6 and try to have a better judgment, so basically you can ignore my confusion for Part 5.

Cybies have a bit more of health, so maybe it's because of that.

Edited by Noiser

Just a small update: D4V-lite (download)

D4V-lite is a version made specially for level designers or anyone who want to create something using my mod as a base. 
This version removes some of the most invasive resources like the titlepic, music, map07 replacement, map names, etc. 

Spoiler

Of course, it's also handy if you just want to play but doesn't like these replacements... or if you're tired to listen to the same songs all the time. However, keep in mind you will have to manually IDCLEV from Map07.

Skies were removed as well - except for the default ones used by Doom and Doom 2 (SKY and RSKY). If you want a new sky in your mod, you just have to name them diferently.

Don't feel obligated to use this version if you're already making maps for D4V - I just made it for convenience-sake. You can use, redirect or bundle any version you want - modified or not.

The zip also comes with a seperate colormap without brightmaps and the OTEX textures patch (made for the default colormap, with brightmaps).
If you want to make maps for D4V, please let me know if there is more I can do to help @Tango @meapineapple

-----------------------------------------------

Btw, I'm also working on a proper update for the mod. It will be released very soon, so stay tuned!

Edited by Noiser

I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the mod (btw I really LOVE it) but can I use just the guns, the updated stages and visual effects in my Vanilla Doom 2 ? I really like this new stuff but I want my vanilla monsters too including archviles :v. I'm kind of newbie in this Doom mod stuff. Thanks.

2 hours ago, jimkage said:

I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the mod (btw I really LOVE it) but can I use just the guns, the updated stages and visual effects in my Vanilla Doom 2 ? I really like this new stuff but I want my vanilla monsters too including archviles :v. I'm kind of newbie in this Doom mod stuff. Thanks.

It is possible, but it needs some heavy reworking to the Dehacked file itself (aka the mod's "code"). If you just delete all of the custom monsters, you will be left with a buggy piece of mess. (i.e vanilla monsters' death sprites not working properly)

Spoiler

I'll see if I can make one for you.

But be aware that the weapons' behaviors may also need to be changed as a result.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It is possible, but it needs some heavy reworking to the Dehacked file itself (aka the mod's "code"). If you just delete all of the custom monsters, you will be left with a buggy piece of mess. (i.e vanilla monsters' death sprites not working properly)

Hide contents

But be aware that the weapons' behaviors may also need to be changed as a result.

if jimkage uses a zdoom based port or even eternity, i think it should be much easier no?

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hide contents

Oh, I would appreciate it very much if you could work out something (if it's not too much trouble of course) thank you.

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

if jimkage uses a zdoom based port or even eternity, i think it should be much easier no?

Maybe, but if we are talking about multi-source ports compatiblity, then yeah.

I signed up here to personally say thank you guys for such an awesome mod! I've caught wind of this mod from a friend of mine who was streaming some Doom mods along with D4V and my jaw hit the floor as I couldn't believe what I was seeing since it was something I dreamed of since I saw fans recreate Doom (2016) in the style of the classic Doom games and this was just the thing I wanted! The look and feel of the Doom (2016) built on the foundation of good ol' classic Doom (1993). I've been having fun with the mod so far and I'm doing the MIDI version of Doom 2016's music for Doom II. I also have some things I want to suggest/give some feedback on, though these stem from using v1.2 and not the newly released Lite version of the mod since I just noticed the update.

• Could it be possible to improve support for WADsmoosh so the episode names with containing each game look consistant? I also kinda ran into a minor issue where in v1.2 where the mod doesn't stay with the font it wants to use with WADsmoosh's PK3 when selecting an episode (see the attachments).
  • @NightFright Is it possible to make a Widescreen HUD for this mod similar to the ones you've made for vanilla Doom and other PWADs? https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37960 The mod you made in an earlier is not bad, but I think a classic styled HUD bar would go more nicely with the look and feel of classic Doom as well as retaining the look when switching between gameplay and the automap. (and thank you for this mod as well, NightFright!)
  • Is it possible to smooth out the faster weapon switching animation?
  • Could it be possible to give an option to use the default Doom music or is that beyond the scope of what DeHackEd can do? I was also wondering could it be possible to add the MIDI Doom (2016) music into The Ultimate Doom as well?
  • Is there a possible voxel pack to use for the item pick-ups for D4V for source ports?

I'm not sure if it's also me, but I think the chainsaw still feels too gamebreaking even with the nerf it got, and maybe the shotgun's rate of fire could be dialed back a bit. And once again, thank you for such an awesome mod!

gzdoom_2019-09-29_18-08-41.png

gzdoom_2019-09-29_18-15-46.png

37 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I'm not sure if it's also me, but I think the chainsaw still feels too gamebreaking even with the nerf it got

That's a known GZDoom issue (using melee weapons  in ZDoom and its deratives is much more easier than in vanilla Doom and many other limit removing ports), try tweaking the compatiblity settings. (Doom strict format is recommended for pure beginners.)

Also, clearing up some stuff here, I am not the author of this mod, but I know enough to answer some of your questions.

Is it possible to smooth out the faster weapon switching animation?

In vanilla Doom/Dehacked, yes, but that would require some more states to be swapped. It would be much easier in other Doom coding formats (i.e DECORATE)

Could it be possible to give an option to use the default Doom music or is that beyond the scope of what DeHackEd can do? I was also wondering could it be possible to add the MIDI Doom (2016) music into The Ultimate Doom as well?

Heh, that would require you or someone else to go into SLADE and manually removing the music yourself/themselves into a random folder, when you want to hear those musics again, just put them back.

Also, keep in mind that the mod was made for Doom 2 in mind, so full Doom 1 compatiblity is not there yet. But it is possible.

Is there a possible voxel pack to use for the item pick-ups for D4V for source ports?

Apparently, no.

This mod is great! I will say though, the replacement of the normal zombiemen makes early game a bit too easy in some maps since they seem to only be able to melee, thus (in episode 1) makes maps a cakewalk until shotgunners and above get more common, IMHO.

I have a suggestion

You know those zombiemen on pike decorations?

Maybe you could replace those with possessed or security on pikes, since they seem out of place in a D2016 Mod

On 9/30/2019 at 12:45 AM, AmethystViper said:

[...]

• @NightFright Is it possible to make a Widescreen HUD for this mod similar to the ones you've made for vanilla Doom and other PWADs? https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37960 The mod you made in an earlier is not bad, but I think a classic styled HUD bar would go more nicely with the look and feel of classic Doom as well as retaining the look when switching between gameplay and the automap. (and thank you for this mod as well, NightFright!)

Well, the BTSX1 widescreen HUD from my mod is pretty much the same. However, since I noticed that the mugshot frame colors are somehow too pale in the current release, get the fixed version from the attachment (includes preview).

btsx1_wide.zip

STBAR.png

13 hours ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

This mod is great! I will say though, the replacement of the normal zombiemen makes early game a bit too easy in some maps since they seem to only be able to melee, thus (in episode 1) makes maps a cakewalk until shotgunners and above get more common, IMHO.

True for some maps, and it's the opposite for others - they can rip you to shreds in no time if you get crowded because their melee attacks are much more effective than those of the original cast.

Very impressive for something vanilla compatible. I did notice that a bunch of enemies failed to teleport in during Scythe map26 in PRBoom+ (like 100). I've noticed this happens quite often with gameplay mods that change monsters. 

I've noticed this with eviternity.wad on first episode when I shoot with first weapon in every shot I see for the moment and original pistol. This hapend on GZDoom latest version and software mode of grafhics. In adwance the mod is Incredible and Thank you werry much for him.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:34 PM, NPC_CO8ALT said:

Thanks! This mod was not exactly made with Doom 1 in mind - so that's kinda expected. In my humble opinion, I think you can get the best of D4V with custom maps for Doom 2. At least it was how I playtested the most.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, AmethystViper said:

I signed up here to personally say thank you guys for such an awesome mod! I've caught wind of this mod from a friend of mine who was streaming some Doom mods along with D4V and my jaw hit the floor as I couldn't believe what I was seeing since it was something I dreamed of since I saw fans recreate Doom (2016) in the style of the classic Doom games and this was just the thing I wanted! The look and feel of the Doom (2016) built on the foundation of good ol' classic Doom (1993). I've been having fun with the mod so far and I'm doing the MIDI version of Doom 2016's music for Doom II. I also have some things I want to suggest/give some feedback on, though these stem from using v1.2 and not the newly released Lite version of the mod since I just noticed the update.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words!
About the weapon switching, they will be even faster on the next release. Unfortunately there's no way to switch music, but you can manually delete them using Slade. About WADsmoosh, I would have to make all the other texts... the kind of job I don't want to honestly, so I will think about it but I will not do any promises.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:10 PM, Spectre01 said:

Very impressive for something vanilla compatible. I did notice that a bunch of enemies failed to teleport in during Scythe map26 in PRBoom+ (like 100). I've noticed this happens quite often with gameplay mods that change monsters. 

Idk exactly why this happens since their radius are not bigger than vanilla. I'm investigating it though.

Edited by Noiser

On 10/1/2019 at 7:36 AM, NightFright said:

Well, the BTSX1 widescreen HUD from my mod is pretty much the same. However, since I noticed that the mugshot frame colors are somehow too pale in the current release, get the fixed version from the attachment (includes preview).

btsx1_wide.zip

STBAR.png

Thank you, though I noticed there's a bit of the Armor graphic is missing a piece/something doesn't look right on the lower right corner for the Armor counter for the HUD.

Another issue I've noticed is the limited projectile range on some of the enemies. While it's a cool mechanic when fighting up close, it does break enemies that rely on being able to shoot you across the map - such as the Cyber Manc that replaces the Arachnotron. They are usually placed in sniping/turret positions and can't do their job with the short attack range.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, Effektus said:

I've noticed this with eviternity.wad on first episode when I shoot with first weapon in every shot I see for the moment and original pistol. This hapend on GZDoom latest version and software mode of grafhics. In adwance the mod is Incredible and Thank you werry much for him.

It is highly unreccomended to use together wads that both change core mechanics through dehacked, unless they're specifically designed to be cross-compatible. Eviternity happens to have such changes, so the other mod breaks it.

i found an issue with this mod while trying to play (on marine best friend 2.04 using dosbox) this wads

doom 2 64 (d64d2.wad)

Scythe X 

Memento Mori

Flashback to Hell

Community Chest 4

THT: Threnody

Revilution wads 

TNT Evilution

i get this message

"column without a patch in texture" + different file names depending on the wad

here is an example with doom64 (d64d2.wad)

827889363_errord4v.png.16e25a5f5d20f63fc8d23416188c1db2.png

The Ultimate Doom 2 just simply crashes after starting the first level (i cant even move and it crashes) . This also happens on chocolate doom (runs perfectly on crispy doom and gzdoom) 

=( 

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy : added TNT evilution to the "not working" list

@Pablo_Doom_Guy You can either a) crack d4v.wad open with SLADE and nuke "P1/2/3_START" and "P1/2/3_END" markers and gfx between them out of it or b) look into other wad's TEXTURE lumps, look for textures that cause errors, compare patches and modify textures or patches as needed or c) use a different port.

Edited by Beginner

On 10/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, JDR said:

It is highly unreccomended to use together wads that both change core mechanics through dehacked, unless they're specifically designed to be cross-compatible. Eviternity happens to have such changes, so the other mod breaks it.

Exactly. Btw, that's the reason why I recommend using the parameter "-nodeh", so you can play wads that use dehacked lumps - as long as they aren't necessary for a complete or almost complete playthrough. Doom 2 The Way id Did It, Moonblood or Going Down, for instance.

Unfortunately, this parameter is broken on GZDoom. People talked about it already, but I don't know if they fixed it or not.

19 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

i found an issue with this mod while trying to play (on marine best friend 2.04 using dosbox) this wads

As it seems, that happens because of how the pwad change the size of some of the stock textures. Very weird though, since it's not a problem on vanilla or chocolate. Regarding D64D2 on chocolate/vanilla - you NEED to load it with the fD64D2.wad file. D64D2 uses a lot of dehacked tricks that aren't compatible with D4V. 

About Ultimate Doom 2, it's not a vanilla mapset IIRC

10 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Exactly. Btw, that's the reason why I recommend using the parameter "-nodeh", so you can play wads that use dehacked lumps - as long as they aren't necessary for a complete or almost complete playthrough. Doom 2 The Way id Did It, Moonblood or Going Down, for instance.

Unfortunately, this parameter is broken on GZDoom. People talked about it already, but I don't know if they fixed it or not.

This is very unlikely to get added as long as it's in the Technical Issues subforum. If you feel this feature should be added, add it to the Feature Suggestions subforum, where it will likely get more attention from the developers. You should also mention the use case for D4V, as a feature is more likely to be added if there is a clear concrete example for why you need that feature.

14 hours ago, Beginner said:

@Pablo_Doom_Guy You can either a) crack d4v.wad open with SLADE and nuke "P1/2/3_START" and "P1/2/3_END" markers and gfx between them out of it or b) look into other wad's TEXTURE lumps, look for textures that cause errors, compare patches and modify textures or patches as needed or c) use a different port.

A)Didn't work or i didnt delete all needed files 

B) after several tries i kinda fixed it using this method (i've deleted zimmer8 texture from d64d2 wad and it runs , the texture only showed a grey 128x128 "image" ) Thank you

C)Using the modified doom2.exe included in with the mod fixes this issue , but not for all wads unfortunately (and i still get the same message but that doesn't prevent the game from loading ) ultra weird 

now i kinda learned how to apply patches on a wad , THANK YOU =) 

4 hours ago, Noiser said:

As it seems, that happens because of how the pwad change the size of some of the stock textures. Very weird though, since it's not a problem on vanilla or chocolate. Regarding D64D2 on chocolate/vanilla - you NEED to load it with the fD64D2.wad file. D64D2 uses a lot of dehacked tricks that aren't compatible with D4V. 

About Ultimate Doom 2, it's not a vanilla mapset IIRC

its weird since its working with doom2.exe , by using the modified exe i was able to fix almost all of the mentioned wads , i'm still having problems with this ones (i load it with fd64d2 and still get the same error , this doesn't dissapear when using the doom2.exe , but the game starts and runs fine ) 

Scythe X (visplane error with doom2.exe , but this one should work with Marine Best friend i guess)

community chest 4 (mbf error column without a patch in texture sky2 , pipewal1 , rock8) doesn't load with doom2.exe since its not a vanilla compatible
THT: Threnody  (Doom2.exe error W_CacheLumpNum 17741 >= numlumps |MBF error column without a patch in wfall1 up to wfall4) 

i will try to manually patch or delete those textures and see if can make them work on mbf 

ultimate doom2 is not vanilla , but since its running on mbf it should run with d4v also , nova.wad is not vanilla and i can play it using d4v.wad 

4 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

A)Didn't work or i didnt delete all needed files 

B) after several tries i kinda fixed it using this method (i've deleted zimmer8 texture from d64d2 wad and it runs , the texture only showed a grey 128x128 "image" ) Thank you

a) As a test I have deleted all entries from "P1_START" down to "P_END" from d4v.wad, tried to run e.g. d64d2 & tnt with port in question (MBF 2.04) and it worked without a hitch;

Spoiler

b) ZIMMER8 texture in d64d2.wad has size of 128x128 and uses a single "RW42_4" patch included in d64d2.wad that also has size of 128x128. D4V.wad has "RW42_4" patch that has size of 64x128, which overwrites d64d2's "RW42_4" patch, what results in turning ZIMMER8 into a texture that consists of a single 64x128 "RW42_4" patch and 64x128 of blank space. Said blank space is what causes MBF to crash. You could've prevented it by either:

-turning ZIMMER8 into a 64x128 texture;

-duplicating "RW42_4" patch and putting it in 64 X\0 Y position to accommodate for d4v's "RW42_4" patch size;

-removing the entirety of patch section from d4v.wad (look at solution a) ) so it doesn't replace any of the patches at all, but that's sort of an extremely crude solution.

As far as I recall deleting texture from TEXTURE lump will result in HOMs where the texture should be drawn as engine has no idea such texture exists, but I may be wrong.

18 hours ago, Beginner said:

a) As a test I have deleted all entries from "P1_START" down to "P_END" from d4v.wad, tried to run e.g. d64d2 & tnt with port in question (MBF 2.04) and it worked without a hitch;

Reveal hidden contents

b) ZIMMER8 texture in d64d2.wad has size of 128x128 and uses a single "RW42_4" patch included in d64d2.wad that also has size of 128x128. D4V.wad has "RW42_4" patch that has size of 64x128, which overwrites d64d2's "RW42_4" patch, what results in turning ZIMMER8 into a texture that consists of a single 64x128 "RW42_4" patch and 64x128 of blank space. Said blank space is what causes MBF to crash. You could've prevented it by either:

-turning ZIMMER8 into a 64x128 texture;

-duplicating "RW42_4" patch and putting it in 64 X\0 Y position to accommodate for d4v's "RW42_4" patch size;

-removing the entirety of patch section from d4v.wad (look at solution a) ) so it doesn't replace any of the patches at all, but that's sort of an extremely crude solution.

As far as I recall deleting texture from TEXTURE lump will result in HOMs where the texture should be drawn as engine has no idea such texture exists, but I may be wrong.

About deleting p1_start to p_end , the problem is that I don't see any files in between . But I did change the texture size on all pwads and now it works , my question is do I have to load the default pwad when not using d4v???

Wow i can`t beleive what i've just done , i wasn't being able to modify tnt.wad since it's an iwad , so i did a little research and found that i can turn an iwad into a pwad for editing purposes , i did so , modify tnt wad (asuming that the textures files to modify were all related to the waterfall ) and now its working =) , so i now have all my pwads running with d4v.wad and i've learnt how to apply patches and edit textures , yay (^_^)

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy