Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

Question about music making

If you want to make MIDI files, Tux Guitar is great, you can compose as sheet music or as guitar tabs. It’s very simple if you know basic music theory. Another one is Sekaiju.

If you just want to make any kind of music, FL studio was always fun to make beats with and my friend Chris used it for laying tracks in our old band. It’s pretty good software, I’m not as experienced in it as I’d like to be though.

I use a lot LMMS, to no disappointment. I run it under Windows and Linux as well. Comes packed with a bunch of interesting synthesizers, VST support, MIDI export and import, etc.

9 hours ago, jupiter_ex said:

I use a lot LMMS, to no disappointment. I run it under Windows and Linux as well. Comes packed with a bunch of interesting synthesizers, VST support, MIDI export and import, etc.

I used it too, it was a little hard to get around and I want to see if there are anymore beginner ones I could try first. Thanks for the suggestion though.

oh, ok. But, do you need a DAW, a MIDI sequencer, a module tracker? What? Something to write music on? Some questions:

do you or do you not read sheet music?

If you read sheet music a MIDI sequencer would do (and wouldn't have the more complicated plugins, effects, audio tracks, and mixing from a DAW). If you don't, there's still MIDI sequencers where you can write in a piano roll. And another alternative could be a module tracker.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, jupiter_ex said:

oh, ok. But, do you need a DAW, a MIDI sequencer, a module tracker? What? Something to write music on? Some questions:

do you or do you not read sheet music?

If you read sheet music a MIDI sequencer would do (and wouldn't have the more complicated plugins, effects, audio tracks, and mixing from a DAW). If you don't, there's still MIDI sequencers where you can write in a piano roll. And another alternative could be a module tracker.

A midi sequencer would work. I'm not doing many big projects, just kinda learning my way around music in case I want to make a megawad with a custom soundtrack. 

These days I pretty much do all my midis in Sekaiju, and I believe it is also Jimmy's midi sequencer of choice as well. I think it is the most powerful midi sequencer out there and importantly it is free. But it has a little bit of a learning curve and there aren't enough tutorials out there on it. If you try it, don't be afraid to ask questions.

https://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/Sekaiju_en.html

Oh and Aria Maestosa is a little more user friendly but less powerful.

https://ariamaestosa.github.io/ariamaestosa/docs/index.html