Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

Well, I am up to MAP16. You've nailed down that old school Ultimate Doom/Doom 2 aesthetic pretty well. I've noticed some clever tricks and puzzles too. Didn't care much for the reused UD/D2 music though, I was hoping for more remixes. But other than that, great work so far. I can't wait to finish the rest of the megawad.

Actually, a solution to the sprite problem has existed for over two decades :) Just use sprite names other than those in the iwad. See STRAIN for a perfect example.

2 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Actually, a solution to the sprite problem has existed for over two decades :) Just use sprite names other than those in the iwad. See STRAIN for a perfect example.

Actually I did try that, but I noticed some technical issues, at least in the context of what I was trying to do.
Look, I'm sure there is a solution, but really, the fact is after 2 years of working on this, I'm done with it. Sure, I will continue to support it and fix bugs and such, but technology is at the point where I think people can stand to download an extra 2MB of data and not care.

21 hours ago, DASI-I said:

No sorry. None of the other mods out there work with this mod.

Final Doomer works fine for me. Btw really great megawad, i`m on map 5 and i like it a lot!

24 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

Final Doomer works fine for me. Btw really great megawad, i`m on map 5 and i like it a lot!

If Final Doomer only changes the weapons and nothing else then (in theory) it should be fine, but I would be cautious because if there is even a sliver of code or custom sprites that messes with the monsters, then you will be fighting some SS Nazis and John Romeo's head instead of the intended monsters :P

Edited by DASI-I

I finally ran into the new monster

Spoiler

That white floating skull thing?

It feels a little overpowered. Is there any way you could tone down how much damage they do?

On 10/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, DASI-I said:

There are two ways to do it. actual screen capturing. Certain source ports can do that. Or demo recording which is basically realtime playback in the game itself. It depends on what source port to use. in the case of Zdoom or GZdoom, heres a forum that may help (very similar the way recording in DOS doom is done) 
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=1931

Would an lmp file zipped up and attached here help (prboom+ recorded)?

Probably I complained about some minor things. Please don't comprehend that as an offensive comment. I don't have time to write right now. I'll write up some thoughts about the first 5 maps later.

6 hours ago, Horus said:

Would an lmp file zipped up and attached here help (prboom+ recorded)?

Sure, or you could just email it to me at dashpace3k@gmail.com

8 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

I finally ran into the new monster

Reveal hidden contents

That white floating skull thing?

It feels a little overpowered. Is there any way you could tone down how much damage they do?

Gameplay wise it's just a flying SS Nazi. More powerful than a shotgunner but not as powerful as a chaingunner. A nice in between the two. Just take cover and you'll be fine.

Guys, I'm an idiot. I don't know how but somehow I have undone some of the fixes to maps 24, 25, 26, and 30 (no items in easy and medium difficulties or players 2-4 spawn points). Please download the latest version again. (I'm such a doofus :P)

Here's an AutoDoom coop FDA demo, which ran for the first few levels until AutoDoom crashed. Notably level 2 is a bit confusing for newcomers.

Attached is a vanilla compatible LMP demo.

doomzero.lmp.zip

Reached map15, I like the game of choice so far, either you go for one thing or another, so something is locked out but you can always make progress with other means without lose of content.

I finished this megawad last night. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Spoiler

It felt more puzzle heavy compared to other megawads I had played previously. I like how the last stages aren't your typical dark red hellscape typically seen in most other megawads. The new Icon of Sin kinda freaked me out (but in a good way), especially when you injure it. I jumped when I saw its injured face for the first time lol. It's not as annoying to kill as the original Icon of Sin since you don't have to wait for a giant lift to take you up to its weak point. I like the ending, especially considering how Doom 2016 starts, although some people might find it to be anti-climactic, but I guess that depends on if they had played Doom 2016 or not. I didn't really care for the new enemy, that floating iron skull thing. I think that should have either been another zombieman looking enemy or even an imp like enemy, or maybe just get rid of it altogether. The new sprite replacement for the plasma rifle is ok. Nothing too spectacular. Looks alright. I wish there was more new music aside from like two or three new music tracks.

Overall, I'd give this an 7.5/10. It's pretty decent. It feels more focused on puzzles and tricks and traps to me compared to other megawads. Any Doomers who like the old school level design and aesthetics of the original Doom and Doom 2 will enjoy this.

I got softlocked in the small teleporter room in Map14. For whatever reason the W1 triggers don't work and the teleporters don't lower to the floor (it seems to work if you change the action from 36 to 38).

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

I got softlocked in the small teleporter room in Map14. For whatever reason the W1 triggers don't work and the teleporters don't lower to the floor (it seems to work if you change the action from 36 to 38).

You're right! I'll fix it

(EDIT): It seems that in some versions of doom (1.666 and ZDoom) the triggers work fine, but in other versions (1.9 and chocolate) it doesnt work. That explains why I didn't catch it and why some people didn't encounter this issue. All these different versions of Doom is really becoming a problem :\

Thanks 
maxmanium

(edit) updated the download link. I suggest that all people using chocolate and other variants like crispy to download it again. Once again, your saves should work as long as you're not on map 14

Edited by DASI-I

8 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

CRC error on the download.

Was fixing it 30 secs ago. Its working now :)

38 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

It seems that in some versions of doom (1.666 and ZDoom) the triggers work fine

Any dude uses v1.666 today???????????????

Don't understand this.

18 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Any dude uses v1.666 today???????????????

Don't understand this.

Yes, I have 1.666. My original copy. When I found out about the 1.9 changes, I had to buy it again from steam just a few weeks ago

Edited by DASI-I

1 hour ago, DASI-I said:

Yes, I have 1.666. My original copy. When I found out about 1.9, I had to buy it again for steam just a few weeks ago

For the record, you probably shouldn't worry about compatibility with v1.666. Very few people still use that version and it's really on them to upgrade since v1.9 has been out since 1995.

3 hours ago, DASI-I said:

I had to buy it again

There are freely-available patches to upgrade between each of the versions.

18 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Sure, or you could just email it to me at dashpace3k@gmail.com

Attached here. Played UV on prBoom+

1st lmp is L1 + L2 death

2nd lmp is L2 + L3 death

3rd lmp is L3 + L4 + L5 death

I did a bit of setting changes during the run as I'm new to the source port

Hope you find it useful

doomzero1.zip

Thank you all for helping me polish this game by reporting bugs and doing streams/recordings of gameplay. All this work has paid off in the form of Doom Zero version 1.1.
Download is available right now.

Something tells me I still might have a lot to do but it has been much easier with everyone's help :)

Played a bit of v1.1, died on Claustrophobia (UV) to misunderstading level progression. Will upload on YouTube, and another ~40 minutes after death as a separate video. Will take a while, though, as it adds up to a total of 30+ GB of footage. Here's a 50 minute demo of gameplay up until the death, for now (recorded in prboom+ 2.5.1.7um).

I like the gameplay so far, although progression is not obvious at times. Also I think I might have broken the invisibility secret in Triple Town (roughly 16:40 in the demo/video).

Also Echo Halls is pretty cool, I really like what you did there.

The lack of map numbers on automap is annoying, though.

rth-dz-fda.zip

On 9/27/2019 at 8:22 AM, DASI-I said:

The goal of Doom Zero isn't just to reuse the basic mechanics of the original Doom 2 (find key, unlock door, exit level) but to create a variety of mechanics that makes traversing the levels more interesting whilst still staying within the confines of the limitations of the original Doom2.exe

Well I'd say it worked well. Plowed through it, the levels overall have monster counts that are usually below 100 but still have plenty of interesting scenarios using the mechanics. While combat was standard, the ways of progression sure weren't, and the secrets can actually be pretty hard to actually get. Well done. Looks like every level in this wad is fully 100% K/I/S so that's great.

2 hours ago, Rathori said:

Played a bit of v1.1, died on Claustrophobia (UV) to misunderstading level progression. Will upload on YouTube, and another ~40 minutes after death as a separate video. Will take a while, though, as it adds up to a total of 30+ GB of footage. Here's a 50 minute demo of gameplay up until the death, for now (recorded in prboom+ 2.5.1.7um).

I like the gameplay so far, although progression is not obvious at times. Also I think I might have broken the invisibility secret in Triple Town (roughly 16:40 in the demo/video).

Also Echo Halls is pretty cool, I really like what you did there.

The lack of map numbers on automap is annoying, though.

rth-dz-fda.zip

I tried to keep the map numbers but in order to be vanilla compatible I only have a limited amount of characters to use, unless I change the names of the levels (which I won't do because I like them), there is nothing I can do about it. Also you can't break the invisibility secret, if you got the powerup then it just means you figured it out. :)

But thanks for the feedback. 30GBs of footage 0_o. yikes.