Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Monster Hunter Ltd.

October, 2019

QPYdZHy.png

> Download Monster Hunter Ltd. Part 1

> Download Monster Hunter Ltd. Part 2
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboards

Spoiler

Standard

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

Prepared

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In October 2019 The Doomworld Ironman League dies to Monster Hunter @didy, an accomplished agent who runs his own dismemberment business out of a war-torn district in urban Hell on Earth. Perhaps you've heard of it? These two single levels are busted-up, grungy, greasy sprawls with photoreal texturing (think lainos but with more flotsam and less politics). As is typical for maps of its kind, aesthetically, they both demand patience and tactical nous, and details can be both an impediment and a concealment for goodies. Stay frosty... and try to steer clear of any sentient pillars of smoke if at all possible.

Similar to what was done with CC4 MAP20 and MAP21 last year, here your kills will aggregate across both levels and both levels must be played in order. Time is a factor only in exiting mohu2.wad ⁠— surviving the "set".

Essential Info

• Doom 2 as the IWAD selected.
  • Compatibility level 9, or "(Boom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 2 maps total.
  • Must be played in order (mohu1.wad > mohu2.wad)
  • One life only across both WADs.

prboom-plus -file mohu1 -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4 -record dwironman...

Spoiler
  • There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of plays that are strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format). No pistol-starting.

• Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 

• No additional WADs may be loaded.

• No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.

• No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.

• If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on MAP01 of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.

• You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.

• You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.

• You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.

• If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.

• Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.

• If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
    2. This is not a blind run. I have played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
    3. This is not a blind run. I have watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)
The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)
The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)
Doom 64 for Doom 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
TNT: Renascence & Resistance (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Ultimate Doom The Way id Did (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Fomalhaut (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Stardate 20X6 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)
Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz)

2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt)

Revolution! (winner: NaZa)

My goodness, look at all these new names cropping up in the winners column! Isn't it great? You'd best make hay while the Demon stays camped in his Well, struggling with the reception, however. I have a feeling this is a window that's probably going to close.

In any case, well done to all accomplished and returning Ironmen!

I will be away at the turn of the month and so won't be able to view demos and update boards past a certain point... not that I needed a reason to slack off before. I probably won't even have access to a computer and there's bugger all chance I can format this stuff on my dinky little phone, so I'll have November's challenge all set up and posted by roughly the 20th, this month.

Very nice! I never played this, and having a win to defend, this might end up being one of the largest flops in the history of the League! 

Category 1. Wow, what cute wads we have here. I really liked the overall theme and those cute, lovely details all over the place. Should have grabbed these wads by myself earlier. Nice choice for the ironman run, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Part 1: Survived in 26:41

Part 2: Died with 107/184 monsters

ironman_anta_mohu.zip

I know I failed to run in time for last month but I'll probably do a back-to-back ironman stream of this wad and last month's one weekend soon. I have to score up for the britbowl after all!

After playing the first part I realized I have seen a video of this wad somewhere. I even managed to recall the secrets in the first level. So I guess its a Cat 2 run for me despite my first attempt.

Part 1:

Demo: mohu1demo.zip (Category 2)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 9)

Completed in 26:05 (with 211 monsters killed)

I could have done it faster but got stuck for a while. I will record part 2 (mohu2) later today.

Hurray, I survived part 2 as well (my first complete Ironman survival). This actually went smoother than part 1. This was also a cat 2 for me.

Part 2:

Demo: mohu2demo.zip (Category 2)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 9)

Completed in 20:58

Total/combined time: 47:03

So mohu1 is a legit salty moment for me.  Finding a permastuck spot was just...typical I guess for my ironman runs, heh.

At least you get a more traditional Anima death with mohu2...complete with me wondering how the seven hells I got away from an archvile using only a chaingun and 9 health.

DWIronman_mohu_AnimaZero.zip

I don't think you were supposed to play part 2 if you died on part 1.

Survived mohu1 in 24 minutes something, I forgot exactly how much.

Nice, but a pretty meh map, also those dogs lol. Cat 2 as I did see some random parts of the map.

seedmohu1.zip

Survived mohu2 in 36 minutes something.

Oh you, youuuuu cryptic crap. I think I lost 20 minutes alone searching for a way to obtain the blue skull. Glad I didn't stream this, I've been cursing on this map excessively until something eventually hit me: Wait a minute... weren't those actually steps? And holy shit, they were -_- .

Glad I survived this challenge but seriously, fuck mohu2. I hate it. It tempted me to can the whole thing, if it wasn't for that revelation. Another Cat 2 as I've seen the beginning of this map, and I'm glad I did:

Spoiler

There's one specific part that can catch you off guard really easy: the AV & Mancubus ambush at the beginning. If you get monster blocked there, it's goodbye.

seedmohu2.zip

ouch.png.64064754d7a948902f9a88dcaf62f9e7.png

Mother of all Flops.

CATEGORY: 1

RESULT: Dead on Mohu2, 108/184 monsters. Probably the same trap that killed Antares.

MONSTERS KILLED: 321/398.

SATISFIED? Yes and no.

I was time-constrained by a thunderstorm which gave me goosebumps occasionally. This saw me clearing Mohu1 relatively quickly in 24:54, albeit having to activate a switch from ground thinking I got permastuck (I had not! I found the switch later.). I was extremely happy with the way I handled it... but then I fired up Mohu2.

Much more stingy right from the get go. The blue skull puzzle had me very confused, but I figured it out, having found some secrets in the meantime. Then, as I had low health throughout the map, I attempted to juggle an archvile's pain chance with 55/45 or something like that, relying on the fact it's not usually above 100 damage... and I wound up dead for a reason. Not sure why! Eh, I was always meant to die. But I'm alright with it!

dwironman_oct10_naza.zip

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

I don't think you were supposed to play part 2 if you died on part 1.

@Alfonzo

This is probably a good point for you to clear up. The OP can be read both ways.

• There are two separate maps.
  • You have to play them in order (Part 1 before Part 2).
  • Your kills aggregate across both maps.
  • You get one life across both maps.
  • This month is similar to the Lupinx-Kassman month with Interstellar Sickness and Shaman's Device.
  • Time only matters if you survive both maps.

I can interpret all of this as:

• Play the first map. If you survive the first map, play the second map. If you die during the first map, play the second map. Sum your kills in both maps.

OR

• Play the first map. If you survive the first map, play the second map. If you die during the first map, stop there. Sum your kills in the maps, whether you played both or only the first map.

Which is correct?

I mostly based it upon this:

One life only across both WADs.

Well then, I misread...and that makes my permastuck moment even MORE of a salty moment.  Only I would be doing remotely well and find an easy to jump into permastuck zone, wouldn't it ;p?

39 minutes ago, Anima Zero said:

Well then, I misread...and that makes my permastuck moment even MORE of a salty moment.  Only I would be doing remotely well and find an easy to jump into permastuck zone, wouldn't it ;p?

I want a word with you :p.

No, in terms of making stupid mistakes, dying when it's easy, and do unexpected things, I am the one, unrivaled champion. I sometimes call myself the Mistake Man for a reason.

Shit happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Mohu1: Category 2 - survived in 28:32

Mohu2: Category 1 - DNF with 71/182 enemies dead

Demos are available here.

Do you have to kill all the enemies in each level? Or is just straight survival so some monsters and rooms can be skipped

You don't have to kill all the monsters, but if you fail to survive the set (both levels combined, in this case) then the number of monsters you do kill will determine where you rank. If you survive the set, time alone is the determining factor.

32 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

You don't have to kill all the monsters, but if you fail to survive the set (both levels combined, in this case) then the number of monsters you do kill will determine where you rank. If you survive the set, time alone is the determining factor.

Perhaps I'm just being dense, but:

Do you play both maps, even if you don't survive the first map?

Or do you stop if you die on the first map?

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Perhaps I'm just being dense, but:

Perhaps 'overly literal'.

The 'stop if you die in the first map' is what people did in the CC4 20/21 month. Or, straight from the horse's mouth*:

On 9/2/2018 at 5:24 AM, Alfonzo said:

Clarification for those who are unsure as to how these are meant to be played, since I've worded dual-set selections in other titles similarly: these two levels are played MAP20 into MAP21 as part of the same recording. One attempt! Dying on MAP20 does not entitle you to a second go on MAP21 and vice versa.

*To my knowledge, Alfonzo is not actually a horse.

rd's on the money. I'll probably make some sort of mini glossary so I can stamp each challenge with a single word for everyone's convenience. I think I attempted this a while ago for a month or two and then, just... stopped?

Anyway, yes: two seperate WADs; mohu1.wad played before mohu2.wad; one life only as though they were two maps back-to-back in the 01 and 02 slots. You can't play mohu2 if you die in mohu1.

This will usually be done for maps that are perhaps insufficient as standalone challenges but combined make for a compelling "single level" experience. Another example of this would be the Jägermörder duology (although these two don't occupy the same MAP01 slot, for convenience), which we will play at some point. Something that isn't an example of this would be the Vrack series, which I would definitely aggregate kills for but allow multiple lives for, also. In this case, it's because they are satisfactory standalone challenges... I just like the idea of packaging series ala Vae Victus, especially if the total play time falls into a snug bracket.