Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mad Dal 85

Laser Beams

Question

I downloaded a special effects pack that has laser beams but Doomguy and the monsters can just walk straight through them when they are active. Anyone know how to get them to block players and monsters when they are activated? There's nothing in the script file about it blocking things.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Without seeing the pack, I can only guess they are designed to be used in conjunction with line actions in maps (i.e. a line that blocks or hurts the player when crossed).

You're correct. While this download has a demo wad, it does not show any repulsion effect.

Have a look at Guardsoul's E1M3 - Toxin refinery remake which shows a well designed forcefield with appropriate sounds.

Spoiler

FSQBJyt.png

To find where to deactivate the forcefield, though, needs a bit of sleuthing. :)

[edit]

Another good forcefield is in Rex's phobos-g.pk3.

But the best forcefield, in my opinion, is in KDiZD map Z1M9. Initially it is invisible but becomes visible as you bump into it and being pushed back.

[edit2]

The best way for you to learn is to isolate those forcefield sectors and extract the appropriate scripts and resources and copy/paste into your own map(s).

Edited by Kappes Buur

Well, I really don't use that file you are using right now, but I used some laser-beams thing some time ago for a map I'm still working on in a way that it could trigger security drones, using a ACS Script that would wake them up upon crossed.

Thus, if you can't get them to work as it's 'told' or something, you can use your own creativity to do something maybe even better! Like trap-triggers or something that blocks the player via "Player block" and "Monster block" special actions (Or something, I don't remember the name) and then using ACS to make that lower, I don't know if that would work but is it the closest to what you want?

By the way, I used a texture pack in order to accomplish so, if this works exactly as some kind of 'default SFX' thing (?) you could add two invisible walls (Max transparency) and use the ACS method I told you, for example activating a switch and both the invisible walls and the beams.

If you want to go further and make them damage you.. Well I don't know but I'll try to think and tell you later if you need it.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, Mad Dal 85 said:

.... laser beams but Doomguy and the monsters can just walk straight through them when they are active. Anyone know how to get them to block players and monsters when they are activated? There's nothing in the script file about it blocking things.

A couple of minor points. If the game has laser beams across a path, the intention generally is to incinerate the actor that crosses the beams. In this case, there won't be a blocking function to the linedef representing the laser beams; instead the function will be to inflict damage. [Alternatively, the laser beams could be used to serve as a "trip-wire"; again, the linedef wouldn't block the actor.]

If you want a blocking function (with or without a degree of damage or thrust-back when the actor tries to cross) you're best served by a force-field. Refer to the examples provided by Kappes Buur.