Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaxRideWizardLord

Does anybody else feel that the main tune of 'Into Sandy's City' was took from, or least inspired from Russian Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?

Meanwhile I'm just over here, thinking mystery solved years ago.   It was elementary, my dear Watson.  And why is everyone still talking about the STP song?

On 10/4/2019 at 12:03 AM, Gokuma said:

Meanwhile I'm just over here, thinking mystery solved years ago.   It was elementary, my dear Watson.  And why is everyone still talking about the STP song?

Yeah, I honestly don't get it either. I find it funny that Diabolución actually did provide STP song, and yet doesn't sound anything like Into Sandy's City, neither any of the midi comments provide any information as to whether or not Robert Prince was inspired by that one particular song when he wrote Into Sandy's City. It's a quite a conundrum for me to know where exactly did that myth came from, as there no information about it on internet aside from some fan websites that just assume where each song was inspired\copied from.

1 hour ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

and yet doesn't sound anything like Into Sandy's City, neither any of the midi comments provide any information as to whether or not Robert Prince was inspired by that one particular song when he wrote Into Sandy's City.

image.png.dc98c095f099aa3b08b165c6c331a4ef.png

I'll confess that yeah, to my musically untrained ear, it doesn't sound similar, but if those who are more musically inclined say it is... I don't have a good argument there.

can't wait for this to be completely and utterly rejected by another 5 paragraph essay of a post

ed: actually to throw a little fuel on the fire in the other direction, Sandy Petersen, even way back when, was well read, and he was also familiar with some Russian media (he mentions Alexander Nevsky a lot), but I do find the idea of say, Sandy showing office mates a Russian adaption of Sherlock Holmes, that he had said thing on hand, and that it musically inspired Bobby Prince to be slightly absurd.

I am wondering if John Romero still keeps somehow the authentic MIDIs of the released songs, without the destructive conversion to MUS, which wiped any relevant metadata.

19 minutes ago, SaladBadger said:

image.png.dc98c095f099aa3b08b165c6c331a4ef.png

I'll confess that yeah, to my musically untrained ear, it doesn't sound similar, but if those who are more musically inclined say it is... I don't have a good argument there.

can't wait for this to be completely and utterly rejected by another 5 paragraph essay of a post

ed: actually to throw a little fuel on the fire in the other direction, Sandy Petersen, even way back when, was well read, and he was also familiar with some Russian media (he mentions Alexander Nevsky a lot), but I do find the idea of say, Sandy showing office mates a Russian adaption of Sherlock Holmes, that he had said thing on hand, and that it musically inspired Bobby Prince to be slightly absurd.

What you're highlighted in that image is is the un23, which is completely different midi that has *nothing* in common with Into Sandy's City song. Diabolución already shown us one.

Also, the correct word is not "rejected", but 'disproven' ;)

53 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Frankly, you're looking for the wrong thing, @MaxRideWizardLord.

It's not an instrumental similarity, or a sound similarity.

It's in the chord progression.

Well, I've just analysed both songs by notes, and I can't see a single thing that is common in them, be that chords, or temps, or notes, or progression.

Derp, everything I just said was already said in another post, but I didn't see it the first time. Adblocker strikes again.

I would love to have non-MUS versions of all the iwad music as well. The 90's captures of bpmusic.com only seem to have about 10 of the untampered Doom/Doom2 MIDIs. A full pack of all the unmolested Doom1, Doom2 and TNT MIDIs would be swell.

Edited by Doomkid