Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

Custom weapon pickup sound for BFG only

Question

Hi

How would I be able to create a custom pickup sound for the BFG only? I'm doing a DM map for a large LAN party consisting of a group of people who have an inside joke, and getting the BFG would have to alert them with that inside joke word. I do have the sound fx already, and would insert it into a lump. How would I get the BFG to recognize that lump while the other weapons still play the original pickup sound?

3 answers to this question

You'll have to inherit from and replace the BFG actor while only changing the pickup sound property. In a DECORATE lump, write something like:

ACTOR NewBFG : BFG9000 replaces BFG9000
{
   Inventory.PickupSound "misc/newbfgup"
}

And then once that is done, you need to assign the edited BFG to a new player class:

ACTOR NewDoomPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
   Player.WeaponSlot 7, "NewBFG"
}

We also need to define this sound, so in a SNDINFO lump:

misc/newbfgup <your sound file lump name>

Finally, in a MAPINFO lump, set this class as the only class that will be chosen:

gameinfo
{
   playerclasses = "NewDoomPlayer"
}

That should do it.

Modifying the DoomPlayer or adding a new player class is unnecessary.   Just put   Weapon.SlotNumber 7  in the NewBFG section.   Or maybe see if it works without it.   It's not under the original BFG9000 actor, but it's being replaced (and inherited by) the NewBFG, so the the regular BFG already being set up might be enough.

EDIT: Nevander's post helped me with something else.   Setting a new player class as the only player got the Burn and Disintegrate Deaths from Strife working with inheriting StrifePlayer.

Edited by Gokuma