Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maximum Matt

Doom Eternal release posponed to March 2020

This should probably be in the doom eternal section. But...

I have to say I really appreciate Bethesda not fucking up doom yet. Let the guys deliver a finished product. It will be worth it for everyone in the end. 

Better a late product than a crap product. It is annoying, but it was 100% the correct call to make.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:57 AM, rampancy said:

This should probably be in the doom eternal section.

1310565736166702798doh-hi.png.a76c4b51d7cf94e21830098fc6cfa5ed.png

That's why I don't post topics very often

Edited by Maximum Matt

23 hours ago, rampancy said:

This should probably be in the doom eternal section. But...

I have to say I really appreciate Bethesda not fucking up doom yet. Let the guys deliver a finished product. It will be worth it for everyone in the end. 

Bethesda is notorious for releasing unfinished products, so I'm surprised they chose to delay the release.

3 hours ago, E.M. said:

Bethesda is notorious for releasing unfinished products, so I'm surprised they chose to delay the release.

Given id was hardly just any old developer, likely the terms of their contract give them finer control than most.

7 hours ago, E.M. said:

Bethesda is not the developer however, and didn't show any signs of interfering with the development process. They let id do their job.

2 hours ago, seed said:

Bethesda is not the developer however, and didn't show any signs of interfering with the development process. They let id do their job.

The last thing Bethesda needs is another glitchy bug infested game with their name associated with it.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

The last thing Bethesda needs is another glitchy bug infested game with their name associated with it.

The hate for Bethesda bugs seems to be real these days. What I think some people ignore here (whether purposefully or not), is that their games typically have a lot of content. It is a nightmare to debug such a game, no matter how many testers you have post-launch a multitude of bugs are likely going to surface anyway. It would be more fair to look at other games that have far less content (and no mod support) and are glitchfests, those don't really have many excuses.

Now, yes, it can also be argued that Bethesda probably just doesn't have capable programmers, or that they stick to an outdated engine on which they keep slapping features instead of creating something better, look at some recurring issues for example (physics tied to framerate is one notorious example) that they had to fix in every game that came at least after Skyrim, and ran on the Creation Engine, or that they simply make a series of bad decisions, but my point here is that the situation is perhaps not as black-and-whitebas it might look on a surface level and maybe there's other factors involved for why their games have always been glitchy.

i still can't process how they got popular off Oblivion

lol the game's an inexplicable mess

they made magic boring, centred on an overly traditional setting, made levelling up undesirable etc.

glitches are the least of their problems; some of the bugs and mis-set data even has really charming results

they owe Patrick Stewart big time

luckily everything they do is impeachable because Daggerfall is the coolest game ever

54 minutes ago, seed said:

The hate for Bethesda bugs seems to be real these days. What I think some people ignore here (whether purposefully or not), is that their games typically have a lot of content. It is a nightmare to debug such a game, no matter how many testers you have post-launch a multitude of bugs are likely going to surface anyway. It would be more fair to look at other games that have far less content (and no mod support) and are glitchfests, those don't really have many excuses.

Now, yes, it can also be argued that Bethesda probably just doesn't have capable programmers, or that they stick to an outdated engine on which they keep slapping features instead of creating something better, look at some recurring issues for example (physics tied to framerate is one notorious example) that they had to fix in every game that came at least after Skyrim, and ran on the Creation Engine, or that they simply make a series of bad decisions, but my point here is that the situation is perhaps not as black-and-whitebas it might look on a surface level and maybe there's other factors involved for why their games have always been glitchy.

Absolutely , big open world games which bethesda is well known for are always going to have bugs left in that will be seen only by chance later on after the game has released. However , after the on going calamitous joke that Fallout 76 has become , Bethesda don't need a repeat of that.

Though with that being said ,having Id at the helm and Bethesda only in a publishing role , I doubt anything to that magnitude would happen in DOOM Eternals case.

I'm saddened by this news. I hope the product is in good shape by the end of it. Perhaps there was too much crunch on the workers, which is a good reason to delay the game.

However if it's some dubious and deliberate move by Bethesda... I will be pissed.

13 hours ago, E.M. said:

Bethesda is still not developing the game.

How many goddamn times does that need to be said for people to get it?

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Absolutely , big open world games which bethesda is well known for are always going to have bugs left in that will be seen only by chance later on after the game has released. However , after the on going calamitous joke that Fallout 76 has become , Bethesda don't need a repeat of that.

Though with that being said ,having Id at the helm and Bethesda only in a publishing role , I doubt anything to that magnitude would happen in DOOM Eternals case.

Agreed, with F76 Bethesda has made a multitude of bad PR, and even game-related, poor decisions, almost comedic ones no less. If they don't want to end up in the same boat with the likes of EA, Activision, and other villains of the industry, they absolutely must learn to avoid doing what they did with F76 and everything surrounding it in the future.

Still, there's no reason to believe the story is going to repeat with Eternal, I think they realize going against the interests of the fans is only going to bite them in the ass really fucking bad, like it did others. They've also not demonstrated they're interested in turning the studios they've acquired into utter garbage.

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

i still can't process how they got popular off Oblivion

lol the game's an inexplicable mess

they made magic boring, centred on an overly traditional setting, made levelling up undesirable etc.

glitches are the least of their problems; some of the bugs and mis-set data even has really charming results

they owe Patrick Stewart big time

luckily everything they do is impeachable because Daggerfall is the coolest game ever

That's just your opinion. I love Oblivion. It was my first ES game and I enjoy it more than Skyrim to be honest.

Delaying a video game makes hype and expectations grow bigger so, they better be doing something amazing this time.

I still have faith on ID, I know Doom Eternal will be epic.