Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caffeine Freak

Bobby Prince files lawsuit against Randy Pitchford, Gearbox and Valve

On 10/2/2019 at 11:07 PM, Jello said:

Problem is, Gearbox has lawyers. Lots of lawers. If they couldn't find this in the original contract, and just assumed that they owned all the assets, well, they better fire their lawyers. I'm not going to sympathize with them at all; they've been outright greedy fucks for quite a while now, and Pitchford is King Douche of Shit Mountain.

Now if this would've been the Gearbox that made Opposing Forces, I would see things differently. But it's not, the company has moved on from making good games.

GearBox has been correct before with Duke 3D licensing legal issues, so their lawyers might know more than we're hearing about.

Bobby's contract might just say he gets royalties for Duke 3D, but Duke 3D: World Tour could be different or a duration date expired, any number of things and I haven't seen the contract. I'm also surprised that Valve didn't take the game down if Bobby DMCA'd Duke World Tour. GearBox can always counter claim to keep it posted and then Bobby would have to go to court. I have had to DMCA before and I was walked through the process.

I imagine finances over at GearBox have not gone too well trying to make another Borderlands since this time after the failure that Battle Bourne was.

Randy seems to be engulfed in random legal battles. Ex partner suing, that USB drive with minors on it, his assistant embezzling money, the other game that tried to use the Duke Nuke'em IP, the lawsuit with Sega over false advertising, adding that bonus to his private account so he didn't have to pay out royalties as it's private and not related to Borderlands.

Then again I like to just believe Randy is a scum bucket because these stories keep piling up, so I'll side with Bobby Prince, a cancer patient on this one.

Speaking of Bobby's cancer this is the last that the fundraiser has: "May 18, 2017 by David Prince, Organizer

It is May 18th, and Bobby is doing well. In the last surgery, they were unable to remove the part of the colon that they wanted to due to a large amount of scar tissue. They did an ileostomy in order for everything to heal. In his most recent colonoscopy, the surgeon said that everything looked good, but he won't know for sure until the results of biopsies are returned. Please continue with your support, both spiritually and financially, as the bills seem never-ending. God Bless"

Edited by geo

16 hours ago, Master O said:

Or better yet, take out the shrink ray, aim and shoot it at Randy, then step on him when he's shrunk.

nah that's too humane, he would die instantly.

3 hours ago, Salahmander2 said:

Didn't Bobby once study something in law or something? If so, Randy and co are more or less screwed.

More than that, he passed the bar in 1980. He's a retired lawyer.

Hope Randy loses the rights to Duke Nukem. That'll mean the 3D Realms Duke Nukem games can go back on the store shelves.

59 minutes ago, TomMorgan said:

Hope Randy loses the rights to Duke Nukem.

That's not going to happen. At least not as a consequence of this lawsuit.

32 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's not going to happen. At least not as a consequence of this lawsuit.

Hey, a guy can dream.

13 hours ago, TomMorgan said:

Hey, a guy can dream.

That's all we can do in the foreseeable future. Duke should go back to 3DR, or if not, Devolver/FWH should buy it and do it justice.

Duke has no future under GB, that's for certain. They have all but demonstrated they have zero interest in selling the rights, and do nothing with the IP, just sit on it and keep everyone away from touching it.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:11 AM, seed said:

That's all we can do in the foreseeable future. Duke should go back to 3DR, or if not, Devolver/FWH should buy it and do it justice.

Duke has no future under GB, that's for certain. They have all but demonstrated they have zero interest in selling the rights, and do nothing with the IP, just sit on it and keep everyone away from touching it.

I don't know where the Duke ip should go. 3DR isn't the same company anymore so i don't really know who should have the rights. I personally wouldn't give it back to them. Maybe Nightdive, although they usually just re-release games if i understand correctly. It would be cool to see them create a game (unless they did in the past and i just don't know about it). Either way an official re-release of Duke 3D that doesn't suck that can be sold might be nice for the casual Duke fans that don't want to set up Duke32, even if it isn't hard to set up. That'll never happen though.

I agree though that Duke has no future under Gearbox. Even though i stated that i'd rather have someone other than 3DR have the rights, i would rather have 3DR have the rights back than Gearbox still continue to hold onto them and not do anything with Duke tbh lol.

27 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I don't know where the Duke ip should go. 3DR isn't the same company anymore so i don't really know who should have the rights. I personally wouldn't give it back to them. Maybe Nightdive, although they usually just re-release games if i understand correctly. It would be cool to see them create a game (unless they did in the past and i just don't know about it). Either way an official re-release of Duke 3D that doesn't suck that can be sold might be nice for the casual Duke fans that don't want to set up Duke32, even if it isn't hard to set up. That'll never happen though.

I agree though that Duke has no future under Gearbox. Even though i stated that i'd rather have someone other than 3DR have the rights, i would rather have 3DR have the rights back than Gearbox still continue to hold onto them and not do anything with Duke tbh lol.

For all of us really, not just casual fans, because: WT is overpriced, has none of the expansions apart from its extra Episode 5, is glitchy (not like eduke32 is doing much better at the moment) and completely abandoned, and closed source, unlike Megaton its source was never released, as a big fuck you to the community (consequently, eduke32 only has partial support for it, Episode 5 is not fully supported).

With 3DR, at least we'd have the complete classic Duke series on PC (minus console exclusives and whatnot), now we have almost nothing. I've heard they planned on releasing something before they lost the rights, whatever that was is gone now.

I too would prefer 3DR having Duke's IP. At the very least we would have gotten a BUILD engine based sequel for Duke3d.

Infact, I read somewhere that 3DR was planning about making/publishing a new Duke game on Build engine but Gearbox didn't allow them to use Duke's IP. Thus 3DR decided to do a Bombshell game on Build instead. And we ended up getting Ion Fury.

1 hour ago, seed said:

For all of us really, not just casual fans, because: WT is overpriced, has none of the expansions apart from its extra Episode 5, is glitchy (not like eduke32 is doing much better at the moment) and completely abandoned, and closed source, unlike Megaton its source was never released, as a big fuck you to the community (consequently, eduke32 only has partial support for it, Episode 5 is not fully supported).

With 3DR, at least we'd have the complete classic Duke series on PC (minus console exclusives and whatnot), now we have almost nothing. I've heard they planned on releasing something before they lost the rights, whatever that was is gone now.

Hmm...now that i really think about it, maybe if 3DR did get the rights back they could really do a proper re-release, especially since they are a new company and George Broussard isn't there anymore (we all know that he was the main "problem" behind Duke Forever). I also thought that the Megaton edition was based off of the JFDuke3D source port but you stated that it's source was never released and i can't find any info stating that it is based off of that source port. I swear i read that it was but oh well. I'm probably wrong lol.

I bought WT for like $3 on sale so i guess it's worth it for that price and for the new EP and i actually kinda like the new renderer but i agree otherwise that it is definitely overpriced. I also can't stand how messed up the weapon switching is for the mouse wheel. It's practically useless for me and i tend to use it quite a bit in DN3D, unlike in Doom where i have set up keybinds for everything.

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Hmm...now that i really think about it, maybe if 3DR did get the rights back they could really do a proper re-release, especially since they are a new company and George Broussard isn't there anymore (we all know that he was the main "problem" behind Duke Forever). I also thought that the Megaton edition was based off of the JFDuke3D source port but you stated that it's source was never released and i can't find any info stating that it is based off of that source port. I swear i read that it was but oh well. I'm probably wrong lol.

I bought WT for like $3 on sale so i guess it's worth it for that price and for the new EP and i actually kinda like the new renderer but i agree otherwise that it is definitely overpriced. I also can't stand how messed up the weapon switching is for the mouse wheel. It's practically useless for me and i tend to use it quite a bit in DN3D, unlike in Doom where i have set up keybinds for everything.

No, you read that incorrectly. Megaton was based off of JonoF's work (I think he's even mentioned in the credits), and its source is still available: https://github.com/TermiT/duke3d-megaton

termit was in fact a developer, so that repository should be the right one. World Tour's case, however, there's no such thing because they (or rather Nerve as they handled it, from what I've been reading) started again and made their own port from scratch but never released the source, and if anything, probably never will. They didn't even care to patch their own damn game (it only ever received one patch on PC, and the fixes were never ported to the consoles, that's quite telling. And yet Randy wonders why the Duke community shit on WT and "didn't support it enough").

5$-8$ is all WT is worth in my opinion, Megaton was 10$ and came with a shitload more content.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

No, you read that incorrectly. Megaton was based off of JonoF's work (I think he's even mentioned in the credits), and its source is still available: https://github.com/TermiT/duke3d-megaton

termit was in fact a developer, so that repository should be the right one. World Tour's case, however, there's no such thing because they (or rather Nerve as they handled it, from what I've been reading) started again and made their own port from scratch but never released the source, and if anything, probably never will. They didn't even care to patch their own damn game (it only ever received one patch on PC, and the fixes were never ported to the consoles, that's quite telling. And yet Randy wonders why the Duke community shit on WT and "didn't support it enough").

5$-8$ is all WT is worth in my opinion, Megaton was 10$ and came with a shitload more content.

Oh i gotcha now. Yeah i did misread (doh!). I'm glad i was actually right though, at least i can remember some stuff correctly lol. I also don't own the Megaton edition so i've never played through it to see how good of a port it truly is. It's true though that the consoles never did get the patches for WT which is a damn shame for console players. My friend almost bought it on XB1 and i had to tell him not to due to how bad the sound is as well as other bugs. He's mainly a console gamer so he probably wouldn't play it on his laptop. 

Also it seems like you know a hell of alot more about this subject than i do so i'll just take your word for it from now on haha ;)

18 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Oh i gotcha now. Yeah i did misread (doh!). I'm glad i was actually right though, at least i can remember some stuff correctly lol. I also don't own the Megaton edition so i've never played through it to see how good of a port it truly is. It's true though that the consoles never did get the patches for WT which is a damn shame for console players. My friend almost bought it on XB1 and i had to tell him not to due to how bad the sound is as well as other bugs. He's mainly a console gamer so he probably wouldn't play it on his laptop. 

Also it seems like you know a hell of alot more about this subject than i do so i'll just take your word for it from now on haha ;)

It is always good to question what you're being told :p.

But yea, I'm familiar with the situation mainly because I followed what was happening more-or-less closely after Gearbox acquired the rights.

As about the quality of Megaton, it was decent but it also had its issues, performance and stability ones more exactly. For reference, you can check out Shadow Warrior Classic Redux which is virtually the same port but for SW (excluding MP), as the same company handled both remasters.

The only other notable difference would be the lack of adjustable FOV via a slider that Megaton never shipped with, and was never added despite being massively requested for some reason. The network code was also not very good unfortunately, I never cared for MP but based on what the developers said, it was very sensitive to the players' location, and they even recommended playing with players from the same country, city, or even street. I don't think Megaton ever had great MP.