Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Blizzard issue severe penalties for Hearthstone player supporting Hong Kong protests

seeing companies like disney and blizzard grovel to the cpc makes me sick. assholes have no gd tegridy. the cpc is a nightmare and i ban them.

Wow, fuck Blizzard and their shitty games! They've been riding on Starcraft, WoW and Diablo for idk how long now. I don't play any of them anyways (although i did like Warcraft III back some years ago) so to hell with them! Free speech my ass!

Oh nice, fuck freedom of thought and free speech right?

Yeah fuck you too then, now I know for sure I won't be touching any of their games, how dare people hold different views.

What baffles me is how these idiots who should be internet-savvy professionals always tend to forget how the internet works.

These things always become public and bite them in the ass, especially when like in this case the majority of their users will not side with their decision.

6 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

What baffles me is how these idiots who should be internet-savvy professionals always tend to forget how the internet works.

These things always become public and bite them in the ass, especially when like in this case the majority of their users will not side with their decision.

Can't disagree there. Here's the problem though, the vast majority of those who find blizzard's actions "questionable" will still keep on playing blizzard's games. In the meantime blizzard also gets to enjoy the benefit of raking in money from the Chinese market, which I hear is a pretty damn substantial one.

In other words, so long as blizzard's customers don't put their money where their mouth is (or rather don't stop putting it where it isn't), nothing will come out of this that will have a long lasting effect. If I were to hazard a guess, then next time blizzard bends the knee to some authorities there's gonna be a few videos on the subject that will bring this up again - like the Jimqusition - and a few weeks or months down the line everything is forgotten until the next PR-fuckup. That's how it's always been, and I'd be pretty damn surprised if suddenly things were to change for the better.

Sure, blame the blizzard for the shit they're doing, but don't blame blizzard for getting away with it. The latter rests entirely on the shoulders of their customers.

I don’t like the fact that US companies get to enjoy all the lobbyist driven perverse incentives of operating a business here but then get to use their power for the favor of foreign states. Something about it doesn’t sit right. Also, so many companies are going to look like IBM building death camp tabulation machines for Nazis in the long run. Imagine explaining to your grandkids who openly learn about early 21st century Chinese government moral failings that you worked for or supported a company that took its position of comfort in the US to support terrible things across the globe in the name of greed. In the name of video game competitions lmao. That’s the kind of shit read off to you about your life before you get sent to hell if there was an afterlife. “So you got greedy about video game competitions and defended an awful regime for..video game competitions?”

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Can't disagree there. Here's the problem though, the vast majority of those who find blizzard's actions "questionable" will still keep on playing blizzard's games. In the meantime blizzard also gets to enjoy the benefit of raking in money from the Chinese market, which I hear is a pretty damn substantial one.

In other words, so long as blizzard's customers don't put their money where their mouth is (or rather don't stop putting it where it isn't), nothing will come out of this that will have a long lasting effect. If I were to hazard a guess, then next time blizzard bends the knee to some authorities there's gonna be a few videos on the subject that will bring this up again - like the Jimqusition - and a few weeks or months down the line everything is forgotten until the next PR-fuckup. That's how it's always been, and I'd be pretty damn surprised if suddenly things were to change for the better.

Sure, blame the blizzard for the shit they're doing, but don't blame blizzard for getting away with it. The latter rests entirely on the shoulders of their customers.

I concur. Thing is, boycotting Tencent is like trying to boycott Nestle at this point. Sure, we can send Blizzard a message, but then there's Epic, Ubisoft and whoever else whose pie they have a finger in. As far as I am concerned, all of those companies are now on notice. We've already seen Ubi try to nerf Siege in order to please their Chinese overlords and now this. And it's only going to get worse.

So, when Blizzard inevitably pulls another JK Rowling with one of the Overwatch cast, remember what happened here. Truth is, they don't care about identity. They don't care about inclusion. They don't care about oppression. Then don't care about privilege, or free speech, or even hate speech, or anything else they might preach about on Twitter. When it comes to that sweet Chinese dollar, they'll take a shit on all of it, and indeed their fans, for the sake of their bottom line.

Also, before anyone comes at me with, "What happened to 'keep politics out of games? HYPOCRITE EXPOSED! etc.'" this ain't it. This was a case of an individual seizing an opportunity to make a statement that just happened to be at an esports tourney. It's no different from Colin Kaepernick taking the knee. I just hope they don't get to blitzcheung like the NBA did with Daryl Morey.

What I will say is that I actually find it heartening that Blizzard's fuck-up was so monumentally complete that people from all political stripes are coming together to put them on blast. I doubt it will be enough for us all to finally unite against the common enemy of authoritarianism, but just maybe there is hope for us all.

I hope people are considering unsubbing from world of theme parks, cancelling war3 pre-orders and cancel blizzcon tickets. They only care about money. Not going to their stupid marketing con is a bigger hit to them than going there to show how much you hate them. I HATE YOU BLIZZARD HERE TAKE MY MONEY FIRST will never work.

I wonder how many of the people saying that Blizzard's games are bad actually mean that, and aren't just speaking out in anger towards them. Generally speaking, Blizzard's games have been pretty good. 

They aren't bad but they are extremely overrated. They aren't much better than other games in their respective genres. A dev or two updating a game for ages after release isn't something exclusive to them either. 

^ Pretty much.

I was planning for a loooong time to get the older Diablo games since I first saw them way back when I was just a kid, but after this, I probably never will, or take the piracy route. Just like others said before, if you want things to change, it's time to finally act upon it. Bitching and still giving them the $$$ is never, ever going to achieve anything but the very opposite of the desired outcome.

16 hours ago, Marn said:

Huh? What stake does Blizzard have in this? 

China won't let them into their country. Some cheap knock off will replace them. Losing out on revenue.

Well, this is how business goes.

18 minutes ago, seed said:

I was planning for a loooong time to get the older Diablo games since I first saw them way back when I was just a kid, but after this, I probably never will, or take the piracy route. Just like others said before, if you want things to change, it's time to finally act upon it. Bitching and still giving them the $$$ is never, ever going to achieve anything but the very opposite of the desired outcome.

Can't agree more than this.

Edited by GarrettChan

22 minutes ago, seed said:

^ Pretty much.

If you want to play Diablo, then try Diablo 3D (uses the heretic iwad, but it's nothing at all like Heretic). It's Diablo 1 and 2, minus Blizzard.

Being a longtime Blizzard fan since they were making games on the SNES as Silicone and Synapse, to see the meteoric fall displayed over the past 10-15 years has been disappointing, but not unexpected. It happens often, not only with games but music and other media. In this case specifically Blizzard's games have been cross-pollinating and becoming more and more homogeneous since at least Diablo 3. Wow became more like D3 and the hearthstone RNG mentality crept into everything as if that was what the playerbase wanted. Delays and missteps were rampant, and as good as Blizzard was at delivering a polished product, they have been more out-of-step with what fans want for the past few decades. Their formula for a long time appeared to be synthesizing pre-existing ideas and making games that fit a certain quality standard. As companies grow and the original staff move on or are replaced, it seems that initial driving focus has been watered down and eventually lost.

Edited by reflex17 : typo

It might not be related to real-life events,but Fallout 76 players got permament bans for discovering hidden development room. It's kind of like Bethesda is breaking the 4th wall easter egg.

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I can only presume you mean "buying" instead of "playing"--as not playing games one already owns won't change anything.

14 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

I can only presume you mean "buying" instead of "playing"--as not playing games one already owns won't change anything.

Playing a game increases the chance that you purchase something in the game.

2 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Playing a game increases the chance that you purchase something in the game.

Right, while their newer titles have in-app purchases but their older ones (their library bulk) do not.

Like out of their games that I own: SC1, SC:WoL, SC:HotS, Diablo 1/2 +XP, and WC1/2/3 +XP; me playing those games or not won't affect Blizzard.

34 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Right, while their newer titles have in-app purchases but their older ones (their library bulk) do not.

Like out of their games that I own: SC1, SC:WoL, SC:HotS, Diablo 1/2 +XP, and WC1/2/3 +XP; me playing those games or not won't affect Blizzard.

The thing you quoted, NIH talked about generally, not the subset of games you're talking about. Yeah, playing the game listed here doesn't affect, but you have to see things as a whole, not just by yourself.

17 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

They have set rule against damaging Blizzard's image, but they damages it by themselves. WTF???

Well, between image and revenue, they chose revenue, which makes a lot of sense for a business.