Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moo Moo Armageddon

is there any maps that use silent teleporters?

in duke nukem 3d (and other build engine games), there are silent teleporters that teleport you to another floor

(example: player enters elevator. waits 1 sec. teleported to another elevator without knowing it. elevator stops at second floor. player leaves)

Yep, plenty of Boom maps that make use of silent teleporters to fake room-over-room setups. There's actually an demonstration of such a thing right in boomedit.wad, the example map made to illustrate what Boom can do and how the effects are set up.

This is a feature that was introduced in Boom, iirc, and consequently has been used in many Boom and UDMF maps, with varying degrees of subtlety. More recent UDMF maps generally use portals for the kind of effect you're describing, admittedly. Impossible: A New Reality (ZDoom-targeting) features, to my knowledge, the most in-your-face use of silent teleporters. I have a few of maps that have used them, including my maps for the most recent Joy of Mapping, Nova III and Interception 2.

Silent teleporters are theoretically possible in vanilla with just a little graphic and sound replacement (or, more precisely, blanking/silencing). They'd be much jankier than the Boom equivalent, since they wouldn't adjust for the angle at which you entered the teleport. But it could probably work decently in some specific situations, especially for, say, a spot that you have to jump to reach or which was in a dark or already disorienting space. It would also mean that you wouldn't be able to have any traditional teleporters (well, some dehacked trickery might give you a reasonable simulation, but it would be dicey), so you'd have to do some careful design/theming. I don't know of any actual examples of this use, though.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

THT Map12

Never gonna play that again.

Well that map uses silent teleporters to spawn enemies.

Another is CC2 Map23

Speed of Doom map 12 has a very subtle transition to the underground area simulating that it's right below from the towers, you don't notice unless you're checking the automap, though you can deduce by the size of said area that's not possible (in boom) to have floors over floors like in real life buildings.

Similar in Mayhem 2013 map 02, except it wants to simulate you're actually going up floors. 

Examples are many, that the player actively goes through them I can think of the two examples above at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Silent teleporters are theoretically possible in vanilla with just a little graphic and sound replacement (or, more precisely, blanking/silencing). (...) I don't know of any actual examples of this use, though.

Zombies TC

The old Goldeneye Doom used silent/invisible teleporters and I think it was vanilla compat. It was usually used for entering small buildings that led underground on that level that’s a wide open snowy field.

14 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Silent teleporters are theoretically possible in vanilla with just a little graphic and sound replacement (or, more precisely, blanking/silencing). They'd be much jankier than the Boom equivalent, since they wouldn't adjust for the angle at which you entered the teleport. But it could probably work decently in some specific situations, especially for, say, a spot that you have to jump to reach or which was in a dark or already disorienting space.

Batman Doom used these (in MAP19: Battergate, if I recall) to simulate you entering buildings from the rooftop entrance. On the rooftop, you enter a completely dark (0 brightness) hallway, with small blinking arrows on the walls being the only thing visible, and a silent teleporter carries you into an identical dark hallway connected to the "inside" section of the building. Thanks to the total darkness and disorientation, the transit between the two areas appears quite seamless.