Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Blood is underrated AF

2 hours ago, damned said:

I don't think Blood is underrated, but Blood II definitely is! I played this game many years back and I still remember plenty of interesting moments.

Well Blood 2 was really annoying due to spiders and hands that could jump on your face and you have to get rid of them with pressing space.

And there were literally everywhere in the game. 

48 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

There's one thing about Blood that has been putting me off, and that is the artwork style. I never got into this weird, anachronistic setting the game presents - of the early shooters the one I preferred most were those who tried a bit more realism in their map design, like Redneck Rampage - that game still looks good today and not nearly as dated as all the rest, including Doom and Duke Nukem.

If u like realism in map design, I recommend trying out Ion Fury if u haven't already. The level design is out of this world. The maps not only look good and believeable, but also are cleverly designed in terms of combat and variety of secrets.

45 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The only reason I never played it back then was the legal situation here in Germany - this was one of the games that was totally impossible to purchase and it took years until I managed to get hold of it, unfortunately then it was too late - I was already on Windows XP and this game still ran on DOS - quite unappealing.

That's interesting to hear, as from my recollection it was available in the right shops (I'm not talking about bootleg vendors or the black market); We had at least one regular mid-sized computer game shop in my city where they had one steel shelf with locked screen doors that had all the "indexed" games in it. Apparently, that was their way of complying with the "can't be advertised or sold openly" requirement. I purchased Blood as well as Quake 2 there.

4 hours ago, seed said:

FS had the chance to be the best version of Blood, but it was rushed out the door and they never had the time to properly fix it, so it ended up as average at best unfortunately.

Any sources for this? I couldn't find anything on Steam forums.

6 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Any sources for this? I couldn't find anything on Steam forums.

Source for what? How it was rushed?

Well that could easily be seen on the sheer numbers of bugs that were present in the game at launch, and others that still remain because they were never fixed.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

There's one thing about Blood that has been putting me off, and that is the artwork style. I never got into this weird, anachronistic setting the game presents - of the early shooters the one I preferred most were those who tried a bit more realism in their map design, like Redneck Rampage - that game still looks good today and not nearly as dated as all the rest, including Doom and Duke Nukem.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus among some fans based on what I've seen. Duke and SW had a style that was generally more appealing to people than the horror theme Blood was going for (though those had others aspects that might be off-putting). I too kinda prefer the style of those games over some parts of Blood, but that's where I draw the line, gameplay wise SW and especially Blood are vastly superior to Duke imo, and have an arsenal that's much more fun to use.

E: Is Redneck even a good game by the way? The general consensus, based on the discussions I've had with some folks who know the game, is that it's not good.

Edited by seed

29 minutes ago, seed said:

Source for what? How it was rushed?

Well that could easily be seen on the sheer numbers of bugs that were present in the game at launch, and others that still remain because they were never fixed.

Sorry, wrong quote (I was on mobile), should have been this.

4 hours ago, seed said:

NDS did not buy the franchise, they just reached an agreement with Atari who allowed them to do a remaster. They also had to return it a while ago, so basically FS is officially dead. Based on what I've seen on Duke4, Kaiser allegedly said we're better off using NBlood at this point, if it's true, it's quite telling.

4 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Sorry, wrong quote (I was on mobile), should have been this.

Oh, well alright then:

For the first part (NDS not owning the IP), I don't have any links at hand (and Google doesn't like cooperating with me either... ), but the fact that they had to return the product to Atari proves this anyway (this was first mentioned in the last patch notes when Daniel told the players to direct bug reports to Atari).

For the second point (Kaiser allegedly recommending people to move on), I found this bit of info, along with some reasons for why FS was so weird compared to vanilla and the 2 fan ports, in a topic on the Duke4 forums from people who frequented the KEX Discord.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus among some fans based on what I've seen. Duke and SW had a style that was generally more appealing to people than the horror theme Blood was going for (though those had others aspects that might be off-putting). I too kinda prefer the style of those games over some parts of Blood, but that's where I draw the line, gameplay wise SW and especially Blood are vastly superior to Duke imo, and have an arsenal that's much more fun to use.

E: Is Redneck even a good game by the way? The general consensus, based on the discussions I've had with some folks who know the game, is that it's not good.

It's one of the worst FPS games I've ever played. It's buggy, the hit detection is shit, the weapons suck, the enemies are annoying, and the level design is terrible. The humor is also really tasteless, though that's purely subjective. It has no redeeming qualities. Abysmal game. 

8 hours ago, Matthias said:

I wouldn't say it's underrated. I think Duke Nukem 3D+Blood+Shadow Warrior are three best build games. Not only in my book, but in general many people seem to see it that way.

Redneck Rampage really needs more love...

Definitely not underrated, just no "love" from the developers, unlike Duke (that basically ended up in a storage room in the end) and Shadow Warrior.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:45 PM, Graf Zahl said:

Actually, no, it isn't.

GZDoom is about editing features - BuildGDX is merely 5 game engines using the same Build backend in parallel, and the single games are rather basic feature wise. The Blood port in BuildGDX is clearly the most advanced, though.

Sorry Graf. I was being very general in a quick post and was looking at it from a 'play this old game in high res on windows with 3D GL Quake like improvements looking better than ever' gameplay similarity viewpoint and not really looking at design philosophies and extra features. GZDoom is obviously a way bigger, more advanced and complicated beast that totally took Doom editing & modding to another level! One that I very much enjoyed using for my Star Trek and Quest for Glory GZDoom mods.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:30 AM, Graf Zahl said:

Indeed it does. I love all the Build engine games.

I like Redneck Rampage for what it is, arguably the strongest things are its level design, texture quality and atmosphere. I find some levels genuinely moodier and creepier than those found in Blood.

E: But I mean, of course the level design's good, one of the major mappers for it was our very own @Soundblock!

4 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

arguably the strongest things are its level design, texture quality and moodiness.

Fixed. The level design in RR is not good at all.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, Graf Zahl said:

Well I've never liked it, but I could give it another change :)