Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Game Obsessions You Don't Understand

47 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Please tell me how the "rebalancing" updates in 2017 have in any way damaged the game. I am beyond fascinated to hear what you have to say.

I've got nothing else to add there since I haven't touched the game in years, nor do I intend to do so at any point in the future, nor even for one second.

Those rebalances you mentioned, apart from the .357 (yeah, that thing was OP as fuck, there's little doubt there), nerfed other weapons like the UMP, Fiveseven, and Tec-9 too much, or changed them in such a way that they weren't fun to use anymore (for me at least; highly subjective topic). The new Negev was also an OP weapon when used correctly. You can argue that I lacked the skill to use some of the weapons efficiently here, and that's perfectly fine. The hitreg/hitboxes were also obnoxious, don't even want to think about those instances where my shots went straight through enemies close to me...

Yeah, the beta most definitely had its issues and also an inconsistent style with placeholders galore from CS:S, but I never had as much fun as I had with it afterwards. After the full release, it maybe got 1 or 2 more modes that were fun (Arms Race was basically gungame, and that was neat). As about Battle Royale, what I meant there was that it was an obvious desperate attempt at keeping the game alive, face it, there's only so much you can do to milk a game before it eventually dies. They literally added a new mode to a game that was not designed for it in the first place, and nobody asked for. You might not be forced to play it, but that isn't my point.

Sure, some of my problems with the game are more subjective rather than objective flaws in its design, but I just don't see it as a good game anymore. And I'm not its target audience anymore (if I ever was in the first place), and that's okay, there's reasons why I quit playing MP games after all. Now I only wonder whether your post was meant to be an attack though, that's kinda how I perceived it when I wrote this.

I don't think the Negev was ever viable, honestly. Unlike the AK47, it's never been able to kill an opponent with a single headshot to an armored opponent and is wildly inaccurate. I know it has a small percentage of defenders, but I always saw it as something to mess around with when you're way ahead of the other team and have money to burn, but even then you're probably better off with an auto sniper. 

Arms Race was great until they introduced the team leader mechanic. What a stupid idea. 

10 hours ago, Maser said:

For me it was Undertale.

Funnily enough I also didn't get Undertale. I played it when it first game out, and thought it was a rather tedious 8-bit dungeon crawler with poorly written jokes. Gave up after a few hours and forgot all about it. Then some time later I find out it's this big phenomenon. I probably need to play it again because I've clearly missed something. 

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

The game that I failed to comprehend the fandom for was Five Nights At Freddy's. 

My theory for why Five Nights At Freddy's was popular is because it was basically a Creepy Pasta. Same reason Slenderman was popular. It had more legs than most creepy pastas because the story kept getting bigger with every game release, so there was always more content for kids to talk about. But it wasn't really about the game at all, it was a good ghost story with enough creepy-pasta intrigue to encourage debate.

Undertale is one of my favorite games of all time. It deserves its popularity.

Anyways, I understand the appeal behind everything already mentioned here but I don't understand the appeal behind people who behave like this. I know it's just a younger generation thing, but even if I were still 17 or even 12, I'd still find this sort of behavior pathetic. 

Edited by Ajora

3 hours ago, DSC said:

Why are you talking like CS:GO is a bad game?

Well no, there is no such a thing as a bad game, or bad anything. If someone likes it, then it's okay.

I just don't understand why some people are so much online-oriented... Actually I would understand it... What I don't understand why MOST OF GAMERS are online-game oriented. I mean - outside of social bubble of retrogamers... Whenever I meet someone who is a gamer, he usually plays CS;GO, LOL, WOW, WOT and all these MMORPG...

I tried World of Tanks couple of times, but it's over and over the same. I realized it's boring for me. I need a game that has its beginning and its end. End like... you beat that game, finish it, see credits and feel like "another game I completed!", not like thousands battles against other tanks in an arena.

45 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I just don't understand why some people are so much online-oriented... Actually I would understand it... What I don't understand why MOST OF GAMERS are online-game oriented. I mean - outside of social bubble of retrogamers... Whenever I meet someone who is a gamer, he usually plays CS;GO, LOL, WOW, WOT and all these MMORPG...

Count me here chief, now that you brought it up I think this would lie at the core of some of my issues regarding gaming.

Literally every single person I have interacted with in real life until now is MP-oriented, it's almost like SP is an alien notion to them, or they're afraid to play them because they don't want to be perceived as "filthy casuals" (oh yes, those people most certainly do exist). And don't even get me started on retro games, those tend to either be seen as outright "silly", or I get an answer to the effect of "But why are you playing this, is your PC not powerful enough for new games?"

-_-.

7 minutes ago, seed said:

Count me here chief, now that you brought it up I think this would lie at the core of some of my issues regarding gaming.

Literally every single person I have interacted with in real life until now is MP-oriented, it's almost like SP is an alien notion to them, or they're afraid to play them because they don't want to be perceived as "filthy casuals" (oh yes, those people most certainly do exist). And don't even get me started on retro games, those tend to either be seen as outright "silly", or I get an answer to the effect of "But why are you playing this, is your PC not powerful enough for new games?"

-_-.

From somebody else's opinion, basically what I got from playing Doom is that why I would play this pixelated garbage on my computer. Also, what I got from speedrunning Pokemon Yellow is that why I would I wasted so much time on something that doesn't really benefit me.

League of Legends. All I see are assholes screaming at each other while incessantly clicking, clicking, clicking their mice away. My roommate is obsessed with this game and is one of those annoying assholes who screams at his computer and while playing this game. He will also slam his keyboard if things don't go his way while playing this game.

Do you remember temper tantrums of user Ninja playing Fortnite Battle Royale? And he was behaving mad when he keep loosing in this game like being addicted.

4 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

No. I don't know who Ninja is. Is he some kind of weeb?

Probably the most well-known Fornite streamer in the world. I don't like his videos, persona or Fornite, but he's a decent singer.

1 hour ago, Lizardcommando said:

League of Legends. All I see are assholes screaming at each other while incessantly clicking, clicking, clicking their mice away. My roommate is obsessed with this game and is one of those annoying assholes who screams at his computer and while playing this game. He will also slam his keyboard if things don't go his way while playing this game.

as a league of legends player, i can say: is true

i like league of legends, because for me It is competitive and you can play with friends something that nobody has tried, Every game is different, I feel like a football

now a game obsession: The battle royales, i cant feel the competitive, it's just to wait for good things , and to see the others players first

I don't get how people can have a single iota of understanding of what game development is, and still get bent out of shape when games are delayed in order to get that extra layer of polish.

8 hours ago, Matthias said:

It motivates you to actually walk, which is something you can do while you playing videogames.

I thought that wasn't always the point of Video Games? I thought they were made to send you to new worlds without ever leaving your home

3 hours ago, Matthias said:

Whenever I meet someone who is a gamer, he usually plays CS;GO, LOL, WOW, WOT and all these MMORPG...

I tried World of Tanks couple of times, but it's over and over the same. I realized it's boring for me. I need a game that has its beginning and its end. End like... you beat that game, finish it, see credits and feel like "another game I completed!", not like thousands battles against other tanks in an arena.

That's the allure of online multiplayer: you're always gonna find good players who don't play like the computer or other players. It keeps things interesting and engaging. It's not for me, though. I get way too tilted losing, and that's before the trash talking.

I've never understood turn-based rpgs a la early Final Fantasy. Your party stands in an open field against your enemies and take turns using a menu system to direct attacks, spells and what not. Even with pretty effects, I just don't get that appeal.

This is more about the triple-A industry than the games.

Spoiler

It seems greed has impaled it from asshole to mouth with its blood diamond-encrusted dick. Multiple special editions and preorder bonuses. "Micro"transactions that are forced into many games (especially premium games) and manipulative psychological tricks designed to hook people in and keep them spending. Ridiculous work weeks and endless crunch that burn out employees and leave them mentally shattered. Record profits in the billions, yet they lay off hundreds of employees anyway. Funneling said billions into off-shore tax havens to just sit there instead of paying even a single cent in their home countries. Jim Sterling is right: They don't want to just make a lot of money, they want to take ALL of the money now and in the foreseeable future with "live services", "surprise mechanics", "recurrent user spending" and other industry buzzwords, for themselves and their investors' insatiable, unsustainable and short-sighted demand. And now this whole shit situation with Activision-Blizzard defending their chicom cash stream. Activision itself is the prime example of becoming worse than the very thing they sought to get away from.

I never really liked RPGs, especially the turn-based ones. I was only able to beat hybrid RPGs like the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion and Skyrim, I found Morrowind to be too overwhelming for my simple mind)

Since I've grown up with a PC and MS-DOS games instead of the NES, I could never really understand the Americans' obsession with Zelda and Mario and Contra and all that. To be frank, the only NES game I've truly enjoyed was River City Ransom. As for the other NES "classics"... well, I tried to play them, and my impression... well, "I guess I had to be there".

Super Mario Bros. especially.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, best game ever, immortal classic, etc., but it don't change the fact that I've tried playing the game and found it more frustrating than fun. The controls feel awfully slippery; it's like Mario slides on ice whenever he walks or jumps, and it's damn near impossible to land precisely. (I do like the high variety of the levels, though.) What's bizarre is that I've seen this game touted many times as the epitome of perfect jump physics... it's like we've been playing completely different games.

Edited by JudgeDeadd

Battle Royal has never struck me as particularly interesting. I understand the appeal, I think I may be just a bit too impatient. I prefer quick rounds as opposed to huge battle arenas. Things like Rainbow Six: Siege and Counter Strike strike my fancy (haha) because there are many quick little bursts of combat in enclosed spaces. This is also why Unreal Tournament Deathmatch is fun as well (never really cared for the Onslaught or Assault modes). Its more a me problem. 

19 hours ago, Maser said:

As the title says, what video game or games have you seen people obsess over, but you just don't get what the big deal is all about?

Personally speaking, I don't get why people obsess over Doom.  [/dead pan]

- Indie devs who insist in living in the past to the point of making games with dated graphics. I'm not asking for ultra HD 4K kind of stuff. I just want something truly original, or at least something really different.

- RPG games with the same old medieval fantasy theme. Why is it so difficult to make a RPG with a different theme?

- Why most racing games don't have an option to use your own MP3 songs? I don't want to listen to that bland indie rock or this crappy hip-hop/trap noise. I'd rather roll the streets on a tricked-out Honda/Acura, listening to some j-pop or industrial rock.

- Games that insist on showing some kind of disclaimer every time you start it up. I don't have ADD and i can tell reality from fiction, so take this "do not attempt x or y or whatever", disclaimer and shove it where the sun don't shine.

35 minutes ago, Nekr0s1s said:

- Games that insist on showing some kind of disclaimer every time you start it up. I don't have ADD and i can tell reality from fiction, so take this "do not attempt x or y or whatever", disclaimer and shove it where the sun don't shine.

It's probably a legal thing.

Console players' obsession with their exclusives, or PC's with their precious 4K 60+ FPS.  just makes them look like stupid children fighting over who has better toys.

14 hours ago, unerxai said:

I can sort of see the appeal in most games even if I don't like them, but one genre of games I will never get are the "clicker" games. Why people play those is way beyond my mind.

Hey! Cookies aren't going to click themselves, you know.

3 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Console players' obsession with their exclusives, or PC's with their precious 4K 60+ FPS.  just makes them look like stupid children fighting over who has better toys.

+1.

8 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Since I've grown up with a PC and MS-DOS games instead of the NES, I could never really understand the Americans' obsession with Zelda and Mario and Contra and all that. To be frank, the only NES game I've truly enjoyed was River City Ransom. As for the other NES "classics"... well, I tried to play them, and my impression... well, "I guess I had to be there".

I've grown up with NES clone systems and thus TONS of NES games, and I have to agree here too. I mean sure, I played Mario and Contra in particular and they were pretty good and fun to play, but just like Pokemon, I still don't get how they've become so popular and what exactly people find so appealing. Is it the characters, is it the music, is it the visual design and theme? Maybe all of these and more, but I dunno...

@seed They're also easy to jump into, put together well, creative and fun. They also have recognition in the gaming space due to their history and impact on early players worldwide, they're most of our childhood from that timeline.

2 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@seed They're also easy to jump into, put together well, creative and fun.

That's pretty much how most NES games are though, easy to play, hard to master :p.

The need to make videos about how much a game sucks. You're really going to spend hours of your life on a game that you can walk away from?

They must be pretty obsessive to go through the process to record footage, edit footage, buy good equipment to rant about how much bad something is? Then they feel to justify the cost and time sink fallacy, they need to keep doing it until 5 years later they have to mention how depressed they are.

Edited by geo

On 10/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, geo said:

The need to make videos about how much a game sucks.

Wasn't there a game from Epic that was about how Call of Duty sucks?

edit: I misreaed your post as "They need to make videogames about how much a game sucks."

Edited by Tetzlaff