Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tetzlaff

When Doom looks more cartoony than Serious Sam...

If it was more cartoony than Sam 2, then there might be a problem. But from what I understand, BFE was the one that wasn't cartoony enough, so it's not really a fair comparison. And the only thing that really seems that cartoony about the mancubus is the bright, vibrant colors that most shooters are so afraid of.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

If it was more cartoony than Sam 2, then there might be a problem.

If this trend continues, the successor of Doom Eternal will be as cartoony as Serious Sam 2...

But from what I understand, BFE was the one that wasn't cartoony enough, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Yes, to be fair BFE was considerably less cartoony. But it's still a Serious Sam game and now Doom looks sillier.

44 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Yes, to be fair BFE was considerably less cartoony. But it's still a Serious Sam game and now Doom looks sillier.

Well, Serious Sam was heavily inspired by Doom. Now Doom is inspired by Serious Sam. Seems fair to me. :D

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

If it was more cartoony than Sam 2, then there might be a problem. But from what I understand, BFE was the one that wasn't cartoony enough, so it's not really a fair comparison. And the only thing that really seems that cartoony about the mancubus is the bright, vibrant colors that most shooters are so afraid of.

Which is why Amid Evil stands out so much to me

While some of that may be true...

A bigger question is, why does the Scrapback look so much like the Mancubus?

1 hour ago, Loud Silence said:

Well, Serious Sam was heavily inspired by Doom. Now Doom is inspired by Serious Sam. Seems fair to me. :D

As long as they don't start making it impossible to backtrack and lock you in rooms with hopping frogs, have floaty pillows with faces and have suicide bombers going aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'll take the cartoony look.

Doom 2 is probably the most cartoony video game FPS I know, after Wolf 3D. Because, it have at least 70% of all sprites drawn from scratch, and that's a cartoon. Hell, even doomguy's face is 100% cartoon. Is Doom 2 is a bad game now? I guess Wolf 3D is the worst game ever existed then lol.

I don't care how cartoony the game is, all care if they give fun enough gameplay, big enough variety of guns, and enemies that aren't just walking around targets with signs placed on them saying "I'm just an another useless harmless NPC, shoot me lol idk". Speaking about the enemies, I really got disappointed watching an early Doom Eternal trailer. Most enemies, especially mancubus, are just like walking around, doing their own business, being 100% innocent, and doomguy is just slaughtering through them all even though they didn't even shown a sign of threat or violence. I hope in the final product these guys aren't just look "scary", or well, actually, just ugly, but actually trying their hardest to win. After all, their own life is on threat, and you would be full of adrenaline just to avoid of being killed.

Horrible. Where all the blood? Why it's evaporates instantly? Why pieces of flesh looks like shit? WHY you reduce it? You want blondes to play DOOM? Or 6 years old kids? It doesn't happens! DOOM Eternal looks ABSOLUTELY plastic. Non violent, chip.
New RAGE was shit. All this extra colors didn't help, just annoyed. And you still going this direction..
DOOM lost its balls completely.

I played DOOM 2016 with disabled hud, this is only way to make it a bit more realistic. And low brightness, anything just not to see this levitating toxic green ammo boxes.

DOOM Ethernal.jpg

59 minutes ago, x-Doping said:

Horrible. Where all the blood? Why it's evaporates instantly? Why pieces of flesh looks like shit? WHY you reduce it? You want blondes to play DOOM? Or 6 years old kids? It doesn't happens! DOOM Eternal looks ABSOLUTELY plastic. Non violent, chip.
New RAGE was shit. All this extra colors didn't help, just annoyed. And you still going this direction..

I played DOOM 2016 with disabled hud, this is only way to make it a bit more realistic. And low brightness, anything just not to see this levitating toxic green ammo boxes.

If you want a more realistic Doom experience you're best sticking to Doom 3 :)

1 hour ago, x-Doping said:

DOOM Ethernal.jpg

Not every doom is objectively better the moment you make it in to a Brutal Doom, bruh.

Ironically, the moment when you give the doom a lots of overwhelming unnecessary non-realistic gore is when you attract the most of 6 years old kids. I bet the fans and more elderly players would rather value the gameplay instead.

1 hour ago, x-Doping said:

WHY you reduce it? You want blondes to play DOOM?

LOL this made me laugh my ass off, I don't know why

2 hours ago, Komenja said:

But the Scrapjack is adorable. Have you seen his perfectly fitting pants and booties

I love this shit

No it isn't it just has more vibrant colours. Plus  Serious Sam Bfe tooned down the  colour to be a more serious game and made the enemy models more realistic then serious-sammy. Serious Sam is way more Cartoony then Doom could ever be.

8 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Because of his friendly smile?

It's not smiling but there's also no aggression coming from it, it just looks like an inert piece of machinery. The Mancubus appears way more spirited to me >:)

I think he meant more the textures and proportions?

i still don't really mind how the game looks but the solution could always come in the form of a few tweaks instead of a big change.

We've had fanart of classic Doom monsters that made them look scarier, without changing their designs too much.

Their proportions are basically the same and the Scrapjack has dark drawn-on shirt creases. I could imagine the mancubus easily blending into it's background because it doesn't look like it has outlines.