Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

AV MAP 20

Alien Vendetta MAP 20, Misri Halek, is no stranger to most of you. In fact, it was the level in the first spot on this site's Top Ten Most Memorable Maps. That being said, I am playing it right now and I noticed part of the level was missing. I later found out it was to allow speedrunners to record demos, or something like that. Anyways, the only thing I want now is just to know: how do I get the rest of the level back?

When downloading Alien Vendetta you should have had a zip containing av.wad and avmovfix.wad, the later replaces map20 for demo recording so just play av.wad to have the complet map.

41 minutes ago, Pierrot said:

When downloading Alien Vendetta you should have had a zip containing av.wad and avmovfix.wad, the later replaces map20 for demo recording so just play av.wad to have the complet map.

Thanks! I did end up figuring this out, though, but unfortunately, now I cannot use my avmovfix.wad save file with the original av.wad...

EDIT: Ended up making a separate thread to ask how to resolve this problem.

Edited by DSC

On 10/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, Pierrot said:

To clarify: if you want to record a D2ALL compatible with the vanilla exe. The existing D2ALLs are even recorded with ports that don't force the old maxdemo limitation. So it's truly a niche file that at this point is way more likely to be loaded by accident than with proper intent. Unfortunate, but a good argument in favor of reading first. 

For ANY mod, mapset, or anything else, ALWAYS read the readme first! They will usually tell you useful information, like what each wad does, load order, complevels, etc. It can help prevent mistakes like this one, and sometimes gives neat information about the levels themselves. For example, Alien Vendetta's readme contains author comments for every level, which is a cool thing to check out, especially after a playthrough. In other cases *cough* Deus Vult II *cough*, the author will include their entire autobiography, which is cool, but a little excessive...