Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

SINERGY - A Vanilla Ultimate Doom Megawad - Now on idgames!

Almost finished (now on E4M4) and can't wait to say, how awesome this mapset is. Really good oldschool gameplay and polished maps. I got really, really stuck two times so far and had to cheat my way to the exit or the next map, which is a pity. It's probably just my stupidity, though. I really enjoy the fights so far, although I am playing on HMP and am considering trying one of the lower difficulties. xD

Really really good work, among the top WADs this year, especially considering the quality output so far (Deathless, Lunar Catastrophe, etc.)

51 minutes ago, elend said:

Almost finished (now on E4M4) and can't wait to say, how awesome this mapset is. Really good oldschool gameplay and polished maps. I got really, really stuck two times so far and had to cheat my way to the exit or the next map, which is a pity. It's probably just my stupidity, though. I really enjoy the fights so far, although I am playing on HMP and am considering trying one of the lower difficulties. xD

Really really good work, among the top WADs this year, especially considering the quality output so far (Deathless, Lunar Catastrophe, etc.)

Hey man thank you so much I really appreciate it. If you have any criticisms feel free to be vocal about it as it all helps with my future maps. Otherwise im glad you have had fun and hope the rest of the WAD lives up to the hype! Cheers!

A couple maps into E2. Love this! I did find this bug in E1M7, where you can scoot past the left of the yellow bars super easy:

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_202821.png

8 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

A couple maps into E2. Love this! I did find this bug in E1M7, where you can scoot past the left of the yellow bars super easy:

Theres a couple of things I may have missed that speedrunners might take advantage of. And thats okay. Thanks for the feedback!

12 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_202821.png

Now that you mentioned this I think this is worth a try and did this:

3 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Theres a couple of things I may have missed that speedrunners might take advantage of. And thats okay. Thanks for the feedback!

That's fine and thanks for this good wad :)

I mean, I'm no speedrunner; I just saw that gap by the bars and thought it looked awfully large, so I said Why not? and sure enough I was able to just waltz on through, no special skill required.

7 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I mean, I'm no speedrunner; I just saw that gap by the bars and thought it looked awfully large, so I said Why not? and sure enough I was able to just waltz on through, no special skill required.

That's the point :)

7 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Too late to fix now anyway. So ah well haha.

10 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

That's the point :)

Im such a sucker for speedruns. Theres actually a fair few skips I left in the wad. The best one being e2m7 imo

*edit* e2m7 not m8...

Edited by Crunchynut44

I have started a second playthrough, this time in "Crispy Doom mode" (GZDoom in 640x400, software renderer with vanilla-style settings) and OPL MIDI synthesis. It's a completely different experience. Total retro feeling, much more immersive than in the sterile 1920x1080 resolution with brightmaps and all kinds of eye-candy activated. 

Play it like this: Raw, pixelated, unmodded, low-res. You'll feel like playing Doom again for the first time. It's amazing.

Edited by NightFright

Just finished the map set on continuous UV. Absolutely one of the best mega wads I've played. I really meant to take down notes on the levels that stood out to me, but I just couldn't stop playing. Never a dull moment. Difficulty was fair. Harder than the original but not something ridiculous. The level design was top notch. Teleported stands out as a great one, as does E4M7. E4 was probably my favorite, followed by E3. I especially loved all of the secret levels. They were always a ridiculous treat.  

Thanks so much for sharing! 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:52 AM, NightFright said:

I have started a second playthrough, this time in "Crispy Doom mode" (GZDoom in 640x400, software renderer with vanilla-style settings) and OPL MIDI synthesis. It's a completely different experience. Total retro feeling, much more immersive than in the sterile 1920x1080 resolution with brightmaps and all kinds of eye-candy activated. 

Play it like this: Raw, pixelated, unmodded, low-res. You'll feel like playing Doom again for the first time. It's amazing.

Hey mate thanks for the feedback im glad I could spark a bit of nostalgia as that was the goal of the wad. I hope you play it again one day and discover even more you may have missed!

8 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

Just finished the map set on continuous UV. Absolutely one of the best mega wads I've played. I really meant to take down notes on the levels that stood out to me, but I just couldn't stop playing. Never a dull moment. Difficulty was fair. Harder than the original but not something ridiculous. The level design was top notch. Teleported stands out as a great one, as does E4M7. E4 was probably my favorite, followed by E3. I especially loved all of the secret levels. They were always a ridiculous treat.  

Thanks so much for sharing! 

Thankyou so much it means a lot to me. Glad you had fun! Looking forward to any kind of feedback you may have for me in the future. Cheers!

Finished this last night on GZDoom/HMP/continuous. Awesome stuff. E1 was fine. E2 was a lot more memorable, and E3-E4 were crazy. I'll cop to having to resort to IDDT to puzzle out "Teleported". And I never did figure out how to get the secret yellow key in E2M5, so I ended up just IDCLIP-ing up to it. One of my favorites was "Military Boneyard" or something like that, I think in E3, very very cool. I'll agree with kknot about E4M7 also being a standout.

I did find the E4 finale fairly anticlimactic; it looked crazy intimidating, but it was a piece of HMP-cake to just grab the 3 keys, BFG the Mastermind, and book it to/stumble across the exit tunnel. I think I BFGed a cyber and a horde of pinkies on my way out, but that was it. I was even game to head back down and try to max it, but the path back had been sealed up. I will say that the ending chapel was really neat, and the exit switch cleverly done.

Kudos for another great megawad! Looking forward to the next one. :)

15 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Finished this last night on GZDoom/HMP/continuous. Awesome stuff. E1 was fine. E2 was a lot more memorable, and E3-E4 were crazy. I'll cop to having to resort to IDDT to puzzle out "Teleported". And I never did figure out how to get the secret yellow key in E2M5, so I ended up just IDCLIP-ing up to it. One of my favorites was "Military Boneyard" or something like that, I think in E3, very very cool. I'll agree with kknot about E4M7 also being a standout.

I did find the E4 finale fairly anticlimactic; it looked crazy intimidating, but it was a piece of HMP-cake to just grab the 3 keys, BFG the Mastermind, and book it to/stumble across the exit tunnel. I think I BFGed a cyber and a horde of pinkies on my way out, but that was it. I was even game to head back down and try to max it, but the path back had been sealed up. I will say that the ending chapel was really neat, and the exit switch cleverly done.

Kudos for another great megawad! Looking forward to the next one. :)

Thankyou for all the detailed feedback man! Really appreciate it. A few people have said that about e4m8, so thats a bit of a learning experience for the next WAD. Also Military Boneyard is e2m7, and its one of my favourites as well.

Thanks again Salt-man!

Hey, @Crunchynut44, i was creating a dehacked file for UDoom with whacked and i remmeber that you made SINERGY, a vanilla compatible megawad, so i exported the dehacked inside your wad and take a look at it, but i can't open it with whacked and, i don't know if anybody else mentioned this, but the dehacked file inside the .wad its not chocolate or vanilla compatible.

It crashes before even start.

Delete the M_DOOM lump, the true culprit, and enjoy, but do expect tutti-frutti artifacts and so on.

If you want that Chocolate Doom parses the embedded BEX patch, you need to use a text editor to add in the start the magic comment posted below, and use the -dehlump parameter to load the WAD.

# *allow-extended-strings*

8 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Delete the M_DOOM lump, the true culprit, and enjoy, but do expect tutti-frutti artifacts and so on.

If you want that Chocolate Doom parses the embedded BEX patch, you need to use a text editor to add in the start the magic comment posted below, and use the -dehlump parameter to load the WAD.

# *allow-extended-strings*

Thanks for the info, @Diabolución. Any clue why i can't open it with whacked4?

I wasn't intending to play through all of Episode 1 on my first time since I was using this to test the waters of streaming but I did it anyway. I did all of Episode 1! I enjoyed it very much. I sucked at finding secrets though. I played this on Crispy Doom, on UV in a semi-continuous playstyle so if I die, then I start from pistol start and if I beat the level, I keep going. I thought you might find it interesting. I start playing at 3:55, and sound is cut off until 6:00 because of copyright. Otherwise, I would've saved the video itself or been more prepared for the copyright stuff as it was my first stream. Thanks for the experience, looking forward to more!

Edited by UndeadRyker

On 11/8/2019 at 7:03 PM, UndeadRyker said:

I wasn't intending to play through all of Episode 1 on my first time since I was using this to test the waters of streaming but I did it anyway. I did all of Episode 1! I enjoyed it very much. I sucked at finding secrets though. I played this on Crispy Doom, on UV in a semi-continuous playstyle so if I die, then I start from pistol start and if I beat the level, I keep going. I thought you might find it interesting. I start playing at 3:55, and sound is cut off until 6:00 because of copyright. Otherwise, I would've saved the video itself or been more prepared for the copyright stuff as it was my first stream. Thanks for the experience, looking forward to more!

Thanks for the playthrough mate, as soon as I get a chance ill give your stream a whirl. Im glad you enjoyed it.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, Lila Feuer said:

I live and die for full 36-level replacements of Ultimate Doom, thank you.

You're most welcome :)

I just completed uvmax'ing all 36 maps in Sinergy. And what an exhilarating ride it was! It amazes me how many full megawads have been released this year for both udoom and doom2. @Crunchynut44 has raised the bar yet again on quality.

The first 2 episodes are fairly modest in terms of difficulty and I was able to pull of most of those maps on my first attempt, albeit playing cautiously and slowly and having to backtrack quite a bit to find the cleverly hidden secrets. Crunchynut44 pulls out all the stops in episodes 3-4, where the difficulty rises substantially and you can expect to be challenged.

One memorable moment for me was getting caught on e3m7 at the cybie fight, totally unprepared and without knowing about the invulnerability secret. With only shotgun, my marine ended up doing a tight circle strafe dance with cybie on a wooden platform without a lot of room to move. Facing an easy deep fall into lava on one side and rocket splash damage from the wooden wall on the other, things were pretty tense for a while. My marine managed to prevail, even after taking a rocket to the face that could easily have been fatal.

It took me a few tries to beat e4m9 since I did not know how to handle enemies past the first cybie. My eventual strategy involved just running past cybie and into the next area and taking the stairs, clearing the barons/cacos and taking the lift up to the end area to collect a badly needed megaarmor.

Finally e4m8 took 2 tries because I ran out of ammo in the final enemy wave due to wasting ammo killing the 3 cybies earlier. The second time I just ran for the keys and triggered the spider mastermind, killed him and initiated the final phase where I let the cybies and barons fight it out with much better results.

Many thanks @Crunchynut44 for a wonderful, full on ultimate doom experience!

yes! modern maps with all the bells and stuff are great and all... but there is still something to be said about good oldschool megawads...

I am working on my own oldschool megawad, but this will be for hexen, using only vanilla hexen resources such that even the original dos version of the game will be able to use it, levels like prison and quakeworld will be included (I am retexturing them with hexen textures... properly this time)

I might also try my hand at making a freedoom megawad that is game independent by creating all actors from new with ID numbers, skills and drops that can be shared by heretic, hexen and doom but uses graphics from freedoom or one where everything is custom 3d models... I have so many ideers for megawads :D

23 hours ago, tmorrow said:

I just completed uvmax'ing all 36 maps in Sinergy. And what an exhilarating ride it was! It amazes me how many full megawads have been released this year for both udoom and doom2. @Crunchynut44 has raised the bar yet again on quality.

Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate the playthrough and the feedback! If you recorded any demos feel free to send them over I would love to watch them. Thanks for playing!

18 hours ago, KickAss said:

Hallo,

plays as great as it looks! Good job @Crunchynut44! Works fine with GZDooM and the Brutal DooM 21 Gold mod. Realy worth checking out!

Thanks buddy! Im glad you liked it.

Played the first maps up to the first secret level. Very solid design, expecially the secret level! Can't wait to play it completely. I like the old-style design :-)