Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

On 10/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, AmethystViper said:

Thank you, though I noticed there's a bit of the Armor graphic is missing a piece/something doesn't look right on the lower right corner for the Armor counter for the HUD.

Well, I gotta break it to ya: That's the way it is in the unaltered STBAR lump in D4V. And just to make sure I checked Back to Saturn X, it looks exactly the same there. That small square in the bottom right corner is absolutely intended and 100% authentic. Stamp of approval, bam, done.

Having a little bit of trouble running this in ZDoom with Scythe. A few errors show up when it first loads but the game still starts and seems to run fine. Then it crashes once I complete Map 10 of Scythe.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, NightFright said:

Well, I gotta break it to ya: That's the way it is in the unaltered STBAR lump in D4V. And just to make sure I checked Back to Saturn X, it looks exactly the same there. That small square in the bottom right corner is absolutely intended and 100% authentic. Stamp of approval, bam, done.

Ah I see, thank you for the clarification.

23 hours ago, RedSwirl said:

Having a little bit of trouble running this in ZDoom with Scythe. A few errors show up when it first loads but the game still starts and seems to run fine. Then it crashes once I complete Map 10 of Scythe.

i get some warnings , no erros , and i can finish the level without any problem,  once everything explodes and you die the level finishes and i can start level 11, tested on zdoom 2.7.1 with scythe + fscythe + d4v +d4v "fist fix "

39 minutes ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

i get some warnings , no erros , and i can finish the level without any problem,  once everything explodes and you die the level finishes and i can start level 11, tested on zdoom 2.7.1 with scythe + fscythe + d4v +d4v "fist fix "

I'm using a later version of GZDoom (like 3.7-something) but not with those same things loaded. Guess I should try those.

30 minutes ago, RedSwirl said:

I'm using a later version of GZDoom (like 3.7-something) but not with those same things loaded. Guess I should try those.

fscythe.wad is the one you need , d4vf only fixes the the way the fists are displayed , if you drag and drop your pwads make sure to select scythe and fscythe , if you have your own menu using .bat files the line should look like this

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file scythe.wad fscythe.wad d4v.wad 

assuming you have all your wad files on the same folder 

I've tested it on gzdoom 4.2.0 

Oi, i think i've found why the maps 2m8, e3m8 softlock (at least on gzdoom):

Go to either map and use the console to spawn the map's boss and kill whatever you've just spawned, there, no more softlock.

I think the maps are hardcoded or something in a way that won't let the player advance until the cyber demon (in this mod replaced by cyber mancubus) on map e2m8 or the spider mastermind (ironically replaced with the cyberdemon) on map e3m8 die.

Edited by Mistah Jorge

Let me say first, kudos. Amazing job.

I return to playing Doom over summer where I had a computer but no Internet so I had to use what I have. Doom was on my hard drive. I played Chex Quest, then The Adventures of Square, and then HacX. I realised that while I like Doom’s mechanics, I am a bit worn out with classic view. Some sort of reskin was what I craved. And then I stumbled upon D4V. Exactly what I needed. It rebalanced the gameplay and made it more dynamic, albeit not unfair (and I’m saying this as someone who learns to play with gamepad, after years of keyboard plus mouse). Truly refreshing experience. Perhaps a gamechanger (if there would be a lot of D4V-in-mind maps).

Two things I don’t like:

1. Rather minor is CyberMancubi attack which makes it poor arachnotron replacement. It actually makes it easier opponent. While Baron of Hell has the same projectile, Baron himself is very fast so he makes up for it. CyberMancubi however, not. This won’t be a problem though with dedicated maps (Hell Razer is a good replacement of arachnotron and chaingunner at the same time).

2. I don’t understand why liquids were swapped they way they were. I did read on the previous pages that it came from Doom 2016 but adjusting it for Classic Doom would work better in my opinion. Melted metal (?) instead of toxic is fine, as it’s still industrial type of liquid (however, by the texture itself it should by default give a lot of damage, lava-like almost), but blood instead of water, and toxic instead of blood messes up with intended feeling. The strangest change is that Bloodfalls from Doom 2 become Toxicfalls. Also, a lot of Hell-themed maps use blood as a liquid, which will now become toxic waste. Kind of mood-breaker for me.

But apart from those two points, it’s just perfect.

[edit]

Also, this is a huge loss for me. I understand different colours for button but why this? I guess, it limits WAD to maps done with D4V in mind.

obraz.png.78b009272ff679d34b2c82300488c28e.png

obraz.png

Edited by Krazov : A new finding

21 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

fscythe.wad is the one you need , d4vf only fixes the the way the fists are displayed , if you drag and drop your pwads make sure to select scythe and fscythe , if you have your own menu using .bat files the line should look like this

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file scythe.wad fscythe.wad d4v.wad 

assuming you have all your wad files on the same folder 

I've tested it on gzdoom 4.2.0 

I use shortcuts with command line arguments but that worked, thanks.

I signed up just to say how amazing this mod is, I played through all 30 something maps!  The map with, uh, 1000s of enemies and BFG ammo everywhere was definitely my favorite, I am sad to say I had to use slayer mode to beat the finale though lol.

Amazing work, I'll be watching for more!

13 hours ago, Krazov said:

The strangest change is that Bloodfalls from Doom 2 become Toxicfalls. Also, a lot of Hell-themed maps use blood as a liquid, which will now become toxic waste. Kind of mood-breaker for me.

Sorry, but that's part of the experience :-(
I don't have plans to change it right now.

image.png.77f32dc0066d9ecb3c05b33afe9ffe59.png

On 10/10/2019 at 4:41 PM, RedSwirl said:

What version you're using? Be sure to get the latest one (v2.8.1).

On 10/11/2019 at 2:04 AM, chowbar said:

Yo @Noiser, quick question, this texture change is intentional right?

yup!

Edited by Noiser

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

!!! ATTENTION !!!
The VORTEX RIFLE uses a very gimmicky code to work and for that reason will not run on any port. 

It will work fine on Chocolate and Crispy Doom

1033632.jpg?b64lines=Tm93IHRoaXMsIEkKIGd

4 hours ago, Noiser said:

Sorry, but that's part of the experience :-(
I don't have plans to change it right now.

image.png.77f32dc0066d9ecb3c05b33afe9ffe59.png

That’s actually fine, as it inspired me to learn how to use Slade3 to remove content that I had problem with. I will make the subset I want. Also, as I understand, I can use—with the right credits—desired parts of this WAD to bundle it with levels I’d make (maybe I finish something this time).

Again, this WAD brought a refreshment to Doom. A refreshment I needed. Good job and if you have a vision, follow it.

WOW , this is really a HUGE upgrade to an already great MOD , by far the best gameplay mod created for doom , and the most important to me , vanilla compatible =) i'm super happy , thank you !! 

40 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Some spicy intercept overflow action I see.

Oh shit. Never happened to me, and I playtested it a lot.
I should be worried or this was very specific?

Edited by Noiser

No clue. I loaded it in Chocolate Doom and that's what happened. I wouldn't worry about it too much, when you are at the bleeding edge of vanilla modding sometimes shit happens.

Also because it seems relevant

I love this mod! I completed Episodes 1-3 on Nightmare running version 1.2 of this mod. Because of the Baron of Hell balance changes in version 2.0, I'll run through the maps again, but here are some things I noticed that weren't in the 2.0 changelog, maybe I missed a version, but anyway:

-The D4V cyberdemon lost his special attacks :( Now he just behaves like a normal cyberdemon (his in-game name is now "Cyber-mancubus")

-When I load D4V v2.0 in Crispy Doom, the D4V version of the Spidermastermind is there, but,

-when I load D4V v2.0 in GZDoom, the Spidermastermind becomes the "Balraag Cyberdemon", which is the old D4V cyberdemon with the special attacks.

-I personally preferred the pre-nerf crazy bat-shit-insane Baron of Hell. He is no good for single-segment attempts, but I'm not a speedrunner so I don't care. I already got used to saving the game before fighting them and having crazy insane fights with them. Their splash damage attack is their strength but also actually their weakness, since you can get them to infight with other demons that way, even other Barons of Hell.

-I appreciate the minigun nerf, it was pretty overpowered before

-I like giving the zombies a ranged attack! They were way to easy before.

-The zombies death sprites don't seem to be working. In both Crispy and GZDoom, they appear to be floating in the air, instead of lying dead on the ground

-Not sure how I feel about the pistol/shotgun nerfs. I don't think it hurt to have the pistol firing fast like in v1.2, it's not like you ever use the pistol anyway. The shotgun nerf I suppose had to happen

-I appreciate the rocket launcher buff. It definately felt weak before and I almost never used it. Even the minor ROF buff should make it way more useful in my runs.

I know you can't please everybody, but for me, the Cyberdemon and Baron of Hell nerfs kill it for me :(
I suppose the Baron nerf had to happen because of the player weapon nerfs. The minigun used to be fine at killing them, but with the minigun/shotgun nerfs, I imagine they are virtually impossible to deal with without rockets/plasma. I'd have to do some playtesting in my runs to say for sure

I'll end on a positive note, though, and that is that I love the texture changes, like changing the damaging floor textures, I think they look better. And I like the new belt-fed machine gun over the chaingun (it should not be called a "heavy assault rifle," though! assault rifles are not belt-fed! I'd prefer the name "General Purpose Machine Gun." It's a fictional weapon so what it is is up to you. Here is a video on the terminology and differences between light machinegun / medium machinegun / general purpose machinegun / heavy / etc. if you care https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aAXsJRzTM )

I personally love running this on Crispy Doom, as Crispy Doom is the only source port that lets you add vertical recoil! The screen shaking makes even the pistol feel mighty, and the jarring recoil when firing rockets makes the rocket launcher feel especially powerful, especially with the D4V rocket launcher sprite! You would think that all these fancy modern source ports would have that recoil option too...  Crispy Doom also has a unique crosshair option that makes the crosshair behave like a laser sight - it shines a dot on the wall that looks/behaves like a laser sight, and the dot locks on to enemies when you auto-aim!

I've been having so much fun playing D4V that I don't even play multiplayer games anymore, something that I NEVER thought would happen. I'm not a competitive speedrunner, so I like to come up with my own routes for each of the episodes. I play on Nightmare so my personal routes are all about maximizing my chances of completing the episode with 0 deaths, so sometimes I LEAVE a mega armor/soulsphere behind, and come back to it right before I exit the level, after I've already lost most of my armor/HP. I come up with my routes by watching world record nightmare-speed and nightmare-100s speedruns on youtube, playing both routes on a lower difficulty, deciding which secrets to take/leave, memorizing the routes with NoMo, then playing them on Nightmare :)

1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

-The D4V cyberdemon lost his special attacks :( Now he just behaves like a normal cyberdemon (his in-game name is now "Cyber-mancubus")

Oh shit I forgot to put the DEHACKED lump inside D4V.WAD again. You've been playing WITHOUT the deh file.
Please, download it again (I fixed it already) or load D4V.deh with the WAD.

TY for the fast response, I just downloaded the new, new version. I am very new to modding, and I'm having trouble with something and have no idea what's going on:

Earlier, when I was testing v2.0, the pistol and shotgun were firing much slower, so I thought they got nerfed. I'm assuming they were using the original Doom rate of fire.

Now, as I am testing v2.0, the pistol and shotgun are shooting much faster again. I have no idea if the slow rate of fire was a bug, or if the weapons did indeed get nerfed, either way, they are firing much faster than in the original Doom. I am running the game using a command line I made:

ports\crispy-doom -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_v1_21.wad D4V.WAD -nodeh -deh D4V.deh 4_HAR.deh

As I said, I forgot to put back the DEHACKED lump inside D4V.WAD, that's the reason why you experienced all these oddities - including what you think it was a "nerf" for the Baron.

I re-uploaded the zip file and everything should work as intended now.

1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

I personally love running this on Crispy Doom, as Crispy Doom is the only source port that lets you add vertical recoil!

Marine Best Friend (MBF) For MS-DOS has this option as well =) 

I dunno what that is, homie. Should I look into it? I'm still pretty new. I feel like no one sourceport has everything I want.

I want diminishing lighting. I noticed some of the original maps look like crap without the original Doom lighting - the most vivid example is Sigil's Episode 5 map 8 (I know this isn't technically an original map but that is where I noticed the flaw the most). Doom Retro and Crispy Doom accomplish this look the best in the sourceports I've tried so far.

I want vertical recoil, and only one I've found with it so far is Crispy.

I want full 1920x1080, instead of the 4:3 that Crispy Doom has. I know Doom Retro *almost* accomplishes full 1920x1080 with the same retro look by clever screen resizing, but Doom Retro lacks the vertical recoil.

I want the projected crosshair, or as I like to think of it, the laser sight. Crispy Doom is the only one so far that has the projected crosshair that also locks on to enemies to show you where the auto-aim is pointing.

You would THINK that full 1920x1080 resolution would be more important than adding a little screen-shake when you shoot your gun...

but after experiencing the vertical recoil in Crispy Doom, I literally cannot go back to anything else. I mean I will go back to GZDoom once I go back to running Brutal Doom+XVME, but only because I have to use GZDoom for that. I can use Zandronum too but the Brutal Doom flashlight does not work on Zandronum, and the flashlight is a must for me now when I play Brutal Doom. I can't see shit without it in dark areas like the dark sectors in E1M2. You would think this problem would be even WORSE in Crispy Doom but I think the laser sight + auto-aim make this a non-issue.