Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did you see it?  Did you like it?  Did you hate it?

I just saw it the other day with the woman.  I thought it was great, and actually is my favorite portrayal of the character to date.  My favorite Joker has always been Jack Nicholson in 1989s Batman, but Phoenix killed it here.  Arthur Fleck was truly unsettling and even believable as a real messed up individual, which made it even more unnerving.

Saw it, loved it, a more human take on the character that makes the watcher understand why he is what he is (more grounded in reality and less comic book-like), and a perfect illustration of the miserable parts of society.

It's too early to say whether he's going to be amazing as Joker though, because this movie is little more than an origin story, and 95% of the time the film explores his Arthur Fleck persona, which is a good choice, that's best left for sequels. Still, he was great so far, Joaquin was a very good choice.

I wonder though why they tied Joker so much to the Wayne family, in the most popular canon (as seen in the Batman 1989 and Killing Joke movies), he's completely unrelated to them.

I've heard speculation that the Joker in the film is not THE joker that faces off with Batman later in life; moreso that this may be some random guy who inspired the Joker we know of today.  A speculation that I am inclined to lean toward, honestly.

I really liked it! I appreciated that the film didn't insist on holding my hand through the story.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow, so I'm hoping to pick up on some more of the nuances. I've heard a theory going around that most of the story isn't actually even real and it's all just in Arthur's head. It's cool that there's a new movie that seems like folks will speculate over for the next few years.

It was great aside from the backstory involving the Wayne family. All of that stuff felt really out of place and was distracting. 

Edited by Ajora

Absolutely loved it. I will admit I went into is expecting it to be just dumb comic book fun, with DCs usual gritty for grittiness sake attitude. Which is fine, but what I got was even better, a compelling character study that's not afraid to point out the ugliest aspects of society. It does make heavy social commentary on economic disparity, alienation, the predatory media, and society's indifference towards mental illness and minorities. It's all done in good taste of course, it fits the themes of the story and does not feel patronizing or forced, otherwise I wouldn't be praising it.

I will say, the direction they took here was risky. Villains that are just completely insane being developed like this can ruin what makes the character good(Example, Rob Zombie's Halloween), but here I think it made the character of the Joker better, for me at least. However that might be down to my personal preference. I find stories to be more realistic when the hero x villain standards aren't black and white, but rather both of them are on different shades of gray. Although maybe the simplicity is the whole appeal of comic books in the first place? I don't know, I'm just rambling again, ech

Bottom Line, the movie is great, watch it if you haven't.

Great movie, don't believe the BS the digital media outlets that say it's "bad" or anything negative. It's a pretty good gritty thriller and a new perspective on the Joker character. It's more like reality, no fancy hero nonsense or hero in the plot.

11 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Great movie, don't believe the BS the digital media outlets that say it's "bad" or anything negative.

At this point you'd basically have to be stupid to still believe those, most DC movies released in the last couple of years were poorly received by "critics", with Wonder Woman (and I think Aquaman? I didn't check that one yet) as being one of the only exceptions.

Suicide Squad - Poor reception.

BvS - Poor reception.

Justice League - Poor reception.

And the list goes on. Just like with everything, it's best to see things for yourself and make up your own mind.

15 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Well, I mean, Suicide Squad and BvS were both horrendous. 

Even the actor who played Joker in Suicide Squad was upset about this new movie and possible recasting for a second role for Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker lol

13 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Well, I mean, Suicide Squad and BvS were both horrendous. 

I honestly enjoyed SS, BvS not so much... it only got interesting after one hour for me...

Just now, Armaetus said:

Even the actor who played Joker in Suicide Squad was upset lol

Ya, Jared Letho, he barely got any screen time, but I never liked his design anyway. I very much prefer Joaquin, Nicholson, and Ledger over him...

Jared Leto is a fine actor but as The Joker his character was loud, annoying, shallow and overacted. The only redeeming quality to Suicide Squad was Deadshot. 

8 minutes ago, seed said:

Ya, Jared Letho, he barely got any screen time, but I never liked his design anyway. I very much prefer Joaquin, Nicholson, and Ledger over him...

I hated SS's Joker design, it was awful from what I saw.

But if anything I liked in the Joker movie that stuck out to me, it was the subway scene, the chase scene (and prelude walk) that led to the subway again, the scene with his two former clown co-workers and the final scene leading to the credits.

If you haven't seen it, go see it while it's still in the box office.

Edited by Armaetus

32 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

I hated SS's Joker design, it was awful from what I saw.

But if anything I liked in the Joker movie that stuck out to me, it was the subway scene, the chase scene (and prelude walk) that led to the subway again, the scene with his two former clown co-workers and the final scene leading to the credits.

If you haven't seen it, go see it while it's still in the box office.

Already seen it, see above :p .

But yes, his design was horrible from my POV as well:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160825113938

55d370f32acae70f008c12aa?width=1100&form

Oh god why

34 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Jared Leto is a fine actor but as The Joker his character was loud, annoying, shallow and overacted. The only redeeming quality to Suicide Squad was Deadshot. 

Will Smith was a fine Deadshot indeed, but I don't think he was the only good thing in that movie. Maggie was a good Harley Queen too imo (and for once not obnoxious to hear... ).

Margot Robbie was okay but nothing special. She had the look down, but I feel like there's plenty of actresses who could have portrayed the character with a greater level of depth and complexity.