Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Doom Eternal Delayed(March 2020)

@massivefanofdoom IF you're FAN enough to overpay for game by pre-ordering it, then why couldn't you waste your time too by waiting? LOL

Friendly advice to everyone: just play Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and all WADs available for them (that's what i do). I wasn't interested in Doom 2016, Eternal and never will be. Money and nerves are safe.

18 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

Friendly advice to everyone: just play Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and all WADs available for them (that's what i do). I wasn't interested in Doom 2016, Eternal and never will be. Money and nerves are safe.

I'll play what I want to play.

28 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

I'll play what I want to play.

Am i against that? My advice was inspired by people like massivefanofdoom.

Fuck id for not somehow magically looking into the future months ago to see that they’d end up needing more time, I say as I preorder games and demand there be no delays which are both godawful practices. Nevermind the fact that consumers who behave like this are partly responsible for huge game companies treating their workers like dogshit, overworking them and under paying them just to meet moronic deadlines - I didn’t get to play the game on some random arbitrary day, therefore my enjoyment of it has been inexplicably reduced! Me having to wait for this particular piece of entertainment is the only factor here worth considering and I for some reason schedule my time around game releases. Send help!

edit: I don’t want it to seem like I’m dog piling on massivefanofdoom, he is not alone in what he says by any means. I’ve seen this kinda talk making the rounds elsewhere since the delay was announced a week or whatever ago.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, massivefanofdoom said:

Very unprofessional from id. I cant understand how a month away from release they postpone half a year further. Uncoordinated and unprofessional for sure. This is id we're talking about, very experienced team with games. And I SHOULD, as well as others, be disappointed and pissed. I preordered and got ce, and putting together a new pc, spent a lot when i was financially insecure and it seemed very limited, and now  it seems its everywhere, and preorder has a longer time window. And took a vacation and 2 weeks off work, like many others. Now i hear d64 is free with preorders, i hope its free with all preorders and not new ones only. I preordered the deluxe on steam.

And im sick of ppl saying 'Take as much time as you need id', hell no take only as much as necessary and hurry that sheesh up, free of bugs and in good condition. You committed to a nov release date back in june and a month away you change it? And who was that person on here who had a hunch of this quite a while ago? An insider perhaps?

I hope we dont get some internal struggle or development hell scenario and this game is effed as I will slit my wrists. I do not like that post only a month away from release, sounds too vague and somethings fishy...Duke nukem forever and doom eternal, the name jinxing continues.

PS Does anyone know if the CE artbook and 'Art of Doom eternal' are the same??

It's one thing to only be angry at a delay and another to have planned a vacation time around it, only to get burned.  In your case, I can understand being angry for the latter.

I do hope around the time of release you find some free time to enjoy the game.

It will be a better game out of the box considering they decided to go ahead and give it more polish. Christ, I remember playing games that were shoved out the door, like Dungeon Lords which had stuff listed on the box that wasn't in the game. I think I prefer they give it more attention.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Speaking of preoders, i wonder if the bonuses would become available in some way or another, like a regular DLC.

Like, something that makes them more accessable or at least not really lost in time.

17 hours ago, massivefanofdoom said:

I'm happy for you man, a lot of ppl were 'fussed' at first though :) Some ppl made plans and spent money a bit too early perhaps, understand others. I'm sure they got over it now, its been almost a week. We can stop this debate and look forward.

We’re all different at the end of the day and have different wants. I’m most upset about not wearing the Slayer helmet as part of my pre-order :D 

but happy to wait anyway. Life’s busy enough there’s always something else to do

My comment didn't age well. I'm over it man. You guys that have to tell everybody to stop 'whining' are 10x worse though. We get it guys, you are id software defense team and we suck for expressing our disappointment. But like i said, please stop it with the 'take all the time you want'. You want it 2 years from now? March is an extra 5 months, it should be enough time to give us a quality product and im ok and happy with that. WHat you dont understand is you are correct in that they should not release a buggy game and that they should delay it, but what you miss is not that people were upset because it got delayed, but because it got delayed when we were counting down the days. It seemed disorganized and unprofessional. And everyone has an opinion, no matter how dumb  it may seem to you, respect it. It's one thing to complain within reason, you're just acting like trolls picking on 'the other side' that doesn't agree with you. You mean to tell me they weren't mulling over delaying it for the past few months now? And how cliche, my cheesy username used against me. Never happened before. 

Edited by massivefanofdoom

20 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Christ, I remember playing games that were shoved out the door, like Dungeon Lords which had stuff listed on the box that wasn't in the game. I think I prefer they give it more attention.

That can also mean false advertising, however. A more recent example of that would be No Man's Sky, which was a real trainwreck at launch - the developers outright lied about features there were either not in the game at all, or were different from what was advertised.

Anyway, I'm not mad about this delay. Yea, it kinda irritated me a bit initially, but simply because it happened so close to the release. All those extra months will be spent on making a better product, not just more polished, but perhaps with even more content and address the concerns the community might have had, seriously, it's a win-win scenario. There's no reason to get up in arms against id here, even if you've pre-ordered (which, frankly, in this day and age, is a risky move because all sorts of problems can show up in the meantime), be thankful than in the end, you're more likely to receive a better product.

Also LOL this discussion above me 1.0 .

I've been playing through Doom (2016) on a Nightmare run through, and can confirm that the release date for Doom Eternal has now been changed to 3/20/2020 per the ingame advertisements as such.

It does kind of suck a bit, but given the caliber of Doom and what it means to everyone involved... I'd rather wait a little longer and see it done right, rather than it get the EA treatment of "Just shove a shitty product out to market and we'll fix it later... If it sells well, that is."

6 hours ago, seed said:

That can also mean false advertising, however. A more recent example of that would be No Man's Sky, which was a real trainwreck at launch - the developers outright lied about features there were either not in the game at all, or were different from what was advertised.

Yes, I've played that since it launched. It would've been so much better if they had spent more time on it before release. At least they more or less redeemed themselves by releasing loads of free updates and fixed / added so much since.

What I think is: if they delay a game, and after promoting it like if it were finished, now they have the obligation to release an excellent game. 

I'm not upset about the delay, it's ok, but if you take more time than the one that you've been announcing for months, now you have to justify the new release date with a really clean game. 

I think that's gonna be the case, let's hope. 

Something that i'm surprised nobody noticed (and is irrelevant enough, that id should have fixed it by now) is this room in which the windows used to be transparent in QC18 but in E3, they were pitch black.

Either they were closed (like if this game would ever have DN3D type of interactivity and you could open them at any time) or something technical could have happened to the background to not show up?

The fact you can see a 1 up there resembles a rule from Romero himself that is "if the player can see something from a certain spot, he should be able to get there", even if it's a secret. (example: that one soulsphere in E1M3)

eternalwindows.png

Hmm Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 also got delayed. either developers are becoming cautious of rushed releases. or they don't want to be overshadowed by Doom Eternal's release.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Hmm Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 also got delayed. either developers are becoming cautious of rushed releases. or they don't want to be overshadowed by Doom Eternal's release.

Did they ever fix the combat system for Bloodines 2?  It's a shame if they didn't and clearly shows they didn't learn from the mistakes of the first game.  

It has great potential but it shouldn't release in the same window as Doom Eternal (much like how the original released the same day as Half-Life 2, which hurt sales.)

The fun thing about having a Steam pre-order is that if they suddenly announce microtransactions out the ass or some really stupid shit I can drop it in a heartbeat and get my $60 back. They better not make me do that.

This theory that they're using the delay to implement microtransactions doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Considering that RAGE 2 and Wolf Youngblood had them at launch and DOOM Eternal has already been submitted for an ESRB rating that makes no mention of "In-Game Purchases" on the website, why would they add them now? The ones in the aforementioned games (especially Youngblood) probably didn't do any favors, either.

Not to mention, the extra four months seems like an excessive amount of time to test and debug such a thing, and what does the further delays of Invasion and the Switch port have to do with it anyway?

2 hours ago, chemo said:

This theory that they're using the delay to implement microtransactions doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Considering that RAGE 2 and Wolf Youngblood had them at launch and DOOM Eternal has already been submitted for an ESRB rating that makes no mention of "In-Game Purchases" on the website, why would they add them now? The ones in the aforementioned games (especially Youngblood) probably didn't do any favors, either.

Not to mention, the extra four months seems like an excessive amount of time to test and debug such a thing, and what does the further delays of Invasion and the Switch port have to do with it anyway?

Dumping worthless microtransactions are more of an EA thing - fuck those guys (I refuse to buy any game made by them).  As for 2016 Doom, I don't think it had any, other than maybe some skins for multiplayer. But from what I've seen of it, everything in multiplayer was unlockable if you ranked up enough or completed the appropriate challenges. The campaign never had a microtransaction - nor did it have single player DLC either. I would have liked to see a whole 2016 Doomguy backstory DLC mini-campaign, as told by what you find out in the campaign's Hell levels...

including a full Titan boss fight and how he wound up sealed away and later found by Hayden and the UAC team - setting up the events of the new Doom game...

But I guess maybe in the sequel.

I lol'd at people that butthurt because game been delayed for mere few months. Like, stop being so much of an entitled pussies and grow a sack for once, patience is a trait of true men, and fan.

I've been waiting 8 years for Prey to be released, I regret nothing.

I've been waiting 5 years for STALKER to be released, I regret nothing.

I've been waiting +10 years for DNF to be released, I regret nothing.

People hate this title because it is not a clone of DN3D but nevertheless it was an awesome game, and if not delays we wouldn't even get to begin with, or get something like extremely outdated Daikatana-like game on quake 1 engine like in 2004 or so. I am very happy with what they achieved so far. My only complaint is mere 3 gun carrying limit.

Just be fucking happy that the project is still going, not canceled, not turning in to human-shooting-with-boring-military-bullet-based-fire-arms-only cod clone, and still strives for perfection. Few months to wait is not really a task.

I for one am happy to wait. Too many games these days are rushed out in an unfinished state, and they definitely suffer because of it. Post-release patches are welcome when they do happen, but are definitely not a worthy substitute for actually completing the game before releasing it.

They're delaying to;

- Turn the titan into a mobile boss

- Create all original Doom monster sprites to kill in secret levels

- Modify pickups to be less cartoony

- Bring back classic deathmatch

- Return Snapmap

A man can dream...

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

They're delaying to;

- Turn the titan into a mobile boss

Not the Icon of Sin?

Also, i just wonder if they'd add two more modes for the shoulder cannon to follow a "water/fire/earth/air" pattern after the ice bomb and flamethrower.

Like, earth is either shield "walls" of rock/dirt or grass on the floor that slows down enemies and wind is either meant to push enemies back (like that Hexen item where you knock back enemies) or literal small hurricanes like one of Heretic's Iron Lich's attacks.

Speaking of Heretic/Hexen/Serpent Riders, weren't there levels where fireballs were capable of popping out from lava and acting as a level hazard that would fall on regular floors?

That's a basic videogame concept that exists since Mario but i can see that happening in Eternal, where you must avoid lava and not just by not falling into it.

That and spinning pillars with blades like those from Rise of the Triad.

I hope they're not "holding back" when it comes to designing enemies and i feel like saying the same in terms of level hazards and challenges.

Like traps in Hell, malfunctioning UAC security stuff like lasers or sentry turrets and for Earth levels, maybe moving trains or rivers of water/waterfalls that can push you back.

Speaking of items for the player, i'm surprised they haven't considered a "secondary support" kind of stuff yet, like a sentry turret thing, possessing an enemy for your side or even summoning a friendly demon like that one item from Quake 1's first expansion.

In fact, imagine an item that allows you to "possess" a weapon by making it a standalone turret that automatically fires at enemies and it could be any weapon.

Like, you select a rocket launcher for this "possession" sentry spell and it starts shooting rockets on its own at enemies while floating in air.

The downside is that it wastes ammo (bad with ammo shared between more than 1 weapon like bullets for example) and enemies can "kill" it, so it turns into a regular pick up, meaning the sentry effect is gone but you get your weapon back. (and you can also choose to turn off the weapon sentry effect thing)

Like the Life Leech from Blood but it can be any weapon as long as you have the specific item.

May not happen in the main game but we never know what will happen in the future expansions since they probably haven't started working on them yet.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, massivefanofdoom said:

My comment didn't age well. I'm over it man. You guys that have to tell everybody to stop 'whining' are 10x worse though. <...> And how cliche, my cheesy username used against me. Never happened before. 

What he said.

Surprised to see so many defenders of Bethesda. They had 4 fucking years to deliver, they sold preorders with the specific date, they fucked their customers. You don't fuck your customers.

They are grown (and I hope experienced) boys and girls, videogaming is not a new unexplored venture, they should have planed and managed better.

I, for once, don't really care for Doom Eternal, I had enough with 2k16 (again, was it so hard to name it Doom 4?), but I can easily understand the frustration of failed deadlines. People are not getting younger, you know.

I don't think anyone wants to defend Bethesda and you never know what kind of game you'll end up making that could take more time to be out for proper release.

Nobody wanted the game to be delayed and not many were expecting it.

I see why people are upset at it, because you never know what could happen to you before the game's actually out.

We could at least hope it ends up a better product, even with the disappointment from the delay.

Like, there's not much we can do about it besides hoping id does what they do best and surpass it while Bethesda/ZeniMax stay in their corner dealing with the other trashfires.

The fears and worries most people seem to have about the game being microtransactions and those sort of monetizations is that a lot of them being spread around feel like they're coming from people who took a while to learn about the greedy aspects of the industry.

Like, it's good to be informed and aware of the fucked up parts at least.

But i bring this up because i don't see a lot of these "worries" being about gameplay, like design stuff like "oh why is armor still working like a second health bar" or even praise for "oh cool, they're trying to make levels feel more different, they even bring back the radsuit".

Like, it's either MTX or "the ugly hud" or those "cartoony" graphics, but for a gameplay first franchise, i feel like those complaints got a bit louder.

You had this group that ranges from "glory kills don't belong in Doom" to "i like these mechanics, they'd probably fit in old Doom as seen in this gameplay mod" and that's examples of people discussing gameplay, which was probably more noticeable during 2016's release.

I don't know, i don't want to sound like an elitist gatekeeper but there sure is a huge difference between anyone who's done any wad or contribution for a source port and someone that makes Doot memes.

For a franchise that is "Eternal", we at least know which part of the fanbase that can be attributed to. (makes me wonder how many new fans could carry the torch of keeping fan sites/source ports/mods/wikis/etc alive")

Edited by whatup876 : fix

On 10/30/2019 at 6:41 AM, incel said:

Surprised to see so many defenders of Bethesda.

Whut? Bethesda is not the developer. id Software has always been the developer of the Doom franchise. Bethesda Softworks is the publisher, so nobody is defending Bethesda. They may fuck up with stuff like Fallout 76 but this one ain't on them.

It's a game delay. The game is still going to be finished and will be better for having more polish. Not defending Bethesda, they can go jump out a window. :P

id Software is the developer.

Bethesda is publisher.

I'm pretty sure it was Bethesdas idea to publish a release date instead of id Softwares usual "when it's done".

On the other side, let's not forget Doom 4 was a mess until it was rebooted in favor of Doom 2016 and put in "Bethesda mode".

At least they learned their lesson and decided to delay. Other publishers refused to do so causing GOTY games to be released in a crappy state, the worst example was Batman Arkham Knight (which was a perfect game one year and many patches later). I hope Bethesda learned from it's Fallout 76 disaster.