Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

What would be your ideal doom movie?

Actually, another idea could be a Doom movie done entirely by Troma. They certainly know how to handle low-budgets better than Universal 1440.

So, ok,

im not a huge poster here but i do lurk a lot and check shit out. I am a huge fan of the Doom franchise. Not quite the level as most of you. I still remember playing the shareware version of Doom and absolutely having it take over my psyche and imagining all of the images and what they meant and how it would feel to be Doomguy.

Honestly, the busning cityscapes of Doom II still actually pop into my creative flow a lot these days so many years later.

Doom 2016 really absolutely blew me away. I remember not playing it for ages because Doom III kinda confused me, i loved the moody horror of it all and the lighting and the fact it was more of an adventure horror game but it just seemed off, and i alway thought, maybe iD had like kinda just become a bit bland or lost with the Doom concept, so i bought Doom 2016 and then kinda didnt really play it for a while.

Eventually when i got round to it i was immediately struck by the total visceral nature of the gameplay, immersive and yet structured, harsh and intense but there was always a sense of purpose. Mick Gordon is THE FUCKING MAN for his soundtrack, being a fellow composer this guy blows my mind constantly. A very talented guy. And Aussie like me too. So, what about a Doom movie? the first Doom movie was utterly hilarious and complete trash, like, utter fucking trash. So, how to improve?

I love all of the suggestions regarding Hardcore Henry, like so cool, a really damn good idea tbh, and i love the idea of hardcore animation, although hardcore animations sometimes come across looking totally ridiculous and that detracts from the seriousness in the actual storyline of Doom in general. So.... again, where to go?

I mean, look, with the Doom 2016 story in mind, would it be cool to have several movies in this franchise.... like:

First Movie: 'Doom: Dark Energy'

A movie that kinda fleshes out Dr Samuel Hayden's years and his subsequent transition to robot form. Looking into The Fracture and the investigation and exploration of Mars.

The rise of Olivia Pierce from her young idealistic days

The development of Vega and what it means

How Argent energy is impacting earth, strange changes

The discovery of Hell and Argent Energy and the coverup needed to allow its processing

Developing and partially terraforming Mars

The growing secrecy of the UAC,

The first explorations of hell

and ultimately the discovery of the Doomslayers Tomb

Second Movie: 'Doom: Argent Corruption'

Dr Samuel Hayden as a massive robot changing his mentality to focus on energy and learning about the Doomslayer

Olivia Pierce's transition from intelligent scientist to Hell-corrupted cult leader and the ensuing decline in order among the UAC candidates

The discovery of Argent D'nur and the Sentinels along with the whole betrayal of the Sentinels with that story fleshed out a little more

Showing how Hell is corrupting Olivia Pierce and causing Samuel Hayden to lose faith in her while he is studying the Doomslayer and his power

The rift and fracture expanding and Cyberdemon incident and a lot of research into demons and their power

The opening of the Doomslayers tomb

The lowering standards of the UAC, showing the growing Hell threat and the ignorance to provent its invasion

The invasion begins

Third Movie: 'Doom: Hell Exists'

Dr Samuel Hayden losing control completely and Olivia Pierce becoming powerful and reveared

The opening of Hell and the invasion and destruction that ensues...

The Doomslayer awakens - this is all from Hayden's perspective.... i like the idea that we r forced to sympathise with Hayden

Hayden witnessing from afar the destructive capabilities of the Doomslayer and realizing his power

The awakening of The Icon Of Sin

Fleshing out the Hell and Demonic story - looking at a hierarchy, and not some cheezy overly used CGI stuff, a lot of realism (not fucking Star Wars)

Watching the destruction of the UAC Mars Research Facility as the Doomslayer destroys it all

Following the Doomslayer to Hell

Meeting the Spider Mastermind and how Olivia Pierce is intrinsically connected to it

The Crucible and the Doomslayers subsequent tethering and imprisonment

Fourth Movie: 'Doom: Hell on Earth'

The desolation of the planet, scavengers, almost kinda a post-apocalyptic movie

Doomslayer in a post-apocalyptic world trying to find a way to stop this invasion and reverse the corruption of Argent Energy...

.... Doom Eternal storyline stuff i guess....

I mean sorry for this enormous post and im sure you all have other ideas.... like following the original 1993 Doom Marine storyline, which could be amazing as like a mini-series or TV show that is kinda concurrent, could show the connection to the Doom 2016 storyline with the original Doom Marine being the original soul that was used as the Doomslayers soul in subsequent games.... i dunno guys, just talking a lot of shit....

WHO WOULD PLAY THE CHARACTERS?

i know there has been a huge discussion about this in another post, but it was mainly only about the Doomslayer. but what about the other characters....

Doomslayer ideas:

- Kieth Urban (as has been suggested)

- Josh Brolin

- Keanu Reeves (hahahahaha)

- Jason Mamoa

- GIVE ME MORE IDEAS

Dr Samuel Hayden (alive) ideas:

- Sam Neil (im thinking Event Horizon haha)

- Stellen Skasgaard

- Anthony Hopkins

- Harrison Ford

- GIVE ME MORE IDEAS haha

Olivia Pierce ideas:

- HAS TO BE Tilda Swinton

- Emily Blunt

- Sherry Moon Zombie (hahaha)

- Lena Headey

There are loads of cool ideas to discuss, like how good would it be if this was directed by Denis Villeneuve, all Blade Runner 2049 mixed with the unsettling nature of Enemy. Or the ultra-violence and extreme colour and contrast of Nicolas Winding Refn - it would be so abstract and harsh. I would love to hear Mick Gordon on sound design as usual but it would be amazing to have it combined with Hans Zimmer's sensibilities for harsh action..... if only Johann Johannsson was still alive to assist.

Anyway. this is TOO long a post, sorry guys, id love to hear this fleshed out....

I'd love to see a Doom 2 Hell on Earth Movie. Even if it was first person (like Hardcore Henry). But something just pure action from the beginning and ending with some brutality trying to kill the Icon of Sin

• James Wan directs. Sam Raimi produces.
  • Add film grain, make it look like a drive-in flick. Grindhouse style.
  • Use a ridiculous amount of blood, on the level of the Evil Dead remake.
  • Needs to be corny and know it. Go full-on "Demons from hell" but own how stupid it is.
  • Cacodemons! PRACTICAL cacodemons. Think of the beholder from Big Trouble in Little China.
  • Junkie XL does the soundtrack. Get some metal songs in there. License some of the songs Robert Prince copied for the game.
  • Adapt Doom 1993. 2016 wouldn't work as a film but there could be elements of it.

I recall reading about the last Doom movie and how they called the BFG the “Bio Force Gun”.

Since then, I couldn’t help but imagine a newer movie with a scene where Doom Guy finds the BFG.

DoomGuy: What’s this thing?

Person over radio: It’s a BFG9000.

DoomGuy: What does that stand for?

Radio: It stands for Bio Force Gun.

Doomguy: ...I think I like my name for it better. *pulls safety*

Pure Doom & Doom 2. No Doom 3, it's been done already, and totally ignore Bethesdoom's right-wing pandering reboot and its Master Chief wannabe "hero". Unfortunately this will not happen unless someone else gets the franchise(which could happen with Fallout 76 being crap enough to warrant a class-action lawsuit, their other games of late being awful, etc), Bethesda wouldn't allow it(unless it's set up to be a huge box office bomb on purpose- we've seen how they've all but sabotaged OG Doom's current releases) and they're already disowning Annihilation for not being "male" enough. And people claim Disney has an agenda with their acquisition of Star Wars.

Hell, take the basic setup of the first novel, remove or tone down Arlene to a bit part(I didn't mind the IDEA of her, but she was an obnoxious, unlikeable character and the "they're not lovers" angle they had to remind us of constantly was pointless) and get rid of the "they're actually aliens" plot device and it could well work. And don't change the monster designs! In other words keep Michael Bay away from this. Better yet, that's a good idea for the film as a whole. Don't let Orci & Kurtzman near the script, either. In fact, require the writer & director to have played the games fully. After garbage like Street Fighter, Doom & Max Payne I think playing the games should be required. Max Payne didn't need alterations but they did it anyway.

The only way I see this going to the liking of fans is if it's an independent fan film project.

1 hour ago, diosoth said:

Pure Doom & Doom 2. No Doom 3, it's been done already, and totally ignore Bethesdoom's right-wing pandering reboot and its Master Chief wannabe "hero". Unfortunately this will not happen unless someone else gets the franchise(which could happen with Fallout 76 being crap enough to warrant a class-action lawsuit, their other games of late being awful, etc), Bethesda wouldn't allow it(unless it's set up to be a huge box office bomb on purpose- we've seen how they've all but sabotaged OG Doom's current releases) and they're already disowning Annihilation for not being "male" enough. And people claim Disney has an agenda with their acquisition of Star Wars.

Hell, take the basic setup of the first novel, remove or tone down Arlene to a bit part(I didn't mind the IDEA of her, but she was an obnoxious, unlikeable character and the "they're not lovers" angle they had to remind us of constantly was pointless) and get rid of the "they're actually aliens" plot device and it could well work. And don't change the monster designs! In other words keep Michael Bay away from this. Better yet, that's a good idea for the film as a whole. Don't let Orci & Kurtzman near the script, either. In fact, require the writer & director to have played the games fully. After garbage like Street Fighter, Doom & Max Payne I think playing the games should be required. Max Payne didn't need alterations but they did it anyway.

The only way I see this going to the liking of fans is if it's an independent fan film project.

That would be pretty cool. If some fans could gather enough money to actually make a competent movie, I think that would be the best possible doom movie.

Well...it would be all action, about the adventure. Like how Doom is all about the gameplay. First person view of course.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:18 AM, EtherBot said:

I'd absolutely love a slow burn sci fi horror retelling of the backstory of doom. Little details, especially Deimos vanishing form the martian sky, really sound like they'd play well in a sort of conspiracy story starting on mars in the UAC, and maybe by the end of it as all the pieces are falling together and hell is breaking loose, it can bend more in a traditional Die Hard/Aliens kind of direction I think most people think of when they picture a Doom movie. Near the end the protagonist finally goes to hell in a short, abstractly terrifying climax (think half-life's xen, i guess). Having that grounding in a slow conspiracy story can help really sell it when it becames more action and suspense oriented like you THINK you want the whole movie to be. Think, idk, Stranger Things season 1.

omfg i called it everyone i 100% predicted exactly what the movie would be holy shit

20 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Well...it would be all action, about the adventure. Like how Doom is all about the gameplay. First person view of course.

Stick to playing the games then.

Im really genuinely surprised that there is so much hate for the story of Doom 2016.... genuinely, i mean the story has so many cool facets to it that could really be fleshed out into a series of Doom movies.

I mean, sure Doom and Doom II are great places to start but the story there is thin and pure action, am i really actually the only one who sees the potential to flesh out the whole idea into a bigger darker more scifi horror, scifi thriller idea? i guess so. Not saying people r wrong, thats obviously absurd, but just surprised i guess.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Pandemonium said:

I'd love to see a Doom 2 Hell on Earth Movie. Even if it was first person (like Hardcore Henry). But something just pure action from the beginning and ending with some brutality trying to kill the Icon of Sin

Yeeeaaaahhh man that would be awesome

I almost answered none because video game movies almost never work, but then I thought about it some more. Yes, a good Doom movie could be made, with the following things in mind.

Respect and Use the Source Material... To a Point

Doom is hard R, gory and bloody, and you are damn right it's about an invasion from Hell. Doom is not pro Hell, Doom sticks a shotgun under Hell's chin and unloads both barrels. Depiction is not endorsement and people need to get that silly idea out of their heads. But lose the lone marine. Unless you can cast Robert Downey Jr or someone similarly charismatic, you need supporting players. You need human interaction. That may take the form of interaction with survivors, remote helpers, or with a small team of marines doing the work and eventually whittled down to one survivor but if you take this route again your lead guy/gal needs to really sell it. Add what you need to make a great movie, but do not screw with the game's fundamental ideals.

Take It Seriously

Classic Doom is neither camp nor serious. It's not really... well defined enough in my opinion. Doom 3 and 2016 however, are quite serious in overall tone in spite of the inherent absurdity of the action. That should be the thematic and script reference point. Yes you can have the occasional joke or one liner, but it's an invasion from Hell. The movie would be better for taking that seriously rather than camping it up I think. The world already has enough campy and silly action/horror movies and not nearly enough taking themselves seriously.

Give It the Resources It Deserves

Decent budget. Competent actors. An interesting script that contains elements of the game plot but is not a total rehash, so fans get something new. A director with good action and/or horror experience. Do not skimp on the action but do not forget to actually tell an engaging story too.

Dammit, now I want to see a Doom movie starring Robert Downey Junior...

Edited by Murdoch

Is it too much to ask for a Doom movie to have some actual sci-fi looking armor/costumes instead of your run of the mill generic SWAT/special forces outfits?

Now that I think of it, I'd be very interested in watching a comedic movie where all of the characters are Revenants that speak in a British accent. 

Parkour John Woo action. I like how in Doom 2016 you jump around like a crazy flea, from enemy to enemy. Imagine this done in armor, by real stuntmen who shotgun rubber suit enemies to death. It should be a short, action packed movie with either a silent protagonist or someone like Ash from Evil Dead 3. Think: Crank but with demons.

At this point I'm waiting for someone to make a movie using the Doom 2016 characters and monsters and moving though locations that recall OG Doom, kinda like those Red vs Blue Halo movies.

Okay, I just found out they're called 'machinima'.  Yay for research. 

On 9/24/2019 at 7:38 PM, Cacademom said:

I recall reading about the last Doom movie and how they called the BFG the “Bio Force Gun”.

Since then, I couldn’t help but imagine a newer movie with a scene where Doom Guy finds the BFG.

DoomGuy: What’s this thing?

Person over radio: It’s a BFG9000.

DoomGuy: What does that stand for?

Radio: It stands for Bio Force Gun.

Doomguy: ...I think I like my name for it better. *pulls safety*

This is basically what happens in Doom Annihilation.

The movie has to look like (or at least have some semblance of) areas of the first two doom games

The Plot should be the first 4 Doom novels.

4 Books, 4 Movies (or more, in case you can't fit it all in 4 movies)

Edited by Untamed64