Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Goat

Help maybe?

Ok I've tried other places with people who seem to know what they're talking about, and I've been avoiding this for awhile but you guys seem to be the only people that might be able to help me. I ask you not to moan and groan, but to feel good that someone feels highly of you enough to ask this of you.
Ok now that that's over let me give you some background..

A while back my motherboard blew. Dunno how, dunno why, it just did. I couldnt order a motherboard over the net cuz my computer was fucked, so i took it to a local computer repair shop. They said they only had one mb that would support my hardware, but they would have to put my stuff in a completely new case. I was like "ok...whatever, just repair the goddamned thing!". all in all, the repair, labor, and parts cost $202. Took the computer home, booted it up and everything seemed to work perfectly. That is, until i tried to play a fucking game. actually, let me backtrack a bit. before i took it to the shop, i removed my secondary hard drive that has all my shit on it, i.e. games, movies, music, etc. in case i wanted to hook it up to my mom's boyfriend's computer, cuz god knows how long it would fucking take to repair my mobo. when i got my computer back, they had apparently "left out" a power cable that hooked to my 2nd hard drive, and the cd-audio cord from my top cd drive. i didnt say anything because i hate bitching at people, so i went and bought new ones. other than that shit, everything seemed to work. that is, until i tried to play a game. Let me use Quake 3 as an example... Before my motherboard died, I could play Quake 3 at about 100 frames per second, in 1024x768 with all details maxed. Now, even when i put my desktop at 640x480, all details lowered to the minimum, it runs at, maximum, 20 fps. Not only are the graphics slow, the hard drives transfer data agonizingly slow, copying on the same drive, and copying/moving a file to another drive. The audio can only support one source of sound at a time, for example, i can't play music in winamp and hear an instant message sound at the same time. the im sound is not played. I used to be able to have a background photograph and not lag on my desktop, but i have had to remove the background because otherwise it wuold take my desktop upwards of 10 seconds to fully refresh. I posted a message similar to this on one board, and they siad that PC Chips, the makers of my new board, are notorious for making terrible motherboards. I would like to know if any of you can supply informating regarding my situation. Let me give you some of my specs. . .

PC Chips motherboard
Intel Celeron 666MHz
192 Megs SDRAM
VooDoo5 64 Meg video card
Windows 98 OS

I have been searching for a new motherboard that would be compatible with my current hardware on Pricewatch.com, but i wonder if there could be an alternate resolution to my predicament. Thx for your help...

i only have a few ideas, but it sounds like some settings in the new BIOS on the motherboard may be to blame. Are you using the AGP version of the Voodoo5? If so your BIOS may be using a small AGP aperture, or a small AGP Mode, like 2x. Go over all your BIOS setting carefully. To be square with you, PC Chips sucks really bad, so this board may not be good enough for what you need. As you've noticed, the motherboard is the control center for all your hardware, and if it's a piece of crap, your whole system will suffer.

As for maxing Quake 3 out on a Voodoo5, my PIII 450 can't do it. I gotta run quake3 on 800x600x16bit color or else it runs like shit. It's strange, I used to run it maxed but then it slowly degraded. I still use the V5 in that machine.

yea check the BIOS but also update the drivers. chances are they may have just stuck the new main board in and that was it. Get drivers for the main board and update all the other drivers.
personaly i would have just gotten a newer mainboard and CPU. u could have updated for a little more than that.

Also make sure the video card is seated correctly and that it is tight. It is rare but sometimes that is the problem.

Also vidoe card may be dying, hey if the board just blew it could have been a surge or a bad power suply. both will damage other parts. modems and network card seem to be the easist to kill

I have already installed all the drivers for the motherboard, updated drivers for the Voodoo. if it were messed up, wouldnt i just get a black screen since my monitor plugs into the video card?

I suspect that it is just the fact the motherboard sucks complete ass due to the terrible hard drive performance and video performance. i am at my dads right now and i will check the bios when i get home, but i think its just the motherboard.

Please pardon me for bumping this somewhat old thread, but i was wondering how i can find out my processors chipset. i am not currently at the computer that i would like the information for, and i wont be until the 3rd. I would like to know this between now and that time, and i know that it is a Intel Celeron Processor with 666MHz and that it came from a Compaq Presario 5000 Model 5bw130... i dont know what a chipset really is, but if any of you could find out this information for me, or tell me how to find it out, i would be extremely appreciative. you see, i want to order a new motherboard for this processor cuz the other one really sucks ass, and i wuold like to order it from here (my dads) and have it waiting there (my moms), but to do this i need to know the chipset. im trying to find a motherboard on pricewatch that has on-board audio, is not a pc chips motherboard, and can support that processor. again sorry for bumping old thread, and thanks for any help.

The chipset refers to the other chips on the board that control the various funtions of the motherboard. usually it's in the name of the board, like the Soltek Sl-85ERV2 VIA P4X400A. The chipset is P4x400, and was made by Via technologies. Just check your docs for that board, or call the dump that put it together. They should know the chipset.

well whats all this shit about the chipset being "intel 810e" and stuff like that? is that for a motherboard made by intel or whatever? and the boards i find are made for intel ### chipset, which led me to believe the chipset dealt with the processor and not the motherboard, seing as its made FOR something or another.