Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Donald Trump (donnytrump) is a cheat code in Strife that gives you tons of money and all the artifacts. Thus, Donald Trump has managed to sneak his way into the GZDoom codebase...

Edited by 3saster

2 minutes ago, 3saster said:

Donald Trump (donnytrump) is a cheat code in Strife that gives you tons of money and all the artifacts. Thus, Donald Trump has managed to speak his way into the GZDoom codebase...

He'll never stop winning, will he?

Certain French shovelware compilation preserved a version of BF_THUD!.WAD which includes JPTR_V40.WAD’s E3M8 as MAP30.

Also, this compilation did preserve the entire contents (already unpacked, that is) of the original CDKSTUFF.ZIP posted supposedly on CompuServe Action Games forum by the author of all this stuff, Christen David Klie. It contains the original filenames of his Master Levels outtakes, as curiosity.

Extracted from said shovelware compilation: https://doomshack.org/uploads/CDKSTUFF_REBUILT.ZIP

I bet someone has said something about this before but i am not gonna read 264 pages so uhh

Doom 64 imp has an asshole

Arg. In ZDoom if you hop on a thing (like a barrel) on a moving floor (BOOM format) the thing stops moving even though the floor continues to scroll. What a pain. I made a room designed around riding on top of a barrel along a conveyor belt to proceed, and now that's shot... unless the map can be converted to a different format which doesn't share this mechanic?

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Missile Damage 4 can gib a 20 HP Zombie.   I love how every once in a while, a plasma bolt or Caco bite/ball could gib them with missile damage 5.   Recently surprised myself as nothing normally in Doom is set to 4.

12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Missile Damage 4 can gib a 20 HP Zombie.   I love how every once in a while, a plasma bolt or Caco bite/ball could gib them with missile damage 5.   Recently surprised myself as nothing normally in Doom is set to 4.

Imps do 3 damage and they can gib zombies if they hit a low hp zombie with a high dmg ball.

Realized this a few months ago, but it bears repeating.... because it is so damn obvious....

All the startup demos in Doom were played with keyboard + mouse.  

There was a topic here that Doom was ALWAYS meant to be played with keyboard and mouse (as opposed to keyboard only), and the guy pointed the demos out as proof of this.  When I read that, I immediately realized, I didn't even need to look them up, I have them burned in my memory, and holy shit I never consciously acknowledged that.  

BTW, I still play keyboard-only, because I always have.  Keyboard + mouse feels more like a Quake thing to me

26 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Realized this a few months ago, but it bears repeating.... because it is so damn obvious....

All the startup demos in Doom were played with keyboard + mouse.  

There was a topic here that Doom was ALWAYS meant to be played with keyboard and mouse (as opposed to keyboard only), and the guy pointed the demos out as proof of this.  When I read that, I immediately realized, I didn't even need to look them up, I have them burned in my memory, and holy shit I never consciously acknowledged that.  

BTW, I still play keyboard-only, because I always have.  Keyboard + mouse feels more like a Quake thing to me

I don't know what are the teaser startup demos supposed to prove; they're deliberately played sloppily as if Romero or whoever was at the controls was an utter noob. My feeling upon watching the demos is that they look like someone was thrusting the mouse around in order to move, but I guess that can be verified by looking at the demo hex data: the presence of any exact integers means the keyboard was also used. 

It would have been so cool to have some multiplayer demos too. I guess that it was something too new, or too few people had networks in order to make that feature advertise-worthy? I only found out DOOM has multiplayer after I read the manual... 

58 minutes ago, printz said:

It would have been so cool to have some multiplayer demos too. I guess that it was something too new, or too few people had networks in order to make that feature advertise-worthy? I only found out DOOM has multiplayer after I read the manual... 

Shareware Doom 1.666 had a multiplayer demo.

However the reason why they didn't originally was because demos didn't actually work for multiplayer, that was actually added in 1.4.

Also the setup program clearly indicated multiplayer, which most people needed to run to even get sound working as Doom didn't automatically configure that. And multiplayer was available to anybody who could connect two computers together, as it supported modem/serial connections as well. While the same can't be said for modems or IPX compatible NICs, you can guarantee everyone had a serial port.

Version 1.7 of Doom 2 overhauled Underhalls, BUT, this isn't the version that actually broke parts of the map - the barrels are where they should be in the dark area with the blue key, and the infamous Sergeant is not stuck inside the wall. Yet, this version removed the barrier to the left side inside the first room.

Also the secrets on the Wolfenstein maps are still not marked.

In the Xbox version of E4M1, it's impossible to activate the torch that reveals the "NIN" secret (which technically still exists, yes), as well as the final monster closet with the 4 Barons. So, it's not possible to get 100% kills and secrets on this version of the map. Even if you noclip into the Barons' closet to alert them, they never teleport outside of it.

Spoiler

Wallrunning doesn't work in Doom v1.1 (North-South and East-West walls), except for some diagonal walls for which it's the same as Doom v1.9.

Edited by axdoomer

On 10/20/2019 at 3:33 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Most likely a reference to NIN's "Broken" E.P. 

Should have patched it to reference NIN's second EP :P

Spoiler

Nine_Inch_Nails_-_Fixed.png

Edited by Rathori

Just found out that there are demons in the bottom of the Ultimate Doom Art

image.png.b1ca6171915b8e000f5d29fc3033e13f.png

1 hour ago, HLRaven said:

Just found out that there are demons in the bottom of the Ultimate Doom Art

I knew about the demons, but not about another marine in the bottom left corner :)

5 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Unless it's a third marine I just realised, the pinky demon just to the right of the doom marine is in-fighting.

Yeah. It looks like the demon is killing someone, but it looks more like shotgun guy or zombieman.

I think I know why Fluidsynth sounds so bad in PrBoom, vs GZDoom.

While messing with the config (why aren't there menu options for these things I don't know... ) in my experimentation with soundfonts for an upcoming let's play, I noticed there's chorus and reverb options just like in GZDoom, but, they're turned ON by default. After turning them OFF, the music quality instantly got much, much better, and they also seem to affect the volume too, somehow, music is much louder now than before.

So, no, Fluidsynth isn't actually dogshit in PrBoom, but it ends up sounding that way because of those 2 options that are active by default.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:55 PM, seed said:

I think I know why Fluidsynth sounds so bad in PrBoom, vs GZDoom.

While messing with the config (why aren't there menu options for these things I don't know... ) in my experimentation with soundfonts for an upcoming let's play, I noticed there's chorus and reverb options just like in GZDoom, but, they're turned ON by default. After turning them OFF, the music quality instantly got much, much better, and they also seem to affect the volume too, somehow, music is much louder now than before.

So, no, Fluidsynth isn't actually dogshit in PrBoom, but it ends up sounding that way because of those 2 options that are active by default.

There's quite a few settings in GZDoom that are on by default that make the game look greasy, etc., but I learned that's only because the defaults are set to Graf Zahl's preferences. Understandable, since who wants to go to the trouble of resetting their settings on every GZDoom build.

It may pay to experiment with settings when playing GZDoom for the first time.

27 minutes ago, Untamed64 said:

It may pay to experiment with settings when playing GZDoom for the first time.

prolly the truth for any sourceport out there. ;-) still, it is sometimes hard to guess what some option means, especially for somebody who hasn't deep understanding of modern 3D tech.

This is not about doom, but about doomworld. I noticed that when I reached post/content count of "911", I got the "Forgotten member" custom title.

image.png.3f207f11ff6feb0e02b0d0735f1e5a11.png

That you can actually have floors and ceilings with different brightness levels in Vanilla Doom! It is a bit hacky (kinda like deep water), but it's really cool! Pictured below is MAP01 of Hell Revealed 2 near the exit, where the effect can be seen.
ZynHG8N.png

On 11/5/2019 at 8:04 AM, 3saster said:

That you can actually have floors and ceilings with different brightness levels in Vanilla Doom! It is a bit hacky (kinda like deep water), but it's really cool! Pictured below is MAP01 of Hell Revealed 2 near the exit, where the effect can be seen.
ZynHG8N.png

Shadowcasting! It's a great effect for vanilla.

For those who don't recognize the effect, here's a Doomworld tutorial on it (it's too bad those tutorials aren't more readily accessible from within Doomworld, I always have to get to them from outside).

And here are two threads about it, one from 2001 and the other from 2012 (I guess that means in a few years someone will have to pose a shadowcasting question for the 2020's).