Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kknot5889

VILE- My first map

Vile 1.1.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_091314.png.4ae22508083f208799ca6be29bf5f608.png

You've infiltrated a secret UAC hidden in a mountainous region of Mars. Before the invasion, this base was tasked with production of a new secret weapon. When science alone wasn't cutting it, researchers turned to the occult to meet their ends. Before they were overrun with demons, it's reported that the weapon was completed. But what did they create?

Or who?

So here is my first ever wad. Vile. It's a large limit removing single map created in Doom Builder 2. I've spent about a month working on this and I think it's finally ready to release. Here are the details:

IWAD: Doom 2

Port: GZDoom (I haven't tested it in any other ports)

Crouch/Jump: No

Mouselook: Permitted, but not required

Length: About 45 minutes

Difficulty settings: Enabled, but only extensively tested on UV

Music by Gwyn Williams, TLC, Mark Snow

Here are some more screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_014233.png.f74b36e43d5ba95fb1a244d56be383f2.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_013932.png.d1e9a883c2aad648a0517913bd3ba7aa.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_013849.png.f13cd991c2b4366de81ad7ecfcb85ca4.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_014144.png.369b643acb8134074dd225335e57e340.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_014105_01.png.47546fcce648da865f2c2ed790ea1f31.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_093232.png.290cca24be3f280f1b7ba42ffe0f11e7.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_014837.png.176ee4dc43aa446bdb70a2776e8f0ca9.png

And here is my own UV Max playthrough (secret spoiler alert):

Spoiler

Special thanks to:

@Pierrot, @HAK3180, @LouigiVerona, @Armolitskiy for playtesting

@inventor200 for turning me on to the Vile Flesh wad where I got my midi tracks

@Gez, @Doom_Dude for answering my dumb editing questions

Update 1.1:

Fixed some linedef malfunctions discovered by @mewbusi, fixed two small lighting issues.

Edited by kknot5889

8 hours ago, LouigiVerona said:

I will definitely play this again soon!

Awesome! I've adjusted the lighting and balanced it for HMP and HNTR. Let me know how it goes!

Edited by kknot5889

Well, here is my playthough.

Some notes, it seems as if one of the linedefs in the mancubus cage did not activate the first time through. I also had an occurrence where I was reteleported to the archvile hallway and was unable to get back via the teleport that took me back the first time. This took me an hour to beat, and while I enjoyed the experience it just kept on going when I expected it to finally give up. This map was so large that I would heavily suggest it being split up into two maps if I'm being honest.

However for a first time map, this is massively impressive just due to size alone. However it seems as if the texture variation suffered due to the large size. Most rooms are just one texture, and while each room has a different texture for most everything it kinda makes these rooms a bit bland. The massive amounts of traps and ambushes kinda became expected after a bit and while during the first 30 minutes the map did surprise me with each trap after that it became commonplace to me. The two arenas that I did see provided a very unique experience and were nice and massive allowing me to move to my heart's content. I also never really had too much of an issue with ammo and health but never too much which is a hard balance to do.

While this is near epic for a first map, if I have any suggestions it is to try something more compact and rich for your next map. That or aim for more detail on the rooms for the next map you make if it would still aim for the same size as this one. For lack of a better word each room just feels like another place to place monsters and that's really it, landmarks would be a great addition for better memorability. As it is each room kinda runs into each other. 

Still though, impressive for a first time map. However the size might have negatively impacted detail and most rooms feels rather samey.

@mewbusi

Thanks so much for the playthrough! I watched the first little bit of it and I'll finish it after work. I did go through and check out where you had the problems. I'll have to check that linedef in the Mancubus cage. I've never had that not trigger, but maybe you caught the edge of it and slipped by. As far as the teleporter goes, that one you went back through before the final room was a new addition. Previously, there was no way to get back to the Archie hallway, so the teleporter line is probably only set to walk over once. I'll get that fixed up. 

I really appreciate the review. I'll admit that I didn't anticipate making the map this large when I started it and definitely plan on doing some smaller maps now that I've finished this one. I may have underestimated how long it will take people to finish it. It's so hard to judge just because I know where everything is when I play it. I'm definitely going to work more on texturing detail and such. 

Can't wait to watch the rest of the video. Thanks for bringing those issues to my attention. It's always something! Thanks for taking the time.

13 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

Awesome! I've adjusted the lighting and balanced it for HMP and HNTR. Let me know how it goes!

The lighting is great. Played it on UV a bit. Will play on HMP too!

3 hours ago, LouigiVerona said:

The lighting is great. Played it on UV a bit. Will play on HMP too!

Good good. Glad to hear it. Let me know how it goes for you.

Played through the map just there. Great map, very challenging! Good placement of items, just enough to stop it being a punchfest :)

Took me about 40 mins.

@LouigiVerona 

Going to watch yours and finish watching mewbusi's right after dinner. Can't wait to see how you fared. I'll report back. 

@Rapp0ng Thanks for giving it a whirl! What difficulty did you play on? How were the secrets for you? Appreciate you taking the time.

16 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

@Rapp0ng Thanks for giving it a whirl! What difficulty did you play on? How were the secrets for you? Appreciate you taking the time.

Ultra Violence, found a few of the secrets but not all

@LouigiVerona

Just finished your video. Fantastic! Glad the lighting worked better for you. About the issue you encountered at the end. That is something I've fixed in the latest version. That teleporter you went through was added later. As such, the Archie hallway wasn't set up to let you out a second time. I've fixed it, now. There's one more room after the one you were in. 

As to that one secret 

Spoiler

The silent teleporter that put you in that room with the Archviles worked exactly as intended. You're meant to run forward, room changes, when you cross the threshold into the room it teleports you to the elevated structure facing the top Archvile. As soon as you jump off you're back in the regular outdoor area. If you time it just right, you come back out with the flames on you from the impending Archie attack. Between that, the disappearing Archvile in the room before it and the dark hallway, it feels like you're always being hunted. That comes to a conclusion in the final room.

Looks like the HMP difficulty worked much better for you. Like I said when you played it before, it only had UV at the time no matter what difficulty you selected, so that was much harder. I think there are about 50 more monsters in UV and they're not small. 

Thoughts?

Thanks so much for playing again!

@mewbusi

Alright. Just finished the playthrough. That was a great watch! Sorry about those two problems you found, but I've rectified them in the new update. I explained in my previous comment, but that teleporter in the opening room on that platform was the last addition and I didn't take into account that the Archie hallway only had a W1 teleport line instead of a WR. You weren't originally able to get back there. But yes, very entertaining watch. You really kicked that things ass. 

Spoiler

I'm surprised about that Archvile that teleported in behind you in the room that lowers the red key. Generally, he silent teleports in, you turn around, he runs around for a second as they generally do, and he teleports out. I've never once had him actually attack me. I tightened up his movement sector, so that shouldn't happen again. Hopefully. Just meant to be a little jump scare. When I play through, I turn around and juuuuust catch a glimpse of him running before he disappears. That's the intended effect, anyway.

Thanks again for the video. It really helped me out. Those are issues I'd never even see on my own playthroughs.

t8VVUPV.png

Fun little big map. I spent most of the map wishing for a backpack, and realised on an ammo backtrack when I found one (In the blue armor secret with the hordes) that there was one fairly early on >.<.

Lot of monsters, but that's to be expected in a big map. I missed 5 of them - Those three arch-viles in the secret, and another two... Somewhere. I only had to use saves twice; The first with the aforementioned archviles, because I somehow got blasted into the middle of the torches and couldn't escape... And second with the ending room (Pretty nasty if you just rush straight in... Which I of course did).

Enjoyed it quite a bit.

@Magicana

Thanks for taking the time to play! At the moment, those three Archviles can't be killed. I mean, I'm sure you can, but I can't imagine anyone will. Not quite sure how you managed to blast yourself into the torches. 

Spoiler

Each side of the upper platform with the third Archvile is a teleport trigger to take you back to the outdoor area. I guess if you got blasted off the platform, maybe? But even then it should just put you in one of my teleport sectors in the original outdoor area. All of which are outside the torches. Very weird!

Sorry you missed the backpack so early. I didn't want to give it away, but I tried to make it visible. I love an early backpack. There were also two of them in one of the monster closets in the room with the large wooden column and the two bigger fights. I don't think there are any more, but maybe I should include one more obvious one in case people missed them?

Thanks a bunch!

10 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

@Magicana

Thanks for taking the time to play! At the moment, those three Archviles can't be killed. I mean, I'm sure you can, but I can't imagine anyone will. Not quite sure how you managed to blast yourself into the torches. 

Hide contents

Each side of the upper platform with the third Archvile is a teleport trigger to take you back to the outdoor area. I guess if you got blasted off the platform, maybe? But even then it should just put you in one of my teleport sectors in the original outdoor area. All of which are outside the torches. Very weird!

Sorry you missed the backpack so early. I didn't want to give it away, but I tried to make it visible. I love an early backpack. There were also two of them in one of the monster closets in the room with the large wooden column and the two bigger fights. I don't think there are any more, but maybe I should include one more obvious one in case people missed them?

Thanks a bunch!

I think it's fine as is. I was able to get through just fine.

The archviles are probably killable. They're set to ambush so you can just about do them one at a time. However I didn't manage it in a few attempts. I presume I got stuck as a 1/1000 by getting blasted as I teleported.

Only other thing I wanted to ask was about the soulsphere in the blue key room. I grabbed it through the wall, but I presume that wasn't intended? 

2 minutes ago, Magicana said:

Only other thing I wanted to ask was about the soulsphere in the blue key room. I grabbed it through the wall, but I presume that wasn't intended? 

You were able to grab that? Shit. I continually bashed myself into that wall from every angle to test that. No, that isn't intended. 

Spoiler

That is accessible from the computer room you teleport to after fighting the Revenants that appear in the beginning room. You hump the computer panel closest to you when you teleport in and a wall opens up on the other end of the room.

Congratulations on map release!
It was fun to play it a second time. Pretty solid gameplay and well balanced. Nice job for a first map!