Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Hi, I'm from Chile, and we're getting shot by the fucking military over here

Damn dude. That sounds really rough, I'm sorry you guys have to go through those kind of things over there. Sometimes I think I have things bad but forget shit like this is going on. Hope it can get better in time.

I'm sorry to hear about this, I was unaware of Chile's situation.

When the government, cops and military are corrupt and feel like the enemy, there is inevitably going to be violence.

I hope things turn around for you guys.

I feel for u man. I hope ur country gets to see better times.

My country (Pakistan) is also in a not so good situation. Here, the existence of a government greatly depends on how good their relations are with the military/ armed forces. The last government was no saint, but they were much better than current ones.

But sadly their relations with armed forces were not so good. Thus the military conspired to take them down by making pressurizing the judges of the Supreme court to make fake judicial cases against them to tarnish their popularity and making sure that they won't win the next election.

Ever since the new government took over, things have become much much worse. The purchasing power of an average citizen has fallen a lot due to severe currency devaluation. Unemployment has risen and there is an increasingly lack of trust between the government and the industrialists. The current government is so incompetent that they can't even control dengue and atleast 50 people have died in the last 3-ish months because of it.

But all is well due to the current government being on good terms with the military 😒. In short, democracy in my country exists only in name.

Although what u said about Chile (forces gunning down citizens) hasn't happened here yet, but I am afraid that it may happen one day due to where things are going right now.

Well, nothing new.

I don't want to display my country, but we here eat shit all our goddamn history and when you try to reduce the ammount of shit eaten, your shit-eating comrades will force-feed you an extra-share. We're famous for our indulgence and conformity. There was a joke lately that our transportation fare rises each year by far more than 30 CLP, but you can't buy our mutiny this cheap.

All I can say is that violence is the only solution and that's why each and every country needs a 2nd amendment.

Hole pile of dy-

Wow. That fucking sucks, I hope these tough times are going to end sometime soon and finally take a turn for the better. Surprisingly, reading through your post, there seem to be quite a few common points (problems) we have here as well, albeit less extreme and we're not literally at war now.

But our public care system is also dogshit, if you end up into a public hospital it's, you know, better to have your last will written because you're either going to die in there, or come out in a much worse state than you entered, we import everything because we've sold the country to others, we have abysmal minimum sallaries and pensions, the majority of the current political class is corrupt, uncultured (yes, literally), and only cares for themselves and their businesses, we live in an illusory democracy, we've been beaten out in the streets by cops for protesting for over 3 years to overthrow the current government (which finally happened last week but after that, for a period of time NO ONE wanted to take action and correct what the morons in the previous government did), the education system is trash, full of imbelices and people who have nothing to do with the profession, our forests are getting smaller and smaller cause... wood is being illegally exported non stop at least since 1989, the previous government managed to successfully turn us into a joke and ruin our reputation, companies no longer want to make deals with us because we don't inspire trust, the economy is on its knees, and so and so on. We've got no one to rely on but ourselves.

So, I can understand how living in such conditions feels like, albeit slightly less extreme. Hang in there.

Fucking hell that sounds horrible!

I hope you stay safe, it's gonna get better. That's really all i can say sadly, I was completly unaware of this.

I was watching the situation in Chile for the past days via the news, here also the attack of Turkey on the Kurds and the violent demonstrations in Barcelona are a topic. Stay save out there...

Stay safe mate. It's moments like this that I'm glad that the Dutch public news broadcasts are pretty good, because they've been reporting on and explaining the situation very well.

In a perfect scenario, everything will work out fine, and you guys get to drag the cops and military and politicians all the way to the Netherlands. Let them sit in a Den Hague jail for crimes against humanity.

It seems like every time there's a problem and people go to the streets and speak up, politicians either ignore everyone altogether, or make changes that, while seemingly good on first glance, end up being worse than what we already had.

The minimum legal salary is so low that it's just barely enough for someone to scrap by (maybe not even that), and the average salary isn't much higher. Old people's pensions are often about a third of the miminum salary, literally not enough to survive. Public health care is shit. Pretty much all of the country has been sold to international companies, I mean, they even started to export fucking water. You know, that resource that's incredibly valuable and we should probably save for later?

Sounds like America!

All jokes aside, keep safe. Sounds pretty dangerous...

@KVELLERRemember that military in '73 had orders to shoot on sight. Still, it's unacceptable that military AND the police shoots people for whatever reason in these times. Heck, even they are stealing electronic things.....like, cmon....

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

The modern international world order has been teetering on the brink of collapse since 2016.

The Soviet Union fell in 1991, Yugoslavia soon after, the UN was made irrelevant in 2003, 2011 saw the Arab Spring, the annexation of Crimea in 2014 broke the post-war taboo on landgrabs (by countries other than Israel)...

Meanwhile, there are also ongoing massive demonstration in Lebanon, Algeria, Hong Kong...

I'm in one of the calmer cities, the worst that has happened is sacking of retail stores and calls to burn both the city hall and the concrete factory, in both cases the army sent units to protect the perimeter and (as far as i know at least) they haven't shot anyone yet.

The big advantage we have in Chile over places like Hong Kong is that we aren't disconnected from global internet, dozens of videos are recorded and uploaded on social media, and even though they are trying to censor them (Twitter has been found to remove hashtags related to this from global tendencies even though they have more tweets than literally everything else, and tweets are being deleted left and right) people still compile them into torrents and file hosting folders.

One such example: Google Drive link, Viewer discretion is advised, content includes police/military brutality.

To my fellow Chileans, stay safe, to the rest of the world, please don't let these files die.

Man, I'm from Argentina and the economic reality is the same, the fact is that every 4 years people vote for the same political parties since the big bang so I think we deserve this shit.

10 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

Damn bro, having your own government turn against you is honestly the most horrifying situation I can imagine

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of countries where the authorities don't give a damn about the commonfolk. The difference is how obvious it is at first glance. There's no need to use lethal force if the cattle are calm.

4 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

Man, I'm from Argentina and the economic reality is the same, the fact is that every 4 years people vote for the same political parties since the big bang so I think we deserve this shit.

That sucks :/ I don't understand how some people can be so damn stupid when voting. It's the same with us. Our president is a moron, but everyone knew that well before the elections (he had already been the president once), yet he still got elected a second time. "If we don't vote for him, we'll be like in Venezuela!" some said, because of course, we're in paradise right now.

7 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of countries where the authorities don't give a damn about the commonfolk. The difference is how obvious it is at first glance. There's no need to use lethal force if the cattle are calm.

That sucks :/ I don't understand how some people can be so damn stupid when voting. It's the same with us. Our president is a moron, but everyone knew that well before the elections (he had already been the president once), yet he still got elected a second time. "If we don't vote for him, we'll be like in Venezuela!" some said, because of course, we're in paradise right now.

Second time? Damn... we have elections next sunday and the two main candidates are a ticket to hell, one of the two will win so I don't expect any good for the next years, the problem with our region is a cultural one.

56 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

So stupid that we voted (I don't vote btw) twice for an incompetent woman and twice for a clown that's leading our country. Looks like we won't learn...

And also......who's available to be more competent than the shit that we have anyway??? All are the fucking same!!!

They should change Chile's name to Pinochet with how things have been going there.

Hope things take a turn for the better, dude.

dunno what to say (and i feel somewhat stupid for putting "like" to your OP, because i absolutely don't like such things, but there is no "hold on, dude!" icon). i am from ukraine, we had two revolts here recently (one quite peaceful, and one... isn't), so i should have something to say, but i haven't. just... hold on, and don't give up.

Really horrible, stay safe Chilean doomers!

Even supposedly civilized countries like Sweden are getting weird.  The far-right Sweden Democrats are nearly the largest political party now :( 

I saw some of what you’re talking about online. Can’t imagine trying to live through that. 
I hope it ends soon for you and you can back to some sort of normality. 
Stay Safe my friend.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, incel said:

All I can say is that violence is the only solution and that's why each and every country needs a 2nd amendment.

I know that the current situation is very political and so can't use the "try to not be so political" excuse, but man, you could have been much more subtle and less in-your-face about using the current state of affairs as propaganda of your beliefs and ideals.