Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

209 transfer heights swimmable color liquid not working under 3D bridge.

Question

I'm using 209 transfer heights for some nukage sectors and set to swimmable and lower texture GRNMAP.   When I add a 3D bridge to a couple sectors it disables the GRNMAP and swimmability for them.  So everything seems fine until you go under a bridge and the color changes to normal and you drop to the bottom with gravity until you go out from underneath the bridge.   I see one of my maps from 2012 with water and a light blue colormapping I tried to compensate with blue colored lighting underneath some docks, but it doesn't look quite the same and swimmability is still missing.   I suppose I could fix the swimmability with transferring another 3D sector with opaqueness 0 to be totally invisible and have it swimmable.   That will still be missing the GRNMAP though.

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the answers.   Was wondering if there was a straight forward way and if I was just messing something up.   Will definitely keep Kappes Buur's instructions handy as well as Simomarchi's tips.

I should get into UDMF sometime but for now I devised a convoluted solution giving nearly exactly what I want in Doom 2 Hexen format except that it requires Hardware mode.   So I have more work to do to come up with something resembling this working in Software mode.  Got some ideas in mind.

Here's my solution using height transfers and 3D floors simultaneously: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4qznmp1jadptxjh/liquidbridgeGL.zip/file

Had to ditch use of Grnmap as I couldn't get the greens to match.   Set all the same color and fade to a couple tag #'s with a script.   One sector had to be set with the color but not the fade, while two got color and fade.

EDIT:  OOPS!!  It's only Zandronum hardware mode or older GZDoom compatible.  Not working right in GZDoom 4.1.3. (It works fine in FreeDoom for Android based on an older GZDoom, or the GZDoom v3.2.5 or v1.9.1 in Delta Touch.)

EDIT EDIT:  OK, here's a version totally ditching transfer heights and using entirely type 160 transfer 3D floors like Kappes Buur suggested but with everything I wanted and Zandronum (and probably any ZDoom) software or hardware modes compatible and GZDoom 4.1.3 compatible. http://www.mediafire.com/file/qdpnzgze43y4p26/liquidbridge.zip/file

Well not ZDoomdos.exe compatible but as far as recent ZDooms go...

Edited by Gokuma

3 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I'm using 209 transfer heights for some nukage sectors and set to swimmable and lower texture GRNMAP.   When I add a 3D bridge to a couple sectors it disables the GRNMAP and swimmability for them.  So everything seems fine until you go under a bridge and the color changes to normal and you drop to the bottom with gravity until you go out from underneath the bridge.   I see one of my maps from 2012 with water and a light blue colormapping I tried to compensate with blue colored lighting underneath some docks, but it doesn't look quite the same and swimmability is still missing.   I suppose I could fix the swimmability with transferring another 3D sector with opaqueness 0 to be totally invisible and have it swimmable.   That will still be missing the GRNMAP though.

This is a perfect scenario to convert your map to UDMF.

Make both, the nukage sector and the bridge, to be controlled by 160 sectors. Then give the 3D bridge and the nukage sector their own ID numbers, so that the bridge sector has both ids. For example:

8jnZvnK.jpg

and then give the nukage 3D sector the appropriate colours

zTKH7P3.jpg

Well, ok, I used the lava texture, but you get the idea:

L0BEwh3.png

A sector can't be a 3D floor and swimmable using transfer heights at the same time. If you want to make a bridge with swimmable water under it you have to use the method that kappes buur suggested. 

Keep in mind that probably your underwater environment will still miss the colormap, but there is a simple option in action 160 that allows you to use the GZDoom fog inside of it.

9 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I'm using 209 transfer heights for some nukage sectors and set to swimmable and lower texture GRNMAP.   When I add a 3D bridge to a couple sectors it disables the GRNMAP and swimmability for them.

Yes, height transfers and 3D floors are not compatible so you can't use both effects in the same sector.