Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

Y'know, it's fun to see all those reactions while they're still coming, in a month at best no one will care about Doom Annihilation anymore.

seed, I can’t wait honestly. So sick of the endless wave of empty headed fucks saying “dis movie r bad cuz wahmen” on YouTube. I saw a dude with an MS paint possum avatar rambling nonsense about feminism and “the left” being why this movie sucked. This movie was ass gravy but you must have brain damage to think it’s “cuz women”. The movie was bad because it was fucking boring. These people have created such a nonsensical political boogeyman for themselves that they now view the whole world through that lens. Sad!

People were loving this video too, loads of thumbs up and people acting like Ess Jay Dubyas are the worst threat the world currently faces. These same people band together to complain about identity politics, by the way. The irony is not lost on me.

I’m tired of the defenders too though, this movie was lame as heck. Maybe it was more accurate to the source material.. technically, kinda sorta, but that doesn’t save it from being boring as hell. Regardless which one has a script more accurate to Doom (a game with no script) the 2005 film was a far more entertaining piece of cinema. And it sucked too.

Edited by Doomkid

7 hours ago, Quasar said:

Anybody who thinks the 2005 movie was a good Doom movie is automatically invalidated and deserves no consideration.

They're both terrible. Doesn't mean they weren't fun.

50 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

So sick of the endless wave of empty headed fucks saying “dis movie r bad cuz wahmen” on YouTube.

Can you link to a couple? I've watched some reviews but aside from maybe two kinda sorta saying that yeah, pity there wasn't a Doomguy, literally not a single one was like "wahmen ruined it". There were also some criticizing that the lead actress looks physically weak, but that's not really against women - it's against a miscast actress, kinda like you wouldn't cast Jerry Seinfeld in a role tailored for Stallone.

You'll have to forgive me for not archiving them, lol. I don't make a habit of saving videos I don't like, but this was the last one I bothered with. I mean, it's okay, but the little tirade at 6:40ish about how the Doomguy is "unapologetically toxically masculine" and doesn't have anything against Trump or whatever is some weird-ass political projection.. He made decent points about the costumes and visual effects being lame but hearing someone projecting their own political sensibilities onto a famous-yet-minimalistic character like the Doomguy is just total cringe, even more cringe than the film itself. At that point I clicked away from the video because I already know why the movie was bad, I don't need someone else to also tell me why it was bad while also doing this weird political projection shit.

The comments too, man.. The comments.. I'm going to go ahead and spoiler the rest of this post for those who don't care, but man they're dumb

dumbs.png.b2f53793b0981eeededfc435a290c474.png

I make the mistake of hopping on sites like Twitter and Reddit every few days too where you can get overwhelmed by awful takes, so maybe the number of commenters themselves makes it seem worse than it is. There's just an irony to people who live and breathe identity politics, who not only have the gall to complain constantly about identity politics while engaging in it so heavily, but actually can't see beyond it to the actual reasons this film was bad.

I saw the same shit with the Ghostbusters film that one dude above mentioned, 90% of the talks about it were either idiots saying "bad cuz girls" or "good cuz girls" with so little attention paid to the film itself. I mean, look at that moron going on about how "every leftist thinks it was a masterpiece". What an absolute load of bullshit - and you just know he knows it's bullshit, but he's getting a chance to virtue signal his political identity to like-minded peers. I'm pretty far left leaning and I thought Ghostbusters 3 was awful. The difference is that I didn't think it was awful because my fragile manhood and sexuality were threatened (rofl) but because the comedy was fucking dog shit. The gender of the characters mattered not one iota.

If some piece of media really does suck because of it's politics - fine. But so many things get unfairly lumped in with the "bad cuz woke" bullshit when really, the "woke" aspect (hate that word) isn't even the worst part about the movie by a long shot. Captain Marvel was painfully dull but once again this army of people who are scared of chicks attributed it to the lead actress not being a dude. I mean, let's just be frank for a minute - If someone watched that whole snoozefest (I literally fell asleep halfway through) and the biggest gripe they had was the films "wokeness", they're a few fries short of a happy meal. I can't think of a nicer way to put it. Apolitical things have become so needlessly politicized by so many popular social media figures and the effects it's having on our culture are weird and dumb.

Edited by Doomkid

25 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

about how the Doomguy is "unapologetically toxically masculine"

Of course I didn't watch the other part, but this sentence is definitely one of the "click x" moment for me for sure... BTW, I didn't know the movies came out (like 20 days ago...). I should definitely watch it.

46 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

You'll have to forgive me for not archiving them, lol.

Ok, I'll give you that one, I think aggression in Doom doesn't have anything to do with gender just like tomb raiding in (original) Tomb Raider doesn't have anything to do with Lara being a woman. She so happens to be. And she's a great character.

I actually liked the actress but, as I said, I'd like to see her work out a bit for the part. I was SHOCKED to learn she's my age because she looks 15 years younger.

On the other hand, I'll admit there are games where I can't imaging playing as the other gender - like Alien Isolation, where it just wouldn't work with a guy.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

rambling nonsense about feminism and “the left” being why this movie sucked.

Oh, you mean those retards who see SJWs, leftists, feminists (ah, no, wait, even better, "feminazis"), and a million types of enemies everywhere?

They're fun to watch. Until you realize they're actually being serious and they have the right to vote and reproduce...

13 minutes ago, Szuran said:

Ok, I'll give you that one, I think aggression in Doom doesn't have anything to do with gender just like tomb raiding in (original) Tomb Raider doesn't have anything to do with Lara being a woman. She so happens to be. And she's a great character.

Sometimes people just went too far about games IMO. Probably these YT celebrities (if this is one) tend to make debatable things so they can gain more views, not sure though.

i guess its time i talk about my thoughts.

It's a deeply enjoyable, creative B-Movie, and if you think the b-movie doesnt belong inside the doom brand, I have a feeling you haven't been particularly active with the property until the 2016 release....

I like it...I've liked every single official doom branded release, and I liked this one, too. I'm sorry, okay? The doom novels are creative and funny, Doom 3 is amazing, the doom comic is valuable in its absurd unique-ness, the Rock's doom movie is fascinating as a project and solid as a time-killer, and this movie was a lot of those things, all at once. Creative, fun, interesting as a project, a solid time killer.

There's passion put into this and the execution more or less carries its own weight. It's the doom movie the fan's deserved, and I meant that with every connotation it might sound like it has. I loved my time with it, I intend to see it more than once, etc.

I have a lot to say about the topic of doom and masculinity, but it doesn't belong in this thread, and the movie really isn't about it.

3 hours ago, EtherBot said:

It's a deeply enjoyable, creative B-Movie, and if you think the b-movie doesnt belong inside the doom brand...

Calling it a "creative b-movie" is a disgrace to Evil Dead, Tremors, They Live, Iron Sky, Sharkanado...

Doom: Annihilation is a zero-movie, a movie you expect a group of C-grade film students to make on the weekend for the assignment. It's creatively bankrupt and imaginatively sterile.

2 hours ago, incel said:

Calling it a "creative b-movie" is a disgrace to Evil Dead, Tremors, They Live, Iron Sky, Sharkanado...

Doom: Annihilation is a zero-movie, a movie you expect a group of C-grade film students to make on the weekend for the assignment. It's creatively bankrupt and imaginatively sterile.

Its impressive you can use such pointed language, but I'm not sure your rebuttal necessarily beckons a reply. If you found the movie "creatively bankrupt" you're entitled to your perspective. I disagree, though.

47 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

Its impressive you can use such pointed language, but I'm not sure your rebuttal necessarily beckons a reply. If you found the movie "creatively bankrupt" you're entitled to your perspective. I disagree, though.

But that's the thing, Doom Annihilation isn't creative. It lifts entire scenes from different movies. It doesn't hold any surprises, it doesn't even try to break out of the mold. It has setups without payoffs. It has the boringest cinematography ever with the only way to place camera being at eye level, which results in stunningly flat shots.

You can make an action movie having no money at all. Evil Dead has lots of dynamic action despite being shot over a long time by basically students. But they knew how to use the camera. Romero's first two Of the Dead movies were dirt cheap but they didn't feel cheap because they were stylish. And if a counterargument is "but this is set on Mars, you need monsters, props etc., this costs money" - they had ENOUGH money. I actually think the sets are better than these flat walls in Doom 2005, which felt like shot in my basement. The problem is that D:A's sets were photographed without an ounce of creativity. Find an interesting angle, change the color of lighting, add smoke - do whatever to make it feel less flat.

Doom Annihilation IS creatively bankrup on both story and production level.

Still, it's watchable, because it's at least coherent, which I can't say about many big and costly movies.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:25 AM, Quasar said:

Anybody who thinks the 2005 movie was a good Doom movie is automatically invalidated and deserves no consideration.

I wouldn't say that Doom 2005 is a bad movie, minus rock obviously, he sucks as actor, it's just not a Doom movie to begin with, but as stand alone thing it's... well, okay maybe. After all, it got it's fun moments too.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:11 AM, Szuran said:

Doom Annihilation IS creatively bankrup on both story and production level.

but maybe its silly to just copy paste all my replies

I think its weird that you point out evil dead has lots of dynamic action as if to contrast against this, which....also has lots of dynamic action?

Not much else to say. I don't find conversations about other people's art being bad to be very productive.

I guess I will also say I don't say "Creative" to mean "Original" and they dont necessarily mean the same thing. If you want to argue against that term I'll put "cute" in, instead. I found the movie to be an enjoyable, cute b-movie.

3 hours ago, EtherBot said:

I think its weird that you point out evil dead has lots of dynamic action as if to contrast against this, which....also has lots of dynamic action? 

D:A has action, but is it dynamic? Barely. If you think this is a worthwhile conversation, I can get into it and make a detailed comparison of action direction in these two, but please warn me if it's going to end with "it's just your opinion" - then I'd rather not. Yes, everything is an opinion, these opinions clashing form a conversation and that's why forums are for.

1 hour ago, Szuran said:

If you think this is a worthwhile conversation

4 hours ago, EtherBot said:

I don't find conversations about other people's art being bad to be very productive.

I would love to write a long review about the movie. But ultimately, I just found it dull. Even though it was more faithful to Doom than the 2005 movie. I thought the 2005 movie was better as a film.

5 hours ago, EtherBot said:

I don't find conversations about other people's art being bad to be very productive.

Indeed. I suggest lining all critics up and shooting them. Why criticize anything? Everything is always good! Everyone gets a medal!

7 minutes ago, Rastrelly said:

Indeed. I suggest lining all critics up and shooting them. Why criticize anything? Everything is always good! Everyone gets a medal!

Clearly what we have here is a very fair, accurate understanding of my viewpoint.

1 hour ago, EtherBot said:

Clearly what we have here is a very fair, accurate understanding of my viewpoint.

I don't give a damn about your viewpoint. I cannot read your mind. You said what you said. And you said:

This can be interpreted in not too many ways, doesn't it?

Doom Annihilation is objectively bad. It is poorly acted by any standard. It does not improve upon the formula from Doom 2005. It, in fact, re-uses it to a poorer effect. It has more nods to the games, but that does not improve any of cinematographic qualities of the movie. Low budget is in no way a justification to poor writing: quality over quantity was not cancelled yet, AFAIK, and this movie ignores this rule. Instead of developing characters, it spends time on slow and unimpressive slasher flick in first hour, than switches to some variation on Aliens, than makes its mega-twist (?), than Hell sequence. Tarkovsky's Solaris or Stalker probably cost quarter of this movie, yet they are referenced and respected as masterpieces of cinema. 2001 manages to reach levels of suspense and tension beyond anything you can think of while using - what? - basically five areas and three characters? What emotions does this movie evoke? What new philosophical horizons does it open? What artistic choices behind it will be researched and remembered decades and decades in the future? You liked this flick? Great, you're lucky. But liking something does not make it good. They could build an existential drama, an experimental gorefest, a gothic horror, a cyberpunk thriller, whatever they wanted, yet all they could do is ripping off a Resident Evil ripoff and covering it with Doom easter eggs.

3 minutes ago, Rastrelly said:

I don't give a damn about your viewpoint.

And yet you found it necessary to comment on it anyway.

4 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

And yet you found it necessary to comment on it anyway.

I give a damn about facts and valid criticism, as well as its reception. I give a damn about you trying to pressure other people with your precious "viewpoint" while ignoring objective reality. Now please proceed to ignore list.

4 minutes ago, Rastrelly said:

I give a damn about facts and valid criticism, as well as its reception. I give a damn about you trying to pressure other people with your precious "viewpoint" while ignoring objective reality. Now please proceed to ignore list.

I'm not really sure what to tell you, man. Please give me some examples of my "pressuring other people with my viewpoint?"

my initial response was "...you're entitled to your perspective. I disagree, though." Hardly a call to action for somebody to agree with me...

@EtherBot for someone who doesn't give a crap and don't want to discuss art you reply very often in a thead for criticizing a piece of art.

26 minutes ago, Szuran said:

@EtherBot for someone who doesn't give a crap and don't want to discuss art you reply very often in a thead for criticizing a piece of art.

You didn't address my point but whatever.... Idk you set yourself up for a "for someone who put me in their ignore list you definitely still responded to me" but that feels petty I guess.' I'll honest dude. IDK what your problem is with me

Edit: ah my mistake szuran. Mistook you for rastrelly, what with your comment being weirdly accusatory and obtuse.

31 minutes ago, Szuran said:

My replies in this thread are responses to statements directed at me.... Idk if you have beef with me for some reason, I thought our exchange was fine and ended well.

If nothing else I'm glad that Mr. Giglio got to do this. It's far from ideal (and I'm sure he had bigger ideas in mind), and Universal clearly held back way too much on the budget, but it's finished and it works, more or less. I'm still kind of saddened by how little the studio cared about allowing this to be a more ambitious project.