Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Losing Doom...

Hello fellow doomers-

As of late, something's been going on - I almost feel as if I'm losing the will to even play doom, nevermind edit it. Do I need inspiration or motivation? Perhaps...

Ah, the times pass and pass, I don't know exactly why I feel this way, but if somebody doesn't stop me, I'm quitting doom - period.

Happy Holidays,
-Black Void

My advice: Take a several months break from Doom - play something else in this time.
I'm sure that at one point you will feel like playing Doom again.
I know it works for me - I have a few periods where I don't feel like playing Doom and therefore I play everything else until I feel like firing up good ol' Doom again and then I'm blown away, realizing that I had forgotten how cool Doom is.

It never fails - at least not with me.

You've just played a great ZDoom episode...if that can't inspire you to keep DooMing (and to finish your CC map - you are going to finish that, aren't you?), I don't know what can...

edit: dsm's right as well - I've played nothing but DooM since I started making my ZDoom wad, but I'm playing Unreal now, and I'm glad for it, as it feels refreshing to play something different, and I shall be ready to start my next ZDoom project in the New Year.

I used SLIGE + JDoom to keep the replayability level up. Try the megawads like Hell Revealed and Requiem, they'll keep you busy.

I agree with dsm, take a break. You'll probably find after a month you're itching to play again, I do after just a week or two normally.

I generally find that playing some 1337 new game renews my enthusiasm for Doom very quickly.

Maybe your brain needs repairing. I've been playing/editing the game for years, i've found without it my reality begins to crumble and i can't function. The only adice i can give is to take a little break. I find playing Doom on another platform helps my creativity, like Sega Saturn.

2 solutions:

-Take a break, and play another great game, like Metroid Prime.

-Play a really great wad that's an all out rush to play. Alien Vandetta always gets me in the mood to play Doom. :P

Well - I'm probably going to finish up my CC map during Christmas break and then I'll be back in the doom community 2 months after that - only problem with doing that, is I'll be behind in the editing system; my maps will become crap and I won't know the modern source port tricks - ah well - maybe I just need this vacation...

Edit - Thanks all, who have given me good advice.

As has been stated, go play a new game when Doom doesn't turn you on anymore, you will feel the urge to play it pretty soon. I've been playing Quake here as of late, and strangely I feel like playing Doom again.

I'd say listen to everyone's advice, but I think that's already been established. Giving Doom a break is a good idea, then about a few days/weeks later, you'll be coming back for Doom, trust me. :p

well congratulations. hopefully you havent wasted too much of your life, now i suggest you attempt to get one.

jon^c said:

well congratulations. hopefully you havent wasted too much of your life, now i suggest you attempt to get one.

Nah, Having no life gives me a legit excuse to stay in my room all day playing games. :D

doesnt that anger you that you serve no purpose to society whatsoever? that you are destined to die having accomplished nothing significant at all?

Doesnt bother me. Dude, I'm just one insignificant little person among a world of others, why must I be such a heretic to the way of not taking control? I have too many burdens as is, I dont need more from Society.

gatewatcher said:

Or you're a poser...

Shhhh, Super hush hush ;P

[Ontopicforonce]: Some good wads may charge yer Mojo for teh Doom. Perhaps if that dont tickle your fancy, then try taking a break from it like suggested, I myself havent tried it, but thats cause I cant get bored of Doom, even if I tried, which I wont. :D

BigBadGangsta said:

/me glares at gatewatcher
What did Julian tell you?

All work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy. :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

All work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy, all work no play make Gatewatcher a dull boy. :D

Shut now, kbye. Christ.

jon^c said:

doesnt that anger you that you serve no purpose to society whatsoever? that you are destined to die having accomplished nothing significant at all?

So, what's your purpose in life?

jon^c said:

at least it's better then fucking up society more.