Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

quake

yes, we know this is a doom forum, but johnathan is greatly influenced by trent reznor and nine inch nails and loved his work on quake, and hopes that his work on doom iii will be great. what he wants to ask is this: anyone know where he can get the guitar tabliture for the quake 1 music? thanks.

I think Trent left the DoomIII scene. Just crank up the distortion and everything will sound like Quake.

we're mainly keyboardists, not guitarists. plus we've only been playing the guitar one year, five months, and although we write regularly, we're not skilled yet. on a rpg level scale, we're about a ten. mebbe. reznor's music is strange the way he manipulates all the sounds. in our opinion he's one of the greatest artist ever. we just need to know specifics, like tunings, chords, what note to start on, et cetera. usually we can figure it out. but you never know with some of his stuff.

reznor's not working on doom iii? well, we can't have everything, can we? wonder what happened to bobby prince.

It is presently not known whether Trent is working for Doom 3, but things point at him only working part time on it.

At any rate he has done some stuff for it, so it's not like he's completely out of the project.

if you cant figure out quake music you dont deserve to play guitar.

Thankfully I don't play guitar - I can't for the world of me figure out why some people think that Quake 1's music is cool, but leave that be. It has been discussed over and over again and never led anywhere.

Ct_red_pants said:

heh. I'm sereprised no-ones took a stap at quake yet...

Been there done that. We've discussed Quake's weaknesses and pros countless times before so we're getting tired of that old discussion - that's why we don't provoke forth the discussion again.

But someone's bound to come by and start it once again...

The closest thing to music in Quake that I know of is when you're watching that first demo (starting out in Necropolis). I think it's track 3 on the CD.

Ichor said:

The closest thing to music in Quake that I know of is when you're watching that first demo (starting out in Necropolis). I think it's track 3 on the CD.

What about the theme? It starts out sounding pretty much like some wretched form of homemade music to my ears, before it goes into some weird humming that doesn't sound like music anymore.

The Quake music is - to my ears - excellent. Layered ambience, dark, pulsing rythms and eerie sounds (crying babies, etc) left me chilled. The sound effects themselves felt a little muted, but once again music was perfect.

Spike said:
Layered ambience, dark, pulsing rythms and eerie sounds (crying babies, etc) left me chilled.

Crying babies??? I've never heard any crying babies on the Quake cd - only somebody screaming in the theme song (probably Reznor himself). Which version do you own? What track is it?

monochrome said:

wonder what happened to bobby prince.

Yeah, whatever did happen to Bobby Prince? Does he still make game music or what? I loved what he did for Doom, Wolf3d, Duke3d, Rott, and Demon Star. Be kind of cool if he helped with Doom 3, or if they did music like he did for the original two Dooms.

I can't stand Quake 1 music. Then again, I'm not too much of an NIN fan. I respect Reznor for his knowledge of electronic synthesizers, though. Who did the Q2 soundtrack, btw? I heard Rob Zombie did one of the tracks. I freekin love tracks 7 and 9.

ravage said:

Personally, I'd rather listen to the Quake2 soundtracks. :P

Yes. The Quake 2 soundtrack is absolutely awesome. In my opinion of course.
EDIT: Sonic Mayhem did the Quake 2 music. And apparently Rob Zombie did the theme song.

Quake 2's music is great music to listen to and in some areas it supports the game perfectly, but in most areas an ambient track would've been better.

Still, the beginning is absolutely awesome with the kickass track 08 pumping in the background with all those Strogg spacecraft soaring past over your head - great feel.

Track 2, track 3 and track 4 (hall of souls) are the only songs with music in them at all. track 6 (parallel dimensions) has rythm, but no music. I dont think anyone put up tabs for them, youd have to take a music theory course and figure it out yourself