Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forli

Redundancy, a boom compatible megawad (NaNoWADMo 2019)(On Idgames)

Just started this. I wanna give you a high-five for using NIN's "Dead Souls"... I love you. Excited to play through this, it looks really promising! Congrats on filling out an entire megawad over the course of October!   

I had a go tonight - here's my attempt at the first "episode"... with a lot of resurrecting :) It's incredible that you were able to produce maps of this length with very creative encounters and architecture, going at a rate of one a day - especially as you chose to make life far more difficult for yourself by having to come up with two routes through each one!

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

http://bit.ly/sendlawyers
https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2

Well it's actually just 30 maps, I didn't make the secret maps. I had set my aim at 30 to make it a bit more doable and by the end I was exhausted and didn't have an idea for what to do for the secret maps... I'm considering doing 2 maps later outside of nanowadmo, so the fact that they are not speedmaps is the thing that would make them special as secret maps, but that may drag down the "purity" of the wad so I don't know :S.

Also, thanks to everyone who has already started playing, I hope you enjoy the rest of the wad.

And @DavidN don't feel bad about the resurrecting, this is supposed to be challenging, specially that last fight on map 6.

9 hours ago, Forli said:

And @DavidN don't feel bad about the resurrecting, this is supposed to be challenging, specially that last fight on map 6.

Hah, thank you :) I'm curious, though, for the sake of my getting better at Doom - what kind of approach should I be using to get through that large fight? I knew I had to fight my way to the exit, but I had no idea how to do that without getting immediately boxed in and dying.

Just making them infight and then getting away to some empty corner while they are busy (I tried to make it so that going directly to the exit would get you killed).

A way that works for me is: shoot a few rockets at the revenants while going to the center room, then run around the center pillar while avoiding the enemies and shooting rockets at the arachnotrons since their size can block you if you let them come out, then when most of the monsters are near the center and start infighting, break out into the room that seems to have less monsters in the way, from there it becomes a lot easier to avoid damage so it doesn't matter if you lost most of your health getting to that point.

Noisy velvet also did a fda if you want to watch that.

I've only completed a few levels, but these are very good maps. I also really love the names as they fit the theme of the map pack very well. The secrets (at least in the first few levels) are very basic and obvious, but you made 30 maps within a month so I can understand; they also don't really hurt the overall quality of the map set at all. With a bit of polishing I think this WAD can become a classic.

Played through it, neat idea, many map concepts work well though MAP07 is quite tedious. No real thing bugs to find so that makes things much better.

I updated the wad with graphics for the level names and a titlepic.

I could not think of a good idea for a titlepic so I took a screenshot of a bunch of redundant keys.

Spoiler

YKuAh5m.png

19 hours ago, Forli said:

I updated the wad with graphics for the level names and a titlepic.

I could not think of a good idea for a titlepic so I took a screenshot of a bunch of redundant keys.

Hide contents

YKuAh5m.png

Suggestion: put the title of the megawad at the bottom of that pic as well.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Suggestion: put the title of the megawad at the bottom of that pic as well.

Done it, I wonder why I didn't think of that myself.

Also I decided to make those secret maps after all, I'll start working on them now.

I added map 31, also map 15 now has a secret exit.

Spoiler

7ZwYWGr.png

y0HUGjt.png

wpUllRA.png

Map 32 should not take long, after that I'll upload this to idgames if nobody finds anything wrong.

Map 32 is done.

Spoiler

jHBkyAe.png

yfCGGf4.png

o2UYgGU.png

Ans now the wad is complete, if anyone found any issues please tell me.