Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is the first fps game you have played?

12 hours ago, Jello said:

Curse of the Catacombs. Back when it was new. I really don't know why my mom thought it would be acceptable, and I didn't ask for it. Just came home from school one day and "Hey, I bought you a computer game". Which was nice, had quite a bit of fun with it. The only part I didn't like about it was killing the were-rabbits, because I really liked rabbits.

My children had the exact same issue with that game, when they were recently play testing my source port. They enjoyed shooting at zombies and skeletons, but harming rabbits was a no-go. I had to use the warp cheat to skip that particular level.

Wolfenstein 3D on IBM 286 - it was super awesome, incredible experience. In 90s loved Wolf 3D way more than Doom.

I think my first FPS was on the Mac, either Spectre or shareware Wolfenstein 3D. It was junior high and there were only a few Macs in the computer lab that these games were installed into, so it was always a mad dash to get a seat for one of them.

MacWolf looked really good overall, so much so that when I played PC Wolf 3D later I was pretty disappointed. Then later on, I discovered all the enemies in MacWolf only had sprites facing you so they had this strange zig-zag strafing approach.

Spectre was this cyberpunk-esque Battlezone clone where you went around shooting low-poly tanks and grabbing their flags. I liked how I could adjust the tank's stats (speed, armor, ammo) and use a teleporter if things got too heated. I did like it enough to buy the sequel on PC.

When my family and I went to CompUSA to buy our first computer, I futzed around with the display Macs. I remember playing this FPS that was set in space and forced the player to reload his guns every so often after running out. I found out later it was the first Marathon game. Good game, but I can live without its floaty physics. That trip was also the first time I was introduced to Doom II, via the display PCs and the cardboard Cyberdemon display with copies nestled within.

Doom.

The second FPS I played after that was Rise of the Triad. Whenever Doom got too scary, I'd play Rise of the Triad. So I was quite surprised as I got older, that Rise of the Triad is actually technologically behind compared to Doom. To my childhood self, it seemed like Rise of the Triad was newer, more advanced.

If it wasn't something on SNES (idk what it would have been on SNES but i'm sure it wasn't Doom or Wolf as those probably would of been considered to violent for a 5 yr old me lol) i can only think of GoldenEye 007 on the N64 as probably being my first. Not a bad game console game to start with imo.

Terminator:Rampage was another early FPS I liked a lot in the 90's. It had similar limitations to Wolf3d but there were floor/ceiling textures and an automap, and more weapons with multiple ammo types etc. The player character was infiltrating an office building with a secret lab underneath it, and as you progressed further you ended up fighting terminator robots and stuff, so that was pretty sweet.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, Arno said:

Wolfenstein 3D on a 486DX.

very nice profile picture... I think my first FPS might have been the catacomb abyss back in 1994 (the game launched in 1991) :)

I did eventually beat the very originally named big bad (Nemesis)

3 hours ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Star wars battlefront but honestly, dont remember which one. Possibly the first

i hope you're not taking about the one from ea

Funny thing is while Doom wasn't the first FPS I played, it was the first FPS I watched someone playing however my memory makes me think they were playing Plutonia on the Aztec level.

Edited by Avoozl

On 11/3/2019 at 4:12 AM, Eurisko said:

Zero Tolerance for the Mega Drive. A technological marvel for its day.

Thank you. I totally forgot about this game xD

My first was Doom at some friend of my parents house back in probably 94. Then I got it at home in 96 with Doom II as a birthday gift. Here I am about 23 years later still playing :)

I have no idea if anyone even knows what this is but Geist for the GameCube. I was always into paranormal stuff and Geist is pretty good imo. It's kind of goofy now that I'm older but I still have great memories

This.

At school the other kids were raving about Wolfenstein 3D and its cool graphics and slaughtering tons of Nazis and that seemed like fun; so when I saw this advertized as a "Wolfenstein 3D clone" I grabbed it; and learned to be very disappointed by the word "clone".

Ironically, Doom was released not too long after, so I only ended up getting my hands on a copy of the Wolf 3D shareware episode after having played Doom and Heretic shareware.