Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

DeHacked Ambient Sounds?

Question

What is the best and most proper way of creating ambient sounds in DeHacked?

I know of making the Commander Keen constantly play a constant ambient sound but can you do that with other objects?

I also know you can have an object that plays a sound when it sees you, but when I try to do that it keeps playing when I only want it to play once and only once.

I want to have both constant ambient sounds and sound effects that play only once using DeHacked magic on different things like a hanging body or even an arachnotron if I have to.

5 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

but when I try to do that it keeps playing when I only want it to play once and only once.

does this happen even if you set the Next frame to be frame 0 (after whatever frame that plays a sound)? I haven't tried it myself but I'd think that if you make the sound-producing thing's last frame's Next be 0, the thing should disappear from existence and therefore not play any more sound

For the one that plays a sound only once, can't you set it's alert noise to the sound you want, start it in a look state, and then have it enter a chase state with 0 speed?

For the constant sound one you could use a looping scream state, I guess? Never tried it.

I have this test example of a working commander keen continuous sound. But the HangTNoBrain (HangingBody6) won't play any sound which is supposed to only play once.

I tried to replicate the keen with a mancubus and trying what you guys said but I have next to no idea what I'm doing so it didn't work.

Here's a link to my test dehacked file within a WAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/hv51ul007hd0vv6/dehaxambtest1.wad/file

The pain action plays the actor's set pain sound, so you can use that. Check the intro map for DBP16--there's a flaming barrel replacement that plays a sound on loop. (The infamous titular cyber, mid-colonoscopy.)

I like what one of the Doom Legacy creators did in his football wad+deh at

http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/wads/wads.shtml

Has an invisible demon makes sounds.

This doesn't mean you have to ruin the demon.   Simply use something unimportant or the totally unused such as "Dead Lost Soul" with map id#23.

Give it initial and moving frames of any monster.  Set it totally invisible.   Set its active and maybe sight sound to the ambient sounds you want.