Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

I'll be cloned for Christmas...

Bah, human cloning right now is not that useful a technology. The only thing you can do with it is to produce genetically identical humans. A phenomenon that has ocurred naturally for ages better known as identical twins.

One of the only scientific breakthroughs that I can imagine could be achieved with cloning is to ascertain the effect of genetic heritage in relation to hormonal influences within the womb by by making genetically identical children be carried by different mothers.

From experience with identical twins we know that genetically identical humans usually grow up to have quite different personalities. The idea that by cloning oneself one can achieve immortality can only be attributed to stupidity since it should be quite clear that the clones are totally seperate persons only sharing a genetical similarity as a trait.

I do not consider cloning unethical, but it´s effect is largely overrated by an ignorant and over-romantical public.

The Raelian are just a big bunch of loser IMHO. They said they don't force people in their religion but a few months ago, they went to a few unis and colleges to promote their religion and said that we could, right here, drop our religion to be a Raelian. Worse thing is they asked if we had religious stuff and burn it. They even wanted to burn a big Jesus IIRC. The police stopped them thankfully and it made the news the night.

Darkstalker said:

They said they don't force people in their religion (...)

Heh, not only THAT, but I think they're not gonna ask the cloned girl what she wants to be when she grows up...

Darkstalker said:
The Raelian are just a big bunch of loser IMHO. They said they don't force people in their religion but a few months ago, they went to a few unis and colleges to promote their religion and said that we could, right here, drop our religion to be a Raelian. Worse thing is they asked if we had religious stuff and burn it. They even wanted to burn a big Jesus IIRC. The police stopped them thankfully and it made the news the night.

I have always detested the destruction of holy artifacts from any religion. Idles, crucifixes, scriptures, statues, churches and temples. It’s stupid and pointless. I don’t care what fucking religion you’re from, (even more so if your not from any religion). It is the ultimate statement of arrogates, and doses nothing but inflame hatred. The minute you decide that your beliefs (or lack of beliefs) are better to the point that you can take the symbol of what a grope people stand for, and destroy it, you have declared “I am a fucking bigot that is just begging to die”.

A friend of mine burnt a bible

there's still half-burnt pages all over his yard.

anyways, there hasn't been any proof that the girl is a clone yet, only claims.

Clonefailures aside.. What really is so wrong about cloning?
It's not like you clone Hitler or Bin Laden and you get the same people. Contrary to what many believe, people's characters are shaped through childhood and by influences from other people, the environment you live in, etc. You cannot clone someone's thoughts.

If you're against cloning, which can be used as a solution for fertilityproblems, then I don't see why so many people who're against it approve other types of solutions to get rid of fertilityproblems.

IMHO, cloning technology is something we need to pursue, it's that simple.

I'm not really a physiology major here, but is cloning related to stem cell research?

I dunno.

If it is, however, another ethical problem arises:

Is it correct to breed humans for scientific purpouses? Even if the children was allowed to grow up as totally normal humans with no defects.

After all all we want from them is a tiny biopsy of stem cells (which are only available in fetuses).

Stem cell research will be the next greatest medical breakthrough as it will be the first step on the road towards making tissues and organs on demand, rather than harvesting them from unfortunate brain-dead. Also the option of creating entirely new tissue types might be tantalizingly near.

Still the problem is that we need a new fetus in order to aquire them. Fetuses who are unable to decide for themselves whether to be part of any experiments (even if the experiments is no real sacrifice for them).

If we could but find a way revert cells back to their undifferentiated form this hindrance would be out of the way (since requesting for a tiny biopsy from a willing adult is hardly unethical at all).

Still such a breakthrough would probably require studying fetal stem cells.

Sorry I hijacked the thread in the direction of stem cells rather than cloning and silly cults, but I thought this topic would be more interesting in the long run.

pritch said:

Cloning is the ultimate rape.

I agree. And at the rate technology and science is going (It actually scares me nowadays) some movies could potenially become a reality we will arrive at. Cloning? How long until someone decides to make a proverbial 'Jurrasic Park'? And I've heard tests involving a machine that thinks, and learns. Suddelny, the storyline, and foretold future from 'The Terminator' seems MUCH more plausible..

Scary thing, science is. Isn't it?

pritch said:

Cloning is the ultimate rape.

Why? People said that about genetic engineering, abortion, and back in the days about surgery too. We'll get used to it, trust me.

Heh. This guy was on TV this morning...oh wait, last night...anyhow...the aussie interviewer was drilling the shit outta him, asking all these questions, it was fucking hilarious.

And identical twins aren't clones, since they are created at the same time :P

The most stupid thing of all is that they claim to have done it, but refuse to show evidence of it. But they are protesting in Paris... bunch of hypocrites (if that's a word)...