Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Best FPS game (Aside from Doom)

If we move out of the strict (?) console/PC territory, I'd say Tokyo Wars. It was an arcade tank game with full 3D textured graphics and pretty much as close as you could get to a true 3D FPS deathmatch game in the arcades, back in 1996.

Half-Life, System Shock 2, and Quake are my favourites aside from the almighty DOOM. Honorable mentions to Fallout, Halo, F.E.A.R., and Goldeneye 007.

10 hours ago, Maes said:

If we move out of the strict (?) console/PC territory, I'd say Tokyo Wars. It was an arcade tank game with full 3D textured graphics and pretty much as close as you could get to a true 3D FPS deathmatch game in the arcades, back in 1996.

[video of Tokyo Wars]

Oh god, that brought back fond memories of family trips to Reno, Nevada in the mid-late 90s. That game kicked so much ass. I even remember one place had four machines hooked up at once and every time you fired the cannon, the entire seat would recoil back and forth.

There was also a spiritual successor called Gunmen Wars, and it had what I thought was a pretty neat gun controller. The bottom of the controller was attached to the machine and you could slide it forwards, backwards and side to side to mimic WASD, and you could pivot the gun left or right to turn in that direction. I only played it once, but I guess it made a good enough impression since I'm typing about it some 20 years later.

I'd go with Quake 1, followed closely by Soldier of Fortune 2 with the weapons mod installed. Then Postal 2 with AW7. 

It's been a while since I've played through the whole thing, but dabbling with it recently I'm inclined to lean towards Duke Nukem 3D. Production-wise it really seems like the DOOM of the Build Engine games. Very well polished compared to the others.

I've always been partial to the original Quake, so it's my personal favorite outside of the original DOOM. Using multiplayer tricks and skills in the single player keeps it fun all these years later. It's my go-to FPS when I want to just fire something up and rip through an episode or two in a short period of time.

For Doom-style run 'n gun gameplay, I put the original Painkiller up there pretty high too. I probably wouldn't call it the best of all time, but one of the best when it comes to more traditional FPS gunning.

Multiplayer shooter, easily Quake 3 Arena. Or to be nicer about it, a tie between that and UT99 (or 2K4).

I'll go with Duke. Only because I still can't decide between the classic Quake vs Unreal Tournament battle.

Honorable mention for Half-life. It was really popular at lans in my country. Lots of deathmatches with cheese strats like trip mines at tight sections and spamming snarks from a high ground. And of course the classic nuke in Crossfire map.

Half-life

Left 4 Dead 2

and i could go on but i think i consider them my favs

AH yeah I forgot Half-Life, System Shock, Deus Ex and Left 4 Dead.

Soldier of Fortune gets a mention for being one of the first games to have localized hitboxes on body-parts for damage.

Red Faction was pretty cool too, being able to tunnel through walls with rockets.

Doom II

Nah in all seriousness probably one of the Quake games or Duke Nukem 3D imo. Possibly even Wolfenstein 3D as without that game we wouldn't even have Doom or Doom II.

For me, besides Doom is S.T.A.L.K.E.R which has some RPG elements in it as well.

The Atmosphere is a big feature for me.

Heretic, Dark Forces, Quake, Hexen; Q3A and UT99 in botmatches

Descent with a good joystick full of buttons. Can't play it with keyboard and mouse, though.

If you want to consider them as FPS, you can add Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

Same comment for Portal. It's more puzzle than traditional shooting, but you do need to aim quickly and precisely so I'm gonna say it counts.

I have very fond memories of Exhumed (aka PowerSlave). I played it on my Sega Saturn back then and enjoyed it immensely due to its flawless mechanics, the egyptian theme as well as puzzle / progression oriented maps themselves. There was just something about this game and it desperately needs either a good source port or a remaster.

Runner ups are the usual suspects: Blood, Heretic, Red Faction, etc.

35 minutes ago, elend said:

There was just something about this game and it desperately needs either a good source port or a remaster.

but... Powerslave Ex...

• Any of the Half-Life games(not you, Hunt Down the Freeman)
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Gmod
  • Blood
  • TF2
  • Assault Cube

Only one other person (in my admitted skim of this thread) mentioned the original Unreal Tournament.

The rest of you, report yourselves to the hallway of ricocheting Ripper blades.

Crouching, naturally, is not allowed.

I'll dare to be different and say that, aside from Doom, my all-time fave FPS is the Amiga game Breathless. Had some RPG elements and a lot of atmosphere. Maybe it's the fog effect that got me. An Amiga emulator is all you need to play it on the PC.

Other notables;

Quake 2

RTCW

Unreal

Dark Forces

Star Trek Voyager:Elite Force

Half Life

On 11/2/2019 at 11:48 AM, Sankhatayan said:

Blood. The greatest game of all time. 

Hell yeah, best singleplayer FPS ever made.

So much love for Blood here... I just don't get it. If it wasn't for Fresh Supply allowing you to actually balance the game with the Made to Order menu, I'd suggest it's one of the less playable old FPS games out there... And the fucking Gargoyles and bats can barely get off of the ceiling! Yeah, the theme is cool, it's got plenty of great references and some interesting weapons, but it's hardly the pinnacle of FPS game mechanics.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:47 PM, ReeseJamPiece said:

What is THE best FPS of all time in your opinion? (Aside from Doom)

Mines personally is CoDMW2, it is just perfection in my opinion.

Unreal Tournament '99 / GOTY Edition  

The original Unreal is also not far behind the above.