Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechaghostman2

Has anyone turned Classic Doom into Doom 2016?

I don't mean just importing the sprites and maybe improving the textures or whatever. I mean making the maps er... roughly resemble the 2016 game. I know that the game engine has its limits. You can't have rooms on top of one another, the computer doesn't calculate a Z axis with regards to movement, and if I remember right slopes are also impossible. So obviously much of the maps would have to have some serious reworking to make it feel like the same map within the limitations of the original game engine. That said, has anyone tried it? I think it'd be pretty cool as shit.

4 hours ago, Mechaghostman2 said:

the computer doesn't calculate a Z axis with regards to movement

I don't know who keeps spreading this or why, but it's simply not true to any degree. Whomever told you this has no actual knowledge of Doom's engine. Doom does in fact have a Z axis for vertical movement, something easily observable both in gameplay and its readily available source code. 

Edited by Edward850

Nobody has remade the maps as far as I'm aware. I've never played  Doom 2016 but I've seen speedruns and I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to remake relatively accurate analogues.

There's only Doom4Vanilla which is mainly a weapon/monster replacement mod.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:19 AM, Edward850 said:

I don't know who keeps spreading this or why, but it's simply not true to any degree. Whomever told you this has no actual knowledge of Doom's engine. Doom does in fact have a Z axis for vertical movement, something easily observable both in gameplay and its readily available source code. 

2 hours ago, Mechaghostman2 said:

My job is programming old school engines, including Doom's (Strife: Veteran Edition) at least once on public record. With my credentials in mind I will point out that nothing in this video is correct, remotely correct, or even soundly reasoned (and this was even while they had the ability to research the sourcecode and ask experts, and seemingly didn't bother to do either of these things). It should be completely 100% disregarded. 

It's a harsh statement, but that video has caused vastly too much innuendo and misinformation in regards to Doom that it's arguably been harmful to its preservation. It even went as far as to confuse Digital Foundry (indirectly) as to how the engine worked which is frankly a bridge too far. 

Edited by Edward850

In Classic Doom slopes are impossible because the engine was coded for such.

In ZDoom and it's variants added such code to enable it, much akin to the Quake Engines.

The game runs in a 3D environment while the sprites are the 2.5D aspect of the game. Witness our favorite tomato, the Cacodemon. Despite having such an oafish demeanor, he has access to all of the dimensions. He can Fly vertically (Z), Left Right (X) and Forwards and Backwards (Y). Hell, Lost souls, they charge at you from those, and if shot with a non-killing blow, often have them drifting with in said environment, diagonal of its original trajectory.

If one were to makes 2016 Demake of the game, the creators would have a better chance with ZDoom as it has Slopes, 3D Floors (2floors 1 sector), and other variables that would make it possible. I believe Knee Deep in ZDoom would be a great example of what could be done as far as "remaking" under more "modern" aesthetics.