Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

35 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

on the Lost Levels project, we just replaced Wolfenstein with The Castle and Grosse with The Escape, de-wolfifying the levels and making them fit in with the creepy direction PSX Doom had, was quite a change. Wonder how this project handles them? Havent followed development that closely.

I hope the "de-wolfifying" can be rolled back. I know that leaving the "happy" atmosphere from Wolf3D won't exactly fit the PSX Doom feel. However, some of you may remember 1st Encounter WAD by Laz Rojas (he used to have a hosted site on Doomworld). This little mod had Wolf3D enemies, but somehow they were "unpolished" yet (compared to Arctic Wolf for example) and they had monster-like voices. I imagine PSX Doom with a bit less colorful SS guys, maybe with a bit reddish eyes and those voices. The Doom 2 intermission said it straight that these two levels represent Hell, so everything should have a bit darker tone, exactly the same as the whole PSX Doom had. I think there might be a chance of convincing Mr Hodges to prepare a dark version of "Get Them" or "Into The Dungeons" for example. With the right approach, almost everything could be done.

Current Wolf3D maps go well with the atmosphere. They are not copies of PC levels, and at the same time they do not repeat the beliefs from Lost Levels. What makes them special in their own way.

Is WolfSS and related music required? When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

In general, it is theoretically possible to change and introduce something, but adding something large will take a lot of time. There are 3 more maps from GEC that are not completed and we do not know about their progress.

And as I said before, it can be a "destruction of the foundation", because many people are already accustomed to what already exists. Such advice needed to be offered before September 2018 when Beta 1 was not yet released.

We must not forget about the restrictions. For example, the current textures from Wolf3D maps are 64x64 in size, precisely due to memory limitations.

Hello everyone, thank you all for your opinions, but what really happens here is that several people offer ideas, without thinking how new things will affect the memory of the game, we must not forget that everything is handled with an approximate 1.3MB , which first uses a part to load the PSXDOOM.WMD, then structures of the lumps SPRITES, TEXTURES and also the entire structure of the lumps, the more new things are added, it will potentially affect the maps, to the point that they do not enter and have to reduce more. However, I intend to reconstruct the executable to optimize code structures and declarations, in order to recover a little more memory for the new executable, and to be able to add more content.

Of course that will not happen overnight.

11 hours ago, LAWstorant said:

I hope the "de-wolfifying" can be rolled back. I know that leaving the "happy" atmosphere from Wolf3D won't exactly fit the PSX Doom feel. However, some of you may remember 1st Encounter WAD by Laz Rojas (he used to have a hosted site on Doomworld). This little mod had Wolf3D enemies, but somehow they were "unpolished" yet (compared to Arctic Wolf for example) and they had monster-like voices. I imagine PSX Doom with a bit less colorful SS guys, maybe with a bit reddish eyes and those voices. The Doom 2 intermission said it straight that these two levels represent Hell, so everything should have a bit darker tone, exactly the same as the whole PSX Doom had. I think there might be a chance of convincing Mr Hodges to prepare a dark version of "Get Them" or "Into The Dungeons" for example. With the right approach, almost everything could be done.

??? PSX Lost Levels is long complete and wont be touched further. Castle and Escape were designed with previous official PSX-exclusive secret levels in mind, they are half the original maps, and half new exclusive maps, geometry and layout is just that little bit different to feel familiar while also being their own levels.

This project is different.

18 hours ago, Devalaous said:

??? PSX Lost Levels is long complete and wont be touched further. Castle and Escape were designed with previous official PSX-exclusive secret levels in mind, they are half the original maps, and half new exclusive maps, geometry and layout is just that little bit different to feel familiar while also being their own levels.

This project is different.

I was wariting about the Master Edition only. Only.

23 hours ago, riderr3 said:

And as I said before, it can be a "destruction of the foundation", because many people are already accustomed to what already exists. Such advice needed to be offered before September 2018 when Beta 1 was not yet released.

If only I knew. I have a sad tendency of discovering GREAT projects when they are done. Not too much time for the Internet.

I've been playing Beta 3 and boy it's been an up and down rollercoaster of difficulty, I've been playing through on Ultra-Violence and I've been taking it day by day, and I got to The Living End but I ran out of ammo late in the map and died...

Anyway, here's a bug report.

2019-11-07_22-06.png.7a8cb17a5f2f4ed8f984d2fb19b3b953.png

I apologize for it being so big as I have no idea how to make it smaller, but when this area in The Chasm rises up, the teleporter here stays down and the walls are glitched.

2019-11-07_22-07.png

EDIT: Shrunk the images

Edited by Lynnie

Whenever a bug occurs on one of my maps, this is my reaction:

Spoiler

Anywho, the texture error is fixed though interestingly, ePSXe doesn't show a glitchy side texture, it just doesn't render it and renders parts of the map through it instead (kinda like how GZDooM does it weirdly O_o).

Do you guys mind if I post a custom map I am working on using the beta tools? It's not going to be an official map, just a conversion of a map I personally made and released here on the forums about a year ago now.

EDIT 2:

Well I WAS going to post some in-game screenshots of the map but the conversion tools are messing up... If I try to use build_fine_side it just hangs on what google translate says is "converting from PSXDooM to PSXFinal". Using regular build does work until I load the map with this weird error:

Spoiler

error.png.cbf249ac58a8621486ad3ab24825c030.png

So yeah... GoWithIt will have to take a back seat temporarily...

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Using regular build does work until I load the map with this weird error:

Reveal hidden contents

error.png.cbf249ac58a8621486ad3ab24825c030.png

Never encountered this error before. Maybe something extraordinary.

I found few more bugs, info under the spoiler:

Spoiler

@Deⓧiaz

Mount Pain

Just a two missing lines on automap.

adBbpWS.png

Baphomet Demesne

Another beyond-the-sky near chaingun. The black bottom is visible.

6dn1nfK.png

The blackness appearing when you looking in the side of huge starting "crack". That's another cause to simplify linedefs.

3pRzT8a.png

lYDHlcK.png

3vXmAtP.png

@mr-around

Dead Zone

It seems something wrong with the sector behind the revenant. In two screenshots the player stands at same place, but when he turns left, the floor of the sector disappears.

fahViCb.png

pIceFqJ.png

Odyssey of Noises

Very weird thin lines appeared at this points of view

61eu4Us.png

0w7PYvK.png

@DynamiteKaitorn

Mill

It's possible to skip whole section because this switch can be used even from the pit without raising platform.

Xg8EUKg.png

I suggest to use "support" texture on short 24-wide bars and lifts, because on long wall it's looking repetitive and weird, also it looks like a false lift.

UeATuV2.png

Omen

Just look at this. A lot of stairs + multiple half-circular sectors = significant slowdowns. Decide it yourself.

Ggnyp7u.png

Impossible Mission

Wrong ceiling heights at outside sectors near yellow key.

u8dnPST.png

Also here. This green platform have wrong floor height (it should be higher and available only from the step to the right).

S3gIn3N.png

Same area. It seems that raising floor activated for the second time, and it goes up! Look what lines activating it, and just make one line with raise action.

zfuSdxq.png

Also a special reminder to @Erick194. You know these screens that appear after playing demos. So, since the missing levels were added, but their authors were not indicated on these screens. Let's respect the original authors?

E61UuOU.png

List of authors to be added to in-game credit screens (according to DoomWiki):
Master levels - Jim Flynn, Sverre Andre Kvernmo.
Doom - Tim Willits, John Anderson.
Doom (No rest for the Living) - Arya Iwakura, Russell Meakim.
Doom (Xbox bonus maps) - Michael Bukowski, David Calvin.

I could have missed something, or there might be some updates later. To adjust this.

Fixed the mill and Omen problems. Also noticed the red door is near-impossible to enter so I raised the height of that room.

As for Imp.Miss, I'm not going to do anything since I have already fixed them. <3

Icon of Sin

2019-11-08_01-35_1.png.aab4598155a741515bbbe5180effcc3d.png2019-11-08_01-35.png.8825b525b46850c5d8087545189bcdf1.png

Vivisection

2019-11-10_15-33.png.6749b93ebcd192058957ead962bcee4f.png2019-11-10_15-34.png.1ae5d290a57d679a60cbb43f5f406c51.png

And then worst of all, I got stuck here in Baron's Banquet!

2019-11-10_20-23.png.af7e3c32fb2648ebb1663b36caaa6962.png2019-11-10_20-24.png.1f13d3ec2d3ebb49a72baf03dbd56526.png

(Also guys seriously please tell me how to make my pictures smaller and I will!)

EDIT: Could you guys make a patch for the normal PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom for the Nightmare difficulty? I'd love to replay the original maps on Nightmare too.

EDIT: Shrunk the images, thanks again for telling me how to do it guys!

Edited by Lynnie

On 11/11/2019 at 7:01 AM, Lynnie said:

EDIT: Could you guys make a patch for the normal PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom for the Nightmare difficulty? I'd love to replay the original maps on Nightmare too.

You don't even need the patches because it already exists in game, just hidden.

I converted memory values to Gameshark cheats, use them to to enable it. As example, ePSXe has "cheat codes" section and "cheats" folder. Google how to use them.

For Doom:

SLUS_000.77.txt

#Nightmare skill
800775FC 0004

#VRAM View (Pause menu)
800A88AC 0010

For Final Doom:

SLUS_003.31.txt

#Nightmare skill
8007796C 0004

#VRAM View (Pause menu)
800AB3CC 0010

For the real PSX hardware it's more trickier and requires additional Gameshark CD.

P.S.

As it turned out, in this case we will not have passwords for nightmare skill, and therefore, you can continue to play on this difficulty using the "warp to level" cheat or save states. Therefore, perhaps someday a small patches will be useful to add Nightmare skill with working passwords and VRAM viewer button cheat.

Edited by riderr3

On 11/11/2019 at 6:52 AM, riderr3 said:

(Stuff about the Nightmare codes)

Thanks man I'll definitely try this on real hardware sometime.

Anyway, another bug report.

Trapped on Titan

2019-11-12_01-36.png.7d4cf93f796cf04e0104780ee4777268.png2019-11-12_01-26_1.png.39c34857ea7bc2756832521c82ebf9e4.png
So I noticed that these silver pillars above activated and acted as crushers and such, and now I can't complete this section of the level because I can't get to the top of the stairs. x.x

From OP:

An error was discovered in the MAP02 of Master Levels (in Beta 3), which makes the level impassable, apologies in advance, will be corrected for subsequent betas, please use the cheat code (right, left, R2, R1 , Triangle, L1, O, X), to advance to the next level.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:28 PM, Impboy4 said:

From OP:

Ah, all right. I guess I'll level warp to the next level. :P

EDIT: I can't figure out how to get to Bad Dream from TEETH, I mean, how would you get up the ledge without the Arch-Vile?

Edited by Lynnie

On 11/13/2019 at 2:31 AM, Lynnie said:

Ah, all right. I guess I'll level warp to the next level. :P

EDIT: I can't figure out how to get to Bad Dream from TEETH, I mean, how would you get up the ledge without the Arch-Vile

I noticed that as well, also there was no way for me to finish black tower since the pillar blocks the button in the pit with the hell knights. 

On 11/13/2019 at 2:31 AM, Lynnie said:

EDIT: I can't figure out how to get to Bad Dream from TEETH, I mean, how would you get up the ledge without the Arch-Vile?

As far as I remember, in TEETH you need to find all the hidden switches (the lockers will open later) so that the passage to the Bad Dream opens (if there has not been a lot of changes here since Beta 2).

3 hours ago, Alfaifi said:

I noticed that as well, also there was no way for me to finish black tower since the pillar blocks the button in the pit with the hell knights.  

The Black Tower can be finished as I remember. Please post the screenshots where you had issues.

I also want to report that The Titan Anomaly, and The Farside of Titan are missing some sounds for the Revenant, Hell Knight, Cacodemon, Arachnotron, and maybe a few others if I remember correctly.

11 hours ago, riderr3 said:

As far as I remember, in TEETH you need to find all the hidden switches (the lockers will open later) so that the passage to the Bad Dream opens (if there has not been a lot of changes here since Beta 2).

The Black Tower can be finished as I remember. Please post the screenshots where you had issues.

Well there's a switch here and I have no idea what it does

2019-11-16_18-55.png.806324c757b5fe940a3e7e54dc31c658.png2019-11-16_18-55_1.png.3077f71f01347575b3cb265a4d87e43f.png

I'm willing to wager it has something to do with the silver highlighted rectangle around the bottom left but I can't seem to get there fast enough as it seems to be a repeatable switch that's probably a timed action.

EDIT: Okay there's multiple of these rectangular rooms, I'm guessing they're all secret switch rooms, I've hit some of them I believe on some floors.

Edited by Lynnie

On 11/16/2019 at 6:03 PM, riderr3 said:

Will try to look for my SS and post a screenshot of the issue.

Meanwhile a small issue to report, sorry for not being able to show where the issue is exactly, but here you go:

In the Crossing Archeron there is is one elevator with missing texture once it is lowered.

2playersgecmasteredition.png.a95de44cc6e882481f128ccf417326e1.png

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of two player working, this was a pain in the ass to set up, especially because one of the PSXs has trouble reading discs and the other reads them just fine.

2playerfuckupmasteredition.png.5379787f244cb24a71b1bf09b4b805f1.png

EDIT: And this is what happens when one game tries to boot into the Doom Beta's MAP01, and the other tries to boot into the Master Levels Beta's MAP01, just for shits and giggles. :P

Edited by Lynnie

On 12/23/2018 at 5:05 AM, scalliano said:

No sweat, will do. I'll post the amended one later on.

And yes, Master Edition runs on the PS Classic without any issues.

EDIT:

mLJ4s7h.png

That's great, I was just looking for a thumbnail to use for the game on my PS Classic. However, I seem to be having difficulty getting this game to run on it properly. It loads up all the Doom menus fine but as soon as you try actually starting a level it freezes up and gets stuck with the loading icon. I haven't waited to see how long it stays stuck but figured I might ask here first how you have yours set up in case maybe it's a USB flash drive problem on my end. Although, I have tried with other games and they worked fine off the USB.

At the moment I've got a 64GB USB FAT32 format in controller port 2 with Autobleem and just this game on it. Any ideas? Many thanks for any suggestions.

18 hours ago, handofthesly said:

That's great, I was just looking for a thumbnail to use for the game on my PS Classic. However, I seem to be having difficulty getting this game to run on it properly. It loads up all the Doom menus fine but as soon as you try actually starting a level it freezes up and gets stuck with the loading icon. I haven't waited to see how long it stays stuck but figured I might ask here first how you have yours set up in case maybe it's a USB flash drive problem on my end. Although, I have tried with other games and they worked fine off the USB.

At the moment I've got a 64GB USB FAT32 format in controller port 2 with Autobleem and just this game on it. Any ideas? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Considering the age of the post you quoted, make sure you're running the latest version (which is Beta 3). I know Beta 2 had an issue that hung it at the loading screen that necessitated an update within the next day.

19 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Considering the age of the post you quoted, make sure you're running the latest version (which is Beta 3). I know Beta 2 had an issue that hung it at the loading screen that necessitated an update within the next day.

Yes, I failed to mention that sorry, I am running Beta 3 version. I just found it strange how it would load up the start menus fine but then freeze up when trying to start an actual level. Will keep having a play with it, I've read that some people have had success using powered USB hubs.

4 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Yes, I failed to mention that sorry, I am running Beta 3 version. I just found it strange how it would load up the start menus fine but then freeze up when trying to start an actual level. Will keep having a play with it, I've read that some people have had success using powered USB hubs.

Are you also sure you're giving it enough time to load? This is a very early Playstation title; at realspeed each map could easily be a 30-45 second load.

9 hours ago, Lynnie said:

20191120_222857.jpg.cf4673fa185b0c72ce01d5416ca9ab8d.jpg

Got this at Canyon of the Dead during a co-op session.

Co-op testing is super helpful, by the way. We don't really have much of the means to do it.

Has anyone mentioned American McGee's idmap01?

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/idstuff/doom2/idmap01

I honestly consider Sewers and Betray to be a stain upon official Doom releases even if their makers made great stuff in nerve.wad, while idmap01 is sorely missing even if it lacks monsters. Although the Heretic E6M3 version of it certainly has them, but the exit room was chopped off that version.  However, that's nothing a little cut&pasting can't fix.

For secret exits in E1M1 and map02, I suggest doing more than having a plain wall function as the secret exit switch.

I recommend something like I did in map01 and map02 of this wad whether simpler or more complex:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/110273-entry-hangar-various-map01e1m1-file-updated-1117-746am/