Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Any peculiar Doom habits?

I have this weird habit of dying Dx
And i tend to not save at all (console gamer life made me used to "save rooms") so when i die i have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN

Getting lost and going in circles for half an hour on a map until I either find a really disguised door, path, button.

...or until I end up having to watch a FULL walk through of whatever level that I'm playing on.

I CAN'T resist to make infighting, even if i have planed to don't make it.

Not moving to next map if i haven't found all secrets and killed all monsters.

Using SSG only on worthy enemies and only at short distances.

Never using BFG9000, except moments where it's the only way out.

Shooting with Chaingun by short rates (clicking mouse instead of holding) long distance targets.

Not avoiding to use Rocket Launcher against Pain Elementals (i want them to feel that pain).

Playing only on Ultra Violence, no matter what WAD. If it's too hard, it becomes a challenge and valuable experience.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, FractalBeast said:

All barrels must be destroyed.

^ This!

5 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Now THAT is strange! any particular reason?

Some time between 2005-2010 I played quite a bit of World of Warcraft. One of the main stats to pay attention to while leveling was your experience bar. The experience needed to hit the next level always ended in either a 5 or 0. (Or maybe just a 0.) Quests rewarded you with experience in multiples of 5, unless you were over-leveled and got hit with the XP reduction percentage. Enemies killed that were of your level also rewarded XP in multiples of 5. Lower or higher level enemies gave amounts in-between, as did shared XP when grouping. To keep my XP bar looking "nice", I would always try to keep the number ending in either 5 or 0 when turning in quests. In some cases that was not possible, so 4 or 9 was the next closest thing.

tl;dr - Just some minor OCD nonsense.

After playing Brutal Doom with Chaos Maps, and trying to play on Hard Realism difficulty, I now have a habit of grouping all enemies together, adn trying to take them al out with a single shotgun blast.  I also now play with no crosshair.  I've gotten alot better at doing this, but there is always just that one enemy you miss that kills you from behind, or I will tend to miss alot because of no cross hair.

I have also gone back to playing with freelook turned off for older .wads, and map packs like Serenity trilogy, because those .wads were made before free look, and by design, you can see that clearly.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Points of no return

Some people say this is a mapping no-no, that you should be able to always access all areas from start to finish, but I think it can be a cool concept if done properly.  A big door closing behind you, a canyon to drop into, a teleporter to an area you can see in the distance, all can be good if the mapper can project the sense via architecture and visual clues that if you move forward here, there's no going back, and so you'd better get everything you need first.  

Don't get me wrong, it does suck when one door you go through locks from the other side, and you don't know until you decide to go back for that megasphere and you're like "okay, I'm locked out now". The doors at the end of E3M1 and Map10 come to mind

One Doom habit I have that spills over into other games where there is no benefit is strafe-running.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, [HotPocket] said:

Getting lost and going in circles for half an hour on a map until I either find a really disguised door, path, button.

...or until I end up having to watch a FULL walk through of whatever level that I'm playing on.

Make sure you never play the 1990s Doom 2 mapset "Eternal Doom".

Good god.  Every level was horrible in that regard.

32 minutes ago, Master O said:

Make sure you never play the 1990s Doom 2 mapset "Eternal Doom".

Good god.  Every level was horrible in that regard.

<- This guy who barely has any sense of direction had no problem finishing off ED. I mean sure, I looked up a video for MAP30 because that's cryptic progression on steroids lol, but that's it. I've played maps that were much worse than ED in this regard tbh...

ED gets more hate than it deserves imo, if you approach it with the right mindset, and not expecting to blaze through every single map in a very short time span, it's quite an enjoyable journey.

10 hours ago, Empyre said:

One Doom habit I have that spills over into other games where there is no benefit is strafe-running.

x2

3 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

Shooting any computer panel just in case it's a gun shot switch :P

I mean, as long as you don't carry that habbit over IRL...

8 hours ago, Mortrixs19 said:

Shooting any computer panel just in case it's a gun shot switch :P

Also to use any computer console just in case it opens something.

I tend to pick up medikits and stimpacks even if I'm missing FAR less health than would be sensible.

As an example:

I'll pick up a stimpack if I'm missing only 3 health sometimes, I'll pick up a medikit if I'm missing only 9 health sometimes.

I'm also known to still pick up health/armour bonuses, despite being 200/200 maxed.

Terrible terrible habit lol

17 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I'm also known to still pick up health/armour bonuses, despite being 200/200 maxed.

Terrible terrible habit lol

I do that as well, it's more due to it giving such a small bonus that I don't really care if I'm not making the most out of it.

18 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I do that as well, it's more due to it giving such a small bonus that I don't really care if I'm not making the most out of it.

same here, and I use the super shotgun way more than any other weapon

On 10/16/2019 at 12:59 PM, dmslr said:

in cases, where I decide to save a shell on a imp by switching from SSG to the regular shotgun, the God of Random gives me minimal damage so I have to shoot at the imp for the second time. It's so frustrating.

And that's when I actually use the pistol. It's very frustrating, because I purposefully switched back to the regular shotgun so I wouldn't waste a shell. And I shoot it, and it's still standing. The only thing more frustrating than that is when I switch to the pistol, and it still takes two or three more pistol rounds to put the damn thing down. Might've well just used the SSG to begin with.

Hallo,

most of the peculiar habits are well known, shit happens :/. Atm for me its the pistol in Brutal Doom, it eats all my munition in single-shot. Seems to "Burst-fire" automaticaly.

1 hour ago, KickAss said:

Hallo,

most of the peculiar habits are well known, shit happens :/. Atm for me its the pistol in Brutal Doom, it eats all my munition in single-shot. Seems to "Burst-fire" automaticaly.

If I recall correctly, the pistol in new version of Brutal Doom has "single fire" and "burst fire" modes. The modes can be changed by pressing the alt-fire button.

I use the regular shotgun at every remotely viable opportunity and have genuinely considered making my own mod that gives it precedence over the SSG in slot 3. I just love the thing, nothing feels better than quickly nailing a shotgunner rounding a corner when he might have dinged you were you still reloading the SSG. I tend to carry it a lot when blind playing maps for that reason. I don't have the same affection that many players seem to have for the SSG, though I recognize it's immeasurable usefulness, it's just a tool to me

On 10/16/2019 at 9:38 AM, Jetx_121 said:

never using the plasma gun and bfg 9000 until i remember i have them when im out of shells,bullets or rockets. lol

i really feel dumb when this happens.

Same! 

Trying to do speedrun-like routing through a level that I haven't even beaten yet. I also try to kill everything as soon as I see it instead of running past anything, which seems a little contradictory considering my routing.

Sometimes I try to test my luck and punch out enemies way stronger than me (eg Barons or that group of Pinkies in Doom 2's Map 31) before I find a Berserk pack. Never ends well.

Whenever I'm just running around a level exploring or looking for monsters, I always have to switch to my Shotgun (or Super Shotgun for Doom 2) as my "default" weapon. If I'm low on shells, then the Chaingun is my second choice.

I also have a weird habit of being reluctant to use my Plasma Gun if i have less than 300 cells. I dunno, anything less than 300 just looks like I'll run out in an emergency.

Shaking my view as though to clear my head after a fight if I get hit a lot.

Avoiding health/ammo pickups if I won't get full benefit from them. Half my Hexen playthrough was carefully tiptoeing around mana pickups if I had more than 185 but less than 200 of that type in hand. I feel I'm more careful around them than around the enemies! (And once I do get to 200, it's freeing, so I avoid using that type unless I plan to use a lot of it at once. Frost Shards kinda sucks anyway so that part came easily enough, at least.)

I always try to kill most enemies as soon as I see them, regardless of current loadout. If I just have the single shotgun but found myself in a room full of Hell Knights or up against multiple Revenants, I don't consider that I might have missed a better weapon down another path; I assume the level is busting my balls and try to push through, sometimes more than once if I die. Then I'll take the other path and find the weapon that was less than two rooms away. Or circle back and see it lying there in the start room. MM 2 has been doing this to me A Lot.

Also, if there's a group of enemies on a ledge above me or in an adjacent room, I will also try to kill them immediately without considering if it would be possible to flank them or get in closer. And I don't just mean distant enemies in cages, I mean actually above me. I've spent an extra dozen rounds or so trying to pick off enemies and then run up the staircase on the left more than once. Small elevators also make me very guilty of doing this. I guess I could be avoiding damage this way, but then I always feel sort of stupid afterwards.